Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Just noticed a problem with a new bike after the first ride, what now?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Took delivery of a new bike on Wednesday, assembled it and tightened all bolts as you do ready for the first ride next day. Its a 29er with alfine 11 so i’m new to the alfine thingy. Had a quick spin round the block to check saddle height, etc then off to the trails…… bloody hell it was hard going but i’m new to the hub gear and the bike is almost 8lb heavier than my carbon mtb so didn’t think too much into it until today…..

Just gave the bike the once over for a ride and the rear brake was very ‘grabby’ so i investigated further… the rear rotor is seriously bent/warped! Now i didn’t do anything to cause this on my first run out but where do i stand with the bike shop (mail order) as i never noticed this before the bike was used? Advise please….

Thanks in advance 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Contact the shop, with photos. It’s clearly not fit for purpose. Any decent shop would ship out a new rotor.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Out of interest is it a Genesis High Latitude Alfine? I would contact them and ask them to replace the new rotor but as it is quite a cheap component if they start dragging their feet I would just buy a decent one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Contact them, but don’t mention the ‘not fit for purpose’ bit. You’ll sound like a bellend.

shortcut

It is not unfit for purpose. It is damaged in transit!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Contact them, but don’t mention the ‘not fit for purpose’ bit. You’ll sound like a bellend.

+1

Starting a conversation with “not fit for purpose” puts you at the back of the queue. Especially when damaged. To many people are throwing this claim around without understanding it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I didn’t say he should use that in his correspondence with the shop. I would hope any adult would be able to make their own mind up how to speak to a shop about such an issue.

LMT
    Free Member

If its from Leisure Lakes i can say there service is top quality! I emailed them as my one brake lever was bent, tbh i didn’t notice it for a month just thought the angle was slightly out, took the bike to my LBS to get the avids bled as they were and tbh still are lousy. Got the bike back and was told the lever is bent thats why the rear is sharper than the front, tempted to bend the front one as well!!

Emailed LL, told them what had happened offered to post a pic or remove the lever to send it back, no issues 3 days later a replacement in the post. Just be open and honest and no trading standard rubbish, well not until the 3rd email/letter/phone call!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

The bike in question is a Genesis fortitude alfine 11.

I’ve just removed the rotor and its as bent as John Inman!!! There doesn’t appear to be any marks from an impact, could it be heat/braking related perhaps?? The rotor is an Avid G3 so not that cheap i’d have thought?

I’ll give them a call tomorrow and i won’t mention the fit for purpose thing.

Cheers guys

mintimperial

The rotor is an Avid G3 so not that cheap i’d have thought?

If it’s a 160 you can pick them up for a few quid on eBay. 185s and 203s are a bit pricer. I think I have a couple of G3 rotors in reasonable condition floating about the spares box, drop me a line if you get stuck, my username at gmail dot com and I’ll have a look.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Contact them, but don’t mention the ‘not fit for purpose’ bit. You sound like a bellend.

ftfy

epo-aholic
    Free Member

cheers mintimperial

shadowrider
    Free Member

What !!! John Inman was bent !!!

ratherbeintobago

CRC have got Avid HS1 rotors for less than G3s. In theory the HS1 is less shrieky…

pdw
    Free Member

There doesn’t appear to be any marks from an impact, could it be heat/braking related perhaps??

Nah – courier will have trodden on it.

Legally it’s the bike shop’s problem, and you’d be within your rights to send it back at their expense.

In practice, ask them politely how they wish to resolve it. Say that you’re happy to fit a new rotor if they post you one, and that’s almost certainly what they’ll do.

Euro
    Free Member

The rear disc on my 456 was bent from new. I wanted to ride the bike straight away and decided it was less hassle to buy one that day than chase up a replacement. The bent one is still in the shed and a few minutes with the hammer should fix it if needed.

legend
    Free Member

Alternatively……. bend it back into shape and go riding?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

call shop, tell them what you told us.

DT78
    Free Member

rotor truers are pretty cheap and a useful tool to have about. I’d try that first before bothering the shop.

franksinatra

I’ve just removed the rotor and its as bent as John Inman

Don’t say that either as that will also make you sound like a bell end.

bigrich

be all high and mighty. mention you’ll post on here if they don’t fix it. then tell them they don’t know a thing. start misquoting consumer law.

works a treat everytime.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replies and now an update……

Couldn’t have been easier!

Spoke to Steve @ Real Cycles and he couldn’t be more helpful, said he’d dispatch one asap and was sorry to hear my woes! Big shout out to Real cycles 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Just noticed a problem with a new bike after the first ride, what now?’ is closed to new replies.