• This topic has 133 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Just had the "why don't you do that for free?" line
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

£40 of brake work and he expected his threaded headset adjusted for free.

I think the best analogy is asking for a free coffee after a £40 meal out, any others?

wolly
    Free Member

Free coffee after a meal would be awesome though, wouldn’t it?

chakaping
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect or ask, but my LBS probably would do it for free.

How much do you charge for adjusting an aheadset out of interest?

Drac

Yup good analogy. So why didn’t you do it?

jekkyl

You don’t get anything if you don’t ask!
    If your costs are justified and you did a good job he’ll come back.

I’d suggest making a joke of it… ‘well you can have a coffee for free if you like or this 2 inch brake bolt’ perhaps? don’t be so grumpy! 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Point of order; it’s not an aheadset, it’s a threaded headset.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Yup good analogy. So why didn’t you do it?

as ever I only thought of it after he’d gone, and he’d been quoted it for free so I didn’t charge.

ekkyl – Member

You don’t get anything if you don’t ask!

He didn’t ask though, he expected (even before he’d been under quoted)

don’t be so grumpy!

What makes you think I’m grumpy? Nice assumption.

jekkyl

you are grumpy though, aren’t you? 😉

Drac

I’m lost me.

So you did something for free then complain about it.

Euro
    Free Member

If you charge by the hour, how much would it actually cost for 30 seconds work?

A reluctant hero

IdleJon

Euro – Member

It would take me about an hour to find my headset spanners….

emac65
    Free Member

Makes good business sense to slag someone off on a public forum who has just given you £40 for working on their bike. 😯

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Regularly – our web business get that from plenty of small businesses – I can build a website for free using WordPress or 1&1, why do you charge to build one.

We don’t get that in the pr business, perhaps the risks of it going a bit breasts uppermost are higher and the consequences greater.

It all comes down to the lack of recognition of the value of your knowledge and expertise / skills.

chakaping
    Free Member

Point of order; it’s not an aheadset, it’s a threaded headset.

I retract my comment.

Threaded headsets are a ballache.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I’m lost me.

Drac having a go, quelle surprise. Are you depressed currently?

emac65 – Member

Makes good business sense to slag someone off on a public forum who has just given you £40 for working on their bike.

Given there’s no way the customer can be identified from this thread, how am I slagging him/her off?

Some of you haterz are getting desperate 🙄

irelanst
    Free Member

£40 of brake work and he expected his threaded headset adjusted for free.

and he’d been quoted it for free so I didn’t charge

He was asking for something he’d been quoted – hang him, hang him high.

ricky1
    Free Member

Isn’t it somewhat of a safety issue,not having a go or anything but was it dangerously in need of adjusting,thus knowing your customer is leaving you on a safe bike instead of a death trap,what are the safety issues of working on bikes for the public,would be interesting to know,I think you should be paid for your work regardless,especially iff the customer wants the job doing,I’m sure if you went behind his back and adjusted the headset then tried to charge for it he would be on here flaming you instead.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t say I blame you. It will not be a 2 minute job, if he can’t do it then chances are it won’t have been done for a while which then leads to more fiddling and the chance that he won’t want to pay for a new one. Any one in the trade, or any trade , will know when to stop the freebies as their experience of such will far outweigh the whinges of those without a clue.

scaredypants

I’m not quite clear here – somebody quoted it as a free fix and now you’re saying that he then expected it to be done for that “price” ?

Seems fair enough

parkesie
    Free Member

I got a large cobra free with last nights takeaway. Guess where im going for my next take away.

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’s a lot of commas.And not many full stops Rick!

ricky1
    Free Member

Once again it turns into a grammar thread by the haters.

taxi25
    Free Member

30 seconds if your lucky, 9 times out of 10 if it’ll be knackered and impossible to adjust properly. so 30 seconds becomes 20mins of stripping, greasing and faffing all for free. 🙁

scaredypants

Jeez, rorschach – starting a sentence with “And” ?? 😯

boblo
    Free Member

Anything that starts with ‘can you just….’ is to be avoided like the plague.

ricky1
    Free Member

Yes boblo. (See full stop Rorschach)
    The trades and most hated word…….JUST !
    It’s like walking into tesco and paying for your shopping then running back into the aisle and shouting “I’m JUST taking some Harribos”

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m claiming the ironic Edinburgh defence 😕
    See also ‘can I get?’

ricky1
    Free Member

It’s ok Rorschach I’m Welsh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have my sympathy ricky1

Sundayjumper

Parkesie has it. Assuming the meal was OK, a free coffee would cost them hardly anything and make me more likely to go back to that restaurant.

nealglover
    Free Member

Given there’s no way the customer can be identified from this thread, how am I slagging him/her off?

Apart from if the person who’s just picked up their bike after having paid £40 for getting their brakes fixed and having a discussion with a grumpy mechanic about why they are being charged for something they were quoted as a freebie, happens to read this thread.

Obviously they won’t recognise that scenario and never come back to your shop again 🙄

bruneep

Where is this takeaway?

scaredypants

Obviously they won’t recognise that scenario and never come back to your shop again

behave yourself – they’ll be queueing at the door once they know it was Al serving them

cynic-al
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    Obviously they won’t recognise that scenario and never come back to your shop again

He’s not coming back anyway – work should be free if you’ve already paid for some apparently.

Little chance he’ll be on here, little chance he’ll identify the shop, and the thread will be off the front page soon…

…unless haters like you really have nothing better to do.

ricky1
    Free Member

Why do people moan about the price of Getting their bikes fixed,is it because it’s not bling?

Drac

Having ago? I’m trying to find what as you’re really weren’t very clear.

No not had depression for a few months now.

MrOvershoot

Would have probably been worse if you had adjusted his headset, as if its been loose for a while no doubt the races would be pitted and he would have had “indexed steering”

Many years ago I had a colleague at a bike shop who got a bollocking from a customer after he adjusted both sets of hub cones to take the slack out, turns out he ran them very loose as there would be less friction. The fact that once riding the bike they rubbed the brake blocks seemed not to be a problem!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find him an irritating little cock!

Seemed a reasonable question as to what’s behind him always having a pop on my threads.

Cougar

the thread will be off the front page soon…

…unless haters like you really have nothing better to do.

Are you new here?

nealglover
    Free Member

unless haters like you really have nothing better to do.

Why do people claim to have “haters” ?

I just disagree with you.

If you said something different I might agree with you.

Does claiming you have “haters” make you feel important maybe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Just had the "why don't you do that for free?" line’ is closed to new replies.