Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Just quit my job…
  • willard

Try doing it without wearing a black cape and carrying a comedy scythe.

The trouble with this is, when you have responsibilities, it is difficult to get off the merry-go-round. If you have a stable job, but don’t like it, there’s not a lot you can do if you need to have that money coming in to pay bills and support people.

I’d love to throw it in and travel, or start my own business doing stuff, but the uncertainty and responsibility of providing for a wife and [soon to be] baby means that I can’t.

Brown, good luck. live the dream.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did the same thing around…it’ll be 14 years ago in September. Nothing to go to, No savings. Just bought a house. Didn’t tell mrs deadly for a few weeks either. 😳 😀

Started throwing down some laminate floors for friends, friends of friends, etc…printed some cards, fluked my way into solid wood and here I am 14 years later doing much the same thing and still enjoying it.

Necessity is the mother of invention and you never quite know what putting yourself in this situation might lead to. I figured I was so unhappy in the white collar/corporate/cushy company car world, that I had to throw a major curveball at myself to propel myself into doing something that might make me happy.

And I have all the excuses I need to buy big shiny power-tools. 😮

To the OP, hope this is the move you make that you look back in a decade’s time and say “Best thing I ever did…workwise.” It was for me.

brooess
    Free Member

Def think about freelancing if you’re a writer. Make sure you do some research about day rates first though, so you don’t undersell yourself. You’ll be amazed what you can get – and how much more pleasant it is to be able to focus on just producing the work.
    I’m an ex-suit, now contracting as a marketing planner and I wouldn’t go back perm unless I was desperate – so much better being freed up from all the shenanigans which go with perm work

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I’m a freelance writer/editor/proofreader and occasional contractor if the freelance work dries up. Decent day rates and much less of the office politics rubbish that you have to deal with when you’re an employee. Currently I’m on a contract proofing/copy editing for a commercial printer and publisher, it’s pretty stress free, but I am also busy with my freelance clients so it’s a bit manic at the mo. But you have to take the work when you can.

Don’t regret quitting wage slavery one bit. I’ve been skint at times though, luckily partner has been supportive. I have had a couple of clients stiff me too, so protect yourself if you go freelance, I don’t take work from anyone I don’t know and trust unless they pay a hefty deposit up front these days.

Writing is not for the faint hearted either, you put your opinions out there and there will always be someone who doesn’t like what you write and will hound you through every available channel to tell you so. You need a pretty thick skin.

Well done on getting out of something that doesn’t make you happy.

Jossie

I’ve not read all the replies but did the same 4 weeks ago and not regretted it. I’m lucky enough to have enough cash saved up to be ok until After Christmas so have enjoyed a few weeks of riding and now on a pre booked holiday. The plan is to start looking seriously for something else when I get back, but I could quite happily retire if I had the funds.

windyg
    Free Member

I decided a few months I needed to change career, set up my own garden maintenance company, quit my job, I have so much work I am booking stuff 3 weeks ahead and getting mate in to help, best decision I’ve made in a long time, I decide how much I earn, what work i do and set my own hours.
    Sometimes you just have to do it and take a little risk in life no point looking back and regretting not doing something.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Just quit my job…’ is closed to new replies.