Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Just how fast is Aaron Gwinn???
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I___________ this fast____________I

Gwinn, like other pro DHers runs his suspension really firm, but I’m sure I heard it bottom out there.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Yep I remember watching that section is his race run and was pretty amazed at how much faster he looked than the previous (also fast) riders. Sometimes looking fast does not equal being fast, but turns out he obviously was actually fast as f*ck as well.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m really liking Gwinny now, that he’s not riding for Uber-Evilcorp… and that run was simply smokin’ 😯

I run my suspension really firm, for similar reasons.. 8)

I’m not fast though. Or a downhiller.. 😐

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m a fan of Gwinn. Not only his amazing riding, but he also seems a nice chap. He even seems to have toned down the god references.

chiefgrooveguru

And his race run was even quicker – he looks like he explodes through that bit at the top of the clip. He has an incredible ability to ride right on the ragged edge and catch the bike whenever it slides too much without losing much time in the process – look at him on the open flat turns at the bottom of the track – his reactions are just so fast.

ahwiles
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer – Member
    I’m really liking Gwinny now, that he’s not riding for Uber-Evilcorp..

eh? he rides for Specialized. ‘Evil’ is their mission statement.

but yes, Fast. I simply cannot comprehend how it’s possible to ride like that. I’ve got 2 speeds; mincing or crashed.

(the full run is on Vitalmtb, it’s awesome)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s like he’s on another planet!

(Joke borrowed from someone else the other day! )

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Is that with or without a chain;)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s a shame he wasn’t around during Sam Hill’s “time”, could have been some epic races.

chiefgrooveguru

At least when I watch the women pro DHers I can vaguely understand how to ride that fast – with a ton of practice at my very best and if lucky I might be able to keep some of the slower ones in sight for a turn or two. But the men, and especially the quickest ones, it’s like the footage has been sped up!

I like how Gwin seems like a pure racer, no showboating, just fastest possible top to bottom. He knows how to scrub, to pedal, to pump, to tuck and he always seems to choose the quickest option. I think Bryceland has a similar vibe but with a deceptively carefree front, but more loose and less aggressive on the bike. They’re both very good at letting the bike carry speed through ridiculously gnarly sections. One doesn’t care about negative consequences because God is looking after him and the other is just too damned cool to think about that stuff (see Hafjell 2014…)

Northwind

When he started to come through I thought I had him sussed- powerful, controlled, very calculated. Remember at Champery, the Year of the Hart- people forget how close Gwin was til he got caught in the netting, 1 second down at first split… But he did it pretty different to Hart, none of the mad genius, he just rode the same track everyone else did in the same way, but better. So I thought that was his thing.

But then, you see him when he really lets rip- that demented tyreless run, or those sections near the start of his run at the weekend where he’s a wrecking ball through what look like horrendous lines… Plenty of mad pinners out there but the combination of that along with everything else is just… unfair 😆

Total mancrush btw.

dirtydog
    Free Member

No one looked as fast as Josh through the whoops though, that was a sight to behold!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a shame he wasn’t around during Sam Hill’s “time”, could have been some epic races.

Interesting idea.

I wonder was Sam Hill really that much better six or seven years ago then than he was last year? Or have the rest of the field caught up?

Fingers crossed Hill can get fit for Val di Sole and Vallnord and be a real threat again this year.

loddrik
    Free Member

honourablegeorge

dirtydog – Member
    No one looked as fast as Josh through the whoops though, that was a sight to behold!

The wee film that the Sybdicate release each round interviewed him after, apparently he messed up on a flat fireroad corner and came to a complete stop. Suspect he’s have been a hell of a lot closer to Gwin but for that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Just how fast is Aaron Gwinn???’ is closed to new replies.