Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Just had to open up a flat as tenant was dead inside.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Not a very nice experience.We are landlords and developers on the wirral and had a phone call this morning off the sister of one of our tenants.They had not been able to get in touch with him for three days so rang me to go and open up his flat.
    Thinking ahead i told her to call the police and i shot strait down there to meet them and by this time the sister and his mother where already there.Both front and back door keys where in the locks and his bike was in the hallway(ground floor flat).I new then this was bad.The police then tried the front door and it wasn’t locked.They quickly shut the door and for what seemed like an eternity they came out with the bad news.Both mother and sister broke down in front of me really hard.
    He was a cool guy as well about 50 years old and an amazing artist.His front room was a full on studio with his art works everywhere.He rode a mint retro trek hardtail.He’d been with us for about 7 years and really got to know him well.
    What a sad day this is.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙁

His front room was a full on studio with his art works everywhere.He rode a mint retro trek hardtail.

50 is way too young but clearly he did the things he loved in life.

bol

Gutting.

gogg
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss.

robhughes
    Free Member

He was definitely a character.Played the guitar,mouth organ and Irish low whistle.Always happy even though he didn’t have much.
    Really will miss going to see him.His art work was unbelievable.His sister also has a property of ours so i think i will ask here for one of his pieces(not for a while) and i’ll bung a good amount to the charity of her choice.
    Just to remember him like.

gordimhor

A sad loss, it was good that you were able to get there so quickly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What happened to the poor bloke?

takisawa2

What a shame. RIP chap.

Houns

You ride the trek back home or going around later to pick it up?

racefaceec90

rip 🙁

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Happens quite often, I’ve had it 4 times in the last 10 years. It really doesn’t bother me at all, so I always deal with them for my mum. 1st time was a bit weird, old lady in her 70’s, she lived in the house her whole life, wasevenborn there. Second was an old friend of my dad’s, he was an alcoholic and we’d joked for years abouthim dying in there and us having to break in. 3rd was a drugs overdose, fairly unpleasant scene to be fair. Last one was a guy that had worked for us on and off for over 20 years, was a good family friend too. He was really unhealthy and grossly overweight, big drinker. But he’d really sorted himself out the last few years, lost about 6 stone, really cut the drinking. Sally had a pulmonary embolism in his sleep, wouldn’t have felt a thing.

I suppose I’m a bit odd really, a few weeks ago I changed a front door with the tenants dead husband lying in a coffin in the front room. I offered to do it another time but she wanted it doing

project
    Free Member

Poor chap, at least he may have died quickly and in little pain or he would have been able to call for help.

My next door neighbour was found the same way by his mum, irs a shock for all.

hora
    Free Member

Was he unwell recently OP? 50 is too young though.

MoreCashThanDash

Grim day for you.

Got to say that you seem to be a great example of a caring landlord, a much maligned on here occupation. You can be proud of how you tried to help at a bad time for his family

robhughes
    Free Member

hora.I’m sure that he had told me that he had a heart problem many years ago so maybe that was the cause.
    MoreCashThanDash.Where a family business and have really good relationships with 99% of our tenants.
    Yesterday we sent a huuuge bunch of flowers to a girl how has been with us for a long time as has become quite ill.She’s only 27
    A lot of people just won’t leave us and if there family grows the move to our larger properties when the become available.
    It’s not all about the money…..

andyl
    Free Member

Rob, OT but I don’t suppose you manage lets for other landlords do you?

Mum has a house on the wirral and has had a bad experience with a tenant and agency. They didn’t check up on the tenant who trashed the house including taking up the carpets and skirting boards to fit cheap laminate without permission (unfinished) and then cutting some of the downstairs radiator pipes when they were given notice out of spite. She ended up having to have all the concrete subfloors replaced!

Gary_C

It’s not all about the money…..

Good on you.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers gary.We do try our best to give people homes not houses.
    Most of our tenants are from recommendations.Just how we like it.
    Andy.We don’t manage for anyone else as it’s just no worth the hassle or the money.10-15% is neither here nor there.We are firstly a development company but we just don’t sell when we finish them. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Sleep good tonight OP. I rented with the same people for 5yrs. They gave my full deposit back within 2 days of leaving. Great people who also rent out exist for their fellow man.

onehundredthidiot

At least people cared. OH had to be present for a forced entry drugs death. Best they could make out he’d been dead for a year, family blamed police/social services/everyone else for failing to notice his abscence.

It was easier to take him away on the carpet he had become part of.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Just had to open up a flat as tenant was dead inside.’ is closed to new replies.