• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LAT.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Just HOW good are Santa Cruz Tallboys?
  • Kryton57

I’ve come to the conclusion that as an all round singletrack bike, part time trail centre bike and some time 24hr event bike that an Alu Tallboy XC XT 120/100mm build is the right 29er replacement for my ASR5.

Financially I probably won’t be able to upgrade (lighten) it in the next 12 months, so I just want to check weight and hopefully affirmation of my opinion that the stock bike fits my brief. I’m comfortable with vpp as owned Intense’s.

Opinions from current owners please?

Thanks in advance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ex has one, loves it X01 Spec weight came up about the same as the listed I think.

austen

I don’t know if you’ve had chance to ride an LT? I test rode both and, for me, the small disadvantage climbing was massively outweighed by the big grins going back down. The XC just doesn’t give me the same level of confidence going down over rough ground.

I’ve used mine in the Alps, done UK marathon, trail centres and bombing around the woods, it’s bloody brilliant at pretty much everything.

NZCol

I’ve had an LT and a number of TBs. If they fit they are lovely, I prefer the new TB2 to the original (i have both one alu one carbon – long story) and for just riding around they are great bikes. I think the young people call that ‘Enduro’ these days …

Nobby

OP – have you actually ridden one? Of the SC bikes I’ve ridden over the last few years I’ve disliked all of them compared to your current bike. Can’t even put my finger on why, just don’t feel right to me.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I need a Tallboy LT in my life.
    I’m prepared to put up with losing a little climbing ability for the amazing downhill capability of the thing.
    Best bike I’ve ever ridden, now frantically thinning out my bike collection in a vain attempt to raise sufficient funds,

timraven

Try one, always try whatever you buy, I tried one and really thought it was as dull as ditchwater, but that is just my opinion.

sprocker
    Free Member

I test rode a carbon lt and it changed me to a 29. I could not afford the carbon though and went for a Banshee prime in the end which I really like. that or a phantom are worth considering to and a bit cheaper.

scrufftv
    Free Member

Bought my Tallboy 2 carbon frame about two months ago and being well past the new bike high I can say it just gets better and better. Demoed the LT but preferred the punch of the standard one. It really works well as an all rounder especially set up with 140mm forks and an angleset. I have been through an embarrassing amount of frames over the years and can definitely say this one has that something special. It was out of my budget really, and have never put a bike purchase on credit before, but this was worth it.

GHill

hopefully affirmation of my opinion that the stock bike fits my brief

The stock SC builds tend to be awful value. Spend a little bit of time shopping around for parts and you’ll have something lighter and cheaper.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Buying a Santa Cruz so guess the OP isn’t that concerned about value for money 😉

Frame only for the carbon tallboy, 2000 USD MSRP becomes 2800 GBP using the magic Jungle import price convertor!

AlexSimon

dull as ditchwater

I looked at that and thought – “isn’t it dishwater?”

Looked it up and apparently ditchwater came first – dishwater being a recent alteration. Both common.
    So there you go 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Buying a Santa Cruz so guess the OP isn’t that concerned about value for money

Yep mine was great VFM, you forgot the zero sales tax vs 20% to HMRC + the import duty etc. and the differences between a manufactures distribution model and a distributor taking a seat behind the manufacturer. Also worth noting they pay the kid who assembles the bikes about 3$/hr in the states with 20 mins holiday per year.

But anyway test ride if you like get it or pick one of the other bikes out there.

LAT

Frame only for the carbon tallboy, 2000 USD MSRP

Where have you seen a carbon TB2 for $2k? I’d definitely get one at that price!

stufield
    Free Member

what you need is a kona process 111 – fantastic bike,

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where have you seen a carbon TB2 for $2k? I’d definitely get one at that price!

Ah, sorry, that was the alu one! Good god, 2k for an alu fs frame 😕

Carbon is $2800, so £2800 doesn’t seem too crazy.

mikeep
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley is the bike for you 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve test rode both the LT and it’s little brother. I got them out of Stif and took them around Nidder’s and both coped/performed perfectly. TBH you know I’m no DH’er and only interested in gettting up stuff fast and hacking, the XC was better because it felt more “racy” (cough)
    Both were Ali, both had similar kit on them so a pretty good comparison.
    If it were me lyke, I’d get the XC, frame only, buy nice bits and put them on it. The stock builds are pretty rough, ok for getting you on the trails but you’ll be laughed at and told to stand in a corner if you turn up with the boggo white one.

Sayin’ that, Stif do sell off thier ex Demo’s. I was offered a proper spec blue one for £2k all in, roughly 15 days demo on it and all stuff replaced.. Didn’t buy it though, no need for bounce for what I do currently. However the future becons and I may just get one next year..

rone

I’ve owned a tallboy C and ridden have ridden tallboy 1/2 Alu.

(I now own a Czar but that’s beside the point.)

The tallboy is great and versatile machine; the TB2 is nicely tweaked in Alu, a bit lighter; a bit stiffer. For me personally the steering is a bit quick but if you put a 120 on then that will sort it out.

I prefer the Czar as the DW-link with bushes is a much better system than VPP. (I think it pedals better) – But it will come down to preference. I’m 3500 miles in with my Czar, and it’s been proper bomb-proof.

You won’t be disappointed; I did everything on my Tallboy, as did my mate.

Consider a newer spearfish too. I enjoyed owning an older one, and again did everything on it.

Kryton57

Thanks chaps.

@nobby I had a 10 min ride on the tb2 I described with a 120mm reba up front. It felt as though it had the extra momentum if a 29er but with the feel of my old intense 5.5, and none of the wallow of the Tracer that superseded that. I’ve had a couple of rides of the yeti at non race setup – 30% sag rather than 10% – recently and it feels wonderful again. The tb2 felt very similar if a bit less cosseting.

There’s a potential unexpected work bonus upon which the decision lies anyway.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

love my tallboy, stop the 6 monthly cycle of swapping bikes, had it getting on 2 years now, pretty sure id replace like for like if i had to, have 100mm forks on mine after 18 months of 140mm, made it even better

mrblobby
    Free Member

How about something like this Canyon in their end of season sale? Maybe not as boutique but likely every bit as good and 3k for a full build.

Kryton57

Mrblobby, that canyon is what started my search. I was dead set on one if those but the stw review and post from a few suggested a harsh ride. I like my comfort for when I’m not racing, and with “another” bike rather than a replacement for the yeti being out of the question I abandoned the idea of the Lux on that basis. Of course I don’t have the ability to test.

Fwiw I have a Sid on my HT and from a comfort perspective don’t rate it as highly as the f120 Fit on the Yeti, although now I’ve raced with it, it makes sense in that scenario.

Any lux owners on here that want to help with the appraisal for it I’d be most grateful to hear a view. Mi am also waiting for a real work appraisal of the whyte m109 cs before I take the plunge – again more race than tail perhaps….

AND I need to sell the Yeti in what I anticipate is a difficult market for it.

roverpig

What about Pivot Mach 429 Carbon? Never ridden one, but it seems to tick the same boxes as the other bikes suggested here.

cheers_drive

As you’re considering a Alu TB why not a Alu Canyon?
    I’ve just replaced a Zesty with a Nerve 29er and I’m very impressed so far – as all owners say about their current bike 😉
    You should be able to get an amazing spec for your budget.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Tallboy 2 LT is next on my want list! Waiting for them to appear on the Santa Cruz firesale so I can import from USA (wishful thinking) or just any kind of USA frame offer would do me 😆

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Best I could find right now on USA tallboy

TB2 carbon

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/santa-cruz-bicycles-tallboy-2-carbon-with-fox-ctd-kashima?ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOkJpa2VzOjE6MToxMDAwMDA3OTZfY2NDYXQxMDAxNTc&skidn=SNZ0366-GLOWHI-S

So around £1500, I shipped the Blur from California for £137 so would be a similar cost, but it would have to be more like £1200 on the frame to tempt me. 😆

Kryton57

@cheers_drive – I’d consider the nerve to be so close to the asr5 that’s is a differential in price of sold/bought just to add 29″ wheels to the rig. No way I’m paying about £1k to grow a pair of wheels.

No, the bike needs to be a significant upgrade / difference.

LAT

Get a good ride on a tallboy. Each time I ride mine I’m surprised and excited by how good it is. It is my first 29er and I was sceptical about the whole 29er thing (especially as I’m only 5’8″) but the bike is simply fantastic.

I’ve used it in whistler on some of the world enduro descents (but not in the bike park…), the Alberta Rockies and the long trails in southern Tahoe – all very different but all pretty demanding. The last time I was home I rode it around leath hill, etc and it was fun there too. I currently live in the very flat Huston. Surprisingly there are mtb trails, even in the city, the TB is fun to ride there, too.

I will say that a fox 32 at 120mm it too flexible, I switched to 34s. The addition of light bicycle 35mm rims was a great improvement over the 19mm inner width rims they replaced. Don’t know if it was width, weight or stiffness that made the biggest improvement.

In summary, try one. If you buy one get a sturdy fork and stiff wheels.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Just HOW good are Santa Cruz Tallboys?’ is closed to new replies.