Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Just how much walking?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Off to Scotland next week. Part of the trip should see a ride/walk through the Cairngorms.
    Route planned is Glenmore-Ryvoan-east of Bynack More to the Fords of Avon – down Geln Derry – round to Corrour then the Laraig Ghru and back to the start. I know the bit to Ryvoan and back from Corrour and I reckon the latter will be 50% ish pushing. What about the bit from Ryvoan to Corrour?
    Also how quick does the water level at the Fords drop?
    Of course we could just walk over the tops instead. Bet that would be easier.

scotroutes

Lots of walking. I did exactly that trip year before last. I did it as a short overnighter, bivvying near Corrour. I ignored all advice not to bother with a bike through the Laraig Ghru and wished I hadn’t.

There has been some more path maintenance near the Laraig an Laoigh since then but I doubt it will make the riding any easier.

Ford’s of Avon is always a bit of a lottery but it’s been reasonably dry of late, the snow has mostly melted and it should be fine unless in the immediate aftermath of a substantial downpour.

epicyclo

If you’re not prepared to walk in the mountains in Scotland, you’ll miss lots of good bits.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. I must admit I would rather just walk over the tops.

scotroutes

Oh – here. I forgot I’d written up this trip.
    http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/06/twa-lairigs.html

Spin
    Free Member

There will always be those that don’t believe the Laraig Ghru is a waste of time on a bike and need to see for themselves…

scotroutes

😳

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Just how much walking?’ is closed to new replies.