Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • just joined the singletrack jobless club
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

got called to meeting this morning to find out that i no longer have a job been made redundant 🙁 and iam currently sat at home on 30 days “gardening leave” 🙄 must admit had a bit of an idea on friday this was coming so thus just had a bit of a sh**ty weekend stressing about it and cause the weather was bad didn’t even get to ride my bike oh well looks like i’ll have a bit of time to do that 😀

Moses

Moi aussi, – from a month ago.
    Feeling aimless.

footflaps

There’s a lot of it around, my company went from break even in 2010 to $18m loss that year, which for 100ish employee firm is quite a hit!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

What line of work and where in the world are you?

peterfile
    Free Member

$18m loss that year, which for 100ish employee firm is quite a hit!

Ouch. 😯

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

forklift service engineer with exp in plant(diggers,dumpers etc) as well,live in Colchester in Essex updating c.v. as we speak and iam going to fire it off to a few firms that might be looking,beyond that **** knows got a bit of savings that should keep wolves from the door for about 5months.

wwaswas

how do you lose £180,000 per employee?

What were they all doing, spending their days burnign £50 notes?

Martin.B
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, loads of time to get some riding done

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that OP. Reach out if you need help. There are a lot of with with both personal and professional experience of this kind of thing that would be happy to help.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sorry for the shite news.

Make sure you do go out riding and dont waste it on the internet.

Can you not offer your services freelance ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Make a plan, be organized …

Plan what fun things you are going to do and do them
    Plan how you are going to approach finding work
    Make a list of those jobs/chores you had been meaning to do and get on and do them

Have a mental approach that sees this as an opportunity

Good luck

richmtbguru
    Free Member

There are loads of jobs out there mate, you’ve just got to find them! Chin up and good luck.

footflaps

You have a moron for a CEO (since been replaced).

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

bump just thought i would let everyone know i’ve got my first interview on Monday and looks like i fit the critrea for the job down to the ground so wish me luck and thanks for all the support 🙂

p.s been out for damn good bike ride to day so what with the news feel very positive.

br
    Free Member

Most probably a ‘paper’ loss, ie investment write-down – or if part of a Group, it was where the biggest tax advantage was.

bland

forklift service engineer with exp in plant(diggers,dumpers etc) as well,live in Colchester in Essex updating c.v. as we speak and iam going to fire it off to a few firms that might be looking,beyond that **** knows got a bit of savings that should keep wolves from the door for about 5months.

My local mechanic is a forklift engineer, worked for Stihl, set himself up doing it and got himself a little garage unit and there isnt enough hours in teh day for him. Flat out doing forklifts 3-4 days a week on 150-200/day and the rest of the days meching cars.

trust me if you are any good you wont be out of work long, if you are shit though its tuff, hard times.

Loads of jobs out there for decent folk with their head screwed on, just not enough for all the dross to have a job.

Load sof peolpe i know would love to employ hard working keen folk but they aint around, the good ones have jobs and the rest are bone idle.

So to summarise, you will either be happy reading this or thinking balls, your choice!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

So bland — anyone who aint in work is shit eh ?

You people need a reality check– myopic views are ten a penny.

Harry_the_Spider

bump just thought i would let everyone know i’ve got my first interview on Monday and looks like i fit the critrea for the job down to the ground so wish me luck and thanks for all the support

p.s been out for damn good bike ride to day so what with the news feel very positive.

Good luck fella. I got laid off along with 56 others earlier this year. About 50 of us are back in work. There is hope out there but the first couple of days after it happens are horrible.

You are right. A good bike ride in the rain sorts you out.

curvature
    Free Member

Don’t worry and as others have said plan what you want to do and how you can do it.

I knew what was coming last year so had started to make plans so when my redundancy was announced in Feb this year it wasn’t a shock.

I then set my own business up with a good friend and former colleague. Our hard work has started to pay off now as we can’t take on any more work this year and have projects to work on on Jan and Feb next year.

The only downside is that my cycling has gone from 2-3 times a week to nothing. However that is all starting to change now!!

Good luck whatever you do.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

bump just been for my 2nd interview of the week and got another one tomorrow and have been offered the job i went for today and iam waiting to hear back on the one i went for on monday so looks like i might have a bit of a prob as the one i went for on monday is the one i would like but they havn’t offered it to me yet but should know by friday and ive got till friday to let todays one know.
    on the plus side todays is round the corner from my house so ride to work but money is not quite as good as ive been used to but ho humm if someone had said to me last monday that i would be stuck with this problem less than two weeks later i wouldn’t have belived them 🙂

kimbers

found out last week our grant didnt get renewed so im out of work after xmas

a few years ago wouldnt have bothered me, but with kids a- 2 week old and a 2 year old all of a sudden its quite stressful

had my 1st rejection today too!

transapp
    Free Member

And that’s a good news day.

Nicely done. Similar situation earlier in the year, couldn’t be in a better job (for me) now. Happy times.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fatsimon – good for you ! You will of course be sat in the pub in a few weeks bemoaning the fact you weren’t off work longer and didn’t get to do those things on the list I suggested you make, you did make a list didn’t you ? 😉

scaled
    Free Member

Best bet is to phone the place with the job you want and be straight with them, let them know that you’ve got another offer but would rather come to work for them if you think you’re the right person for them as you think they’re the right company for you.

be proactive 🙂

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

kimbers sorry to here that only advice i can offer is whats worked for me and thats update c.v and fire it off to everyone that is in your field of work even if there not activly advertsing you never know after that find the agencys that recruit in your field and get your c.v to them and hit the web looking as far as agencys go found that its good to keep on at them every couple of day for “updates” as it stops them “forgtting you” good luck got my fingers crossed for you 🙂

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

jambalya did get round to making a list so did the missus strangly our two list didn’t quite match up 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers – sorry to hear – see my original post above. FWIW I think any job advertised you are interested in tweak your CV for, I’ve pretty much never used a single one-size-fits-all CV anytime over my 35yr working life.

Try and relax and enjoy your Christmas – its a truly wonderful time with young kids, I am sure you are feeling a bit stressed but you are blessed to have your family.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

scaled did just that got the phone to the agency that got me the interview on monday they are going to make a few enquires for me so should have an answear in plenty of time to let todays know one way or other

jambalaya
    Free Member

fatsimon mk2 – Member
    jambalya did get round to making a list so did the missus strangly our two list didn’t quite match up

Excellent. I still have my list, been chipping away at it when I get the chance … I find it’s quite empowering

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘just joined the singletrack jobless club’ is closed to new replies.