Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Just how screwed is this frame exactly?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

I seem to have gouged some bits out of the bottom bracket area of my frame when the chain fell off the inside ring. Seeking some opinions … should I be afraid of catastrophic frame failure? Or seeing as the scraping is outside the line of the chainstay, is it Just Fine Really?

sideshow
    Free Member

(right click either of those and “view image” will make them a good bit larger)

MussEd
    Free Member

Fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    composite
    Free Member

Fine.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

That looks like absolutely epic chainsuck rather than chain drop.

Either way, it’s not going to fail catastrophically.. or at all.

pudd
    Free Member

Does the BB still rotate smoothly?

if yes then nothing to worry about.

AlexSimon

Fine (disclaimer: Or You May Die)

Something’s wrong in the setup though. Do some tweaking to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

sideshow
    Free Member

Hell yeah, something’s wrong… Having finally extracted the chain (probably causing as much damage as the original incident) somewhere out on top of Blaenpedol, my next step was to check the limit screw. There wasn’t one. Lol.

davidjey
    Free Member

What they said ^^^^^

Intrigued to know just how you ended up with that much gouging from the chain ‘falling off’ though. Did you keep pedalling for five minutes wondering why there was no drive whilst your chain gouged bike chunks out of the BB shell…..?!

sideshow
    Free Member

Cheers for putting my mind to rest anyway. Right now to spend more on this bike 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

I noticed pretty much right away – though it has fallen off in the past so you’re probably looking at multiple injuries. The gouge on the rear side was probably caused as much by trying to get the chain out again. It was stuck behind one of the bolts holding the inner cog in place.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Cut your losses and buy a new bike. And get a hair cut you goddam ape!

sideshow
    Free Member

Why on earth would I want an all mountain bike, from what I’ve seen you can’t ride them over a 2″ tabletop without stacking it!

turtleheading
    Free Member

“Hi kids, hungover downhillin is bad mmmkay”

These bones aint gonna break themselves!

takisawa2

Put it this way, at least your bike is lighter now.

the-muffin-man

Are you sure something on the chainset isn’t rubbing against the BB shell – that seems way too much damage for the odd dropped chain.

singlespeedstu

is it Just Fine Really?

It depends if you’re looking for an excuse to buy a new frame or not. 😉

If you are it’s fecked for sure. 🙂

sideshow
    Free Member

@stu lol

@muffin man the chain got stuck between cog bolt and frame. I saw it carve one of the gouges happen myself as I pulled it back out again. I was quite surprised at how hard the chain was… knife meet butter (tough call but I don’t tend to carry a crank puller on the hill)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Just how screwed is this frame exactly?’ is closed to new replies.