• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by SST.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • just nearly fell for my 1st phishing scam
  • meeeee
    Free Member

not seen this one before but i just got an email supposedly from inland revenue telling me i had a refund due after sending in my latest return (which i had done in May). As i was actually expecting a refund i just clicked the link and starting filling out the form 😳

But stopped just before pressing submit, and thought i’d ring them to see. Lo and behold a scam email. I must be getting gullible in my old age.

Normally i bin any bank ones, but i think i just got fooled by this one as i was due a refund adn was quite close to having sent my return in!

Ah well at least i realised in time.

Anyway, link here to what it looks like so no one else gets fooled 🙂

HMRC

its the ‘example 1’ link if you scroll down the page (although mine was slightly different)

samuri
    Free Member

If I recieve *anything* official looking by email it gets binned. Anyone important will contact me by snail mail.

cp

anything in the web address before the actual address you want of any site should set alarm bells ringing. lucky you checked – could have been nasty!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    meeeee
    Free Member

yeah i normally check the web address, but this came out as:

http://secure.hmrc.gov.uk.hmrc-service.com/tax-refund/refund.php

so it looked sort of ok to my non expert eye!

I’ve had ones before that have obviously been redirecting to unofficial sites

actually one thing that made it suspicios was the inland revenue logo on that form didnt seem right

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

looks OK except: the actual site is hmrc-service.com

meeeee
    Free Member

ah well a lesson learned, as Samuri says above, bin them all and wait for snail mail!

cp

yep, there was .com after and initial .gov.uk – gives it away

BoardinBob

And if it was that secure it should be https://

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve just NOT fallen for a phishing scan. I got a reminder email from British Gas that my bill was overdue with a link. Stupidly, I clicked and paid. Now it wasn’t a scam, everything checks out OK. but I broke the golden view. But should they be putting links on their reminder emails?

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Me and er indoors have both had very good looking e-mails supposedly from paypal. Apart from the name not being right they were spot on in every respect. No spelling mistakes logo identical even the colour was spot on. Samuri has the right idea.

SST
    Free Member

Who hosts these sites?

I can’t type anything anywhere without my IP address being logged and there are sites whos adverts tell me acuratly where I’m living, so it certainly shouldn’t be rocket science for the authorities to trace them and go round and kick them in the nuts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘just nearly fell for my 1st phishing scam’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts