Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just lost the love of my life (bike content!)
  • sangobegger
    Free Member

5 years we have been together, through thick and thin. Ridden some of the finest singletrack in Scotland, sat outside pubs after sweaty summer rides and made me a better rider for it all- but alas the time has come to say goodbye.
    My beautiful Mountaincycle Fury WAS going to get a funky new powdercoat (Light blue and white), but a thorough inspection before sending her off revealed a rather nasty crack in the swinging arm – Golspie/Laggan/Fort Bill no doubt did their bit, so answers on a postcard, what do I do for a fitting send off?

Sell her,Mount her on the wall, or ??????????????????

sambob
    Free Member

Wall. Or maybe take the swingarm off and use it for making lots of noise at races.

martymac

wall.
    good talking point.
    and good memories.

sangobegger
    Free Member

I’m already warming to the idea!

rickmeister

My Attack trail went out with the recycling…..

martinxyz
    Free Member

split it in two with a dremmel and place what looks like a whole frame on one wall.. the other on the wall opposite.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A while ago a friend’s old Marin died on a ride. After years of service, it cracked. The lovely folks at ATB sales said, “OK, so it’s way out of warranty, but can you send back the bit of the frame where it cracked?”

The BB and down tube area were where it happened.

I placed the frame in the stand, and picked up the hacksaw.

I have never performed an autopsy on a loved one, or a pet. But it felt like I imagine that would feel. Wolfy the Marin had been on so many rides with us, had seen so much, so many adventures. Cutting him up like that felt awful.

(ATB sorted out an awesome upgraded replacement, btw. Superb service!)

sangobegger
    Free Member

2004 edition, and I don’t think Mountaincycle even have a UK importer any more, so time for an upgrade to something a bit more modern methinks.

stevede
    Free Member

My old attack trail, loved that bike, this happened 4 and 1/2 years into a 5 year warranty, ATB came good with a replacement which i promptly swapped for something more appropriate at the time – a dh bike!

Sorry for your loss btw!

Northwind

Burial at sea.

mboy
    Free Member

split it in two with a dremmel and place what looks like a whole frame on one wall.. the other on the wall opposite.

This… Definitely do this!

Pure class…

CFH that’s quite a moving story, and good on ATB sales. Have always heard great things about the backup and warranty cover so it’s good to hear the flip side to some of the horror stories you hear of when warranties don’t get honoured (certain Fruit based manufacturer in Halifax ring any bells?)…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

stevede, similar place of snappage. Glad to hear ATB were good for you too.

stevede
    Free Member

They were good as gold to be honest, the failure caused me to damage the spider on my xt cranks which the lbs mechanic also mentioned to ATB and when the replacement came through it was fitted with some brand new XT cranks and a new seatpost and clamp due to a diameter change meaning my old ones wouldn’t fit. Top notch, i took the frame into my lbs on the Thurs tea time, Fri afternoon ATB had a courier pick up the frame, Tuesday i had my new frame and bits. You don’t get service like that too often.

sangobegger
    Free Member

There is of course an upside. Chance to clear the shed of all the bits left over to fund the new love of my life ,AND, I’m not getting “another” bike, just replacing a busted one – so her indoors will have less to moan abouts.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just lost the love of my life (bike content!)’ is closed to new replies.