Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Just how good is mountainbiking?
  • ton

it is bloody awesome.
    after spending the last 4 years plodding slowly on the road/canal, I rode to work offroad today.
    9 miles including a dh run in the local woods, I am buzzing my head off………….I love mtbing……… 😀

that’s all.

chambord
    Free Member

Where do you work? Offroad for my commute is going across the field in Platt Fields park

Drac

I’ve forgotten but I know one day my mojo will return and I’ll remember just why I loved it.

scaled
    Free Member

I was just thinking something similar.

I think it’s better than drugs, i took a lot of drugs at uni and didn’t have a bike. I genuinely think i would have spent less time studying and at uni if i’d had a mountain bike.

As with chambard though, jealous of the commute. in the 13 miles of my commute I climb/descend 72 feet

ndthornton
    Free Member

At the end of August there was loads of people on here about to jack it all in.
    Weather changes everything 🙂

the-muffin-man

I’ve forgotten but I know one day my mojo will return and I’ll remember just why I loved it.

Same for me. Not ridden in anger for over 3 years.

Bike are still in the shed though!

bombjack
    Free Member

Its awesome. I spent 2 days on uplifts a fortnight ago and I’m having major withdrawal issues.
    Even looking at winter race series… 😯

Drac

Same for me. Not ridden in anger for over 3 years.

I’ve dwindled right done of the last 3 years, this year I planned to fix that and get back out. It’s been the worst year I’ve ever done, really haven’t ridden much more than a couple of spins out.

saxabar
    Free Member

Did a night ride around the Marin on Wednesday. Clear skies, stars, moon, mountain silhouettes and on final descent thought to myself that there is absolutely nothing I’d rather be doing. While I’m sure I’d also say that coming down another hillside, I was blissfully happy. Mountain-biking is awesome. 😀

righog
    Free Member

I’ve dwindled right done of the last 3 years, this year I planned to fix that and get back out. It’s been the worst year I’ve ever done, really haven’t ridden much more than a couple of spins out.

Drac join our band of irregular riders, having a laugh is high on the agenda. ( sure your local knowledge of stuff further north will come in handy)

Chopwell Tumblers

ton

Where do you work? Offroad for my commute is going across the field in Platt Fields park

work in armley but live in rothwell.
    commute is rothwell pastures, fields up through new forest village, dh down miggy woods, crossfaltts park, steps down to elland road, then paths and snickets to wortley.

perfect and nearly no traffic.

neilthewheel

Drac, that’s alarming. I’ve always looked up to you as one of the stalwarts of Northern riding. For me, the last few weeks have rekindled my passion. A new bike has helped, but just this week I’ve been out for two lovely rides on my old hard tail, skimming over the local BW’s and woodland paths, poking into some nooks and crannies I’ve never investigated before and feeling my technique come together. Rather good.

Drac

Drac, that’s alarming. I’ve always looked up to you as one of the stalwarts of Northern riding.

At one time I’d be out every day off and after work so you’d have been right then, kids slowed things down a little but really just a combination of things. Once I got out of a routine it rapidly slowed down. I’ve considered a new bike to inspire me but afraid it wouldn’t get used so not splashed out. I’ll get back into one day I know I will.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Did my first proper night ride a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t get to sleep until about 2am once I got back as it was so much more fun than normal as things you’d never normally notice on the trail come out of nowhere and you find new lines you would have ridden in the day. Also decided to enter my 1st enduro event after that which isn’t until November but can’t wait for it as it’s going to be wet and mingin but it’ll be great fun.

jamj1974

it is bloody awesome.
    after spending the last 4 years plodding slowly on the road/canal, I rode to work offroad today.
    9 miles including a dh run in the local woods, I am buzzing my head off………….I love mtbing………
    that’s all.

It is amazing! So glad to hear you are backing doing something you love. I’m two weeks in to a minimum 6 week layoff and I can’t get wait to get back on again…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Blimey.

After being clattered by a car last week I’ve had 7 days off. A record for this year. I tried agian last night but I couldn’t change gear with my injuries. 🙁

Nothing makes you miss anything like not being able to do it.

dogmatix

scaled I know what your saying, same past. But It doesnt even come close to that moment you get your flow on. Riding a mountain bike is like nothing else I have done. I used to race motocross bikes as a kid at club level. Don’t get me wrong I loved it. But would never go back. The beauty of a wooded rooted trail is sublime. Warm golden sun shining through the trees on a late afternoon. The birds have quietened down. Maybe the odd squirrel leaping a gap to break the silence. Then there is that fern lined trail inviting, twisting out of site in to a fresh pine forest, asking you to see where it leads. Christ I LOVE RIDING! I’ve seriously started considering having a little salute to the trail before each ride a bit like they do in judo. (hahah i sound crazy). FLOW FLOW and more FLOW, bring it on.

ton

I honestly thought I was gonna be stuck, and that my offroading days were over. to be able to get off road again doing what I am passionate about, is proper fantastic.

so anyone fancy a ride anytime, in your or my area, just let me know.
    8)

prawny

I was thinking this today too, it’s too dark and muddty to get a proper ride in before work now, so I’ve started running/walking and I saw a roadie out early. I had to choose one or the other this year due to cash, and wavered for a second, then remembered how ace mountain biking is. Even though I’m still not back out properly after a crash 4 weeks ago.

Taking the eldest out on sunday for his first ride on his first mtb. Green routes here we come!

dogmatix

ton im bookmarking this thread… just looking at the title makes me smile…

dogmatix

Drac the kids thing knocked me for six for a couple of years… It will come back. A rest is no bad thing. But you know it will just take one little spark to catch that fire again! One little moment out on the trail.

DezB
    Free Member

I grabbed an hour on my Yeti up QECP last night. It was getting dark and I couldn’t see some of the trail properly. That focused my mind completely on the riding and I forgot all the rest of the shit that’s going on.
    Marvellous therapy.

Shit again now though 🙁 Sorry. negatives not needed here! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are you busy today or tomorrow Ton?

Drac

Drac the kids thing knocked me for six for a couple of years… It will come back. A rest is no bad thing. But you know it will just take one little spark to catch that fire again! One little moment out on the trail.

It didn’t at first though they’re both at school now so little excuse there really. Yeah I know it will Dales trips have always given me the bug again or meeting up with riding buddies but getting our regular just has happened. I’ll be back into one day though.

ton

Are you busy today or tomorrow Ton?

Jim, I am working.
    got Wednesday off tho if you fancy a ride.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bugga, I’ll be in Spain. 😆 😥

Are you still working Saturdays every week?

ton

every other Saturday, but covering tomorrow for holidays.

fangin
    Free Member

Coming in late here, but I had an accident on my bike last year – still don’t know what happened – and had an enforced break for ~12 months as I bumped my head and my balance was gone.

The first few rides back though…

Wow.

davosaurusrex

A 14 hour day yesterday meant I missed out on the night ride I’ve been looking forward to all week. So I’m skiving off work and going riding this afternoon instead, bye!

martinhutch

Squeezing in as many rides as I can before the weather changes. Quick blast around the Bingley Bash this morning, just loads of fun.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I flippin’ love riding push bikes in hills. I’m not so fussed for night riding, but riding bikes in beautiful places even if the trails are a bit dull is the best thing I do with my life. Yay, bikes!

woody2000

Yep, brought my MTB to work myself today instead of the skinny machine. Nice offroad commute in, going for a play in Tong/Fulneck woods after work if anyone fancies joining me 🙂

Got to make the most of the dry trails!

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve been off the bike for about 3 years (forced absence) and now absolutely itching to get back out there and ride. Before I was forced to stop riding I was getting a bit jaded, but now I really can’t wait to hit the trails again. Maybe a break was a good thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve managed <500miles this year 🙁

The bulk of that was in a couple of weeks when I got the road bike out! Started commuting by bike again as the council’s just made a proper cyclepath on my route so I feel obliged to use it! That should at least get the legs ticking over and some fitness back. Not much of an offroad commute at this time of year (there’s a gravel track option in summer when it’s not too muddy) but when I’m fitter it’s possible to do a ~40mile loop including Swinley (or even longer to TH etc).

And I’ve been accumulating bivi gear this year, so some weekend touring is on the cards.

I’m hopeing that the doc’s will let me back out on the mountainbike soon, I actualy really like the horrible/muddy/cold/wet/dark mid week night rides more than their summer evening equivelents! Once I’ve got the go-ahead I reckon a Parkwood should restore some MOJO 😈

Northwind

Probably the single most positive thing I’ve had in my life, recently, love it. Kept me semi-sane through bad spots, helped me get my health back, meant I’ve met some great people and got back in touch with friends I should never have lost touch with… Filled a hole, you might say.

Mind you I could do without the broken bones and the hole in my wallet.

dogmatix

Northwind have to say a hear, hear…. mountain biking has very seriously got me through some quite stressfull times in the past. Only yesterday I had a crappy conversation at work that got me a bit pee’d off. A good wet blast this morning on alderbrook copse and winterfold has cleared my head and my soul. It should be prescribed on the NHS.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not as good as-
    Windsurfing (nice waves,somewhere warm)
    Snowboarding (nice powder,somewhere steep)
    BMX Trails (big good trails,somewhere quiet)
    But they are all very expensive/time consuming/condition dependant so Mtb’ing will have to do instead (and annoyingly I’m better at it than the others).

aa
    Free Member

Firstly, Ton, really pleased you’re back in the saddle and riding.

Mountain biking I the autumn is awesome, the woody damp smell, the sound the bike makes as you ride through woods compared to summer.
    The bike is a really good place to appreciate the changing seasons.

bspoked
    Free Member

How are miggy woods these days? Not been in there since I moved out of the city centre…

bobbyspangles

It is awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Just how good is mountainbiking?’ is closed to new replies.