Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Just had the mother of all Whities
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

So my MOT weldathon wasn’t without injury. A stray piece of metal bypassed my safety specs and lodged itself in my eye.

I put up with it for a couple of days hoping it would dislodge itself. Eventually it became apparent it would need to be removed. On Friday I went to A&E and the consultant picked it out with a cotton bud after anesthetising it.

He recommended I attend a clinic today to check on the rust ring that remained.

While under examination, the doctor said he’d have a go at treating/removing the tarnished area. I was happy enough with that until I noticed out of the corner of my eye he was unwrapping a needle.

After the first procedure he unwrapped a second needle and then things went into a blur. I heard him calling my name as I fell onto the floor as he rushed out to get a nurse. I came to in a puddle of sweat that needed mopping up.

Last time I was that bad was when a doctor showed me an xray of my unbroken collar bone.

Does anyone else suffer with this reaction to hospital environments?

sobriety
    Free Member

FWIW, I would’ve whitied just as hard as you at that point.

Needle in the eye, nothankyouverymuch.

BoardinBob

How does your husband react in similar situations?

flip
    Free Member

Remembe when i had my first molar extracted, no one told me they used pliers…

mtbfix

A puddle of sweat?

Stoner
    Free Member

oof not nice.

Stoner Jr Sr has had two eye operations when he was 2 yrs old to re-form a drainage channel in there. That entailed the doc going in with a long needle and slicing away. Jr was under general for that, but apparently if they need doing again in 10yrs or so, they generally do it under local. Nope Nope nopenopeniopebopenopenope! 😯

A few years back I picked up a metal fragment thrown up off the tarmac while riding in london. Irritating as hell for a while then I seemed to blink it out. But there was still some irritation like Id scratched the back of my eyelid. Fortunately I was staying round the corner from the Moorfield Eye hospital so dropped in first thing before work and was lucky enough to be seen early where the doc talked about the rust ring formed around where the steel splinter had lodged in the eye. One flick with something that looked like a makeup brush and it was all gone. Utter relief.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got Hydrochloric Acid in my eye?….

DezB
    Free Member

I can’t believe you put up with a piece of schrapnel in your eye for a couple of days! I remember a rusty fragment of my Hillman Imp going in my eye, it was agony.

chewkw
    Free Member

Try having a massive toothache with dentist probing around … the mother of all painnnnnnnn!!! 😡

I rather pass out then being inflicted by the pain …

smashit
    Free Member

I used to get like that in all sorts of ‘sterilised’ locations… doctors, dentists, optometrists (even just trying on glasses)… something to do with the disinfectant in the air!
    Seems to have got better after I started mtb guiding and had to deal with broken/bleeding people on a weekly basis!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I can’t believe you put up with a piece of schrapnel in your eye for a couple of days!

I genuinely thought it would go away. When the A&E guy took it out it was pin head sized. I was thinking he’d find a hedgehog under my eyelid.

I used to get like that in all sorts of ‘sterilised’ locations… doctors, dentists, optometrists (even just trying on glasses)… something to do with the disinfectant in the air!

That is exactly my problem. I used to put it down to the disinfectant too. A few year back I took my mother to A&E with a broken arm, the nurses thought I was the patient in need of urgent care having just walked into the reception.

CountZero

Lucky so far to have never needed anything like that, so not sure how I’d react, although I don’t have issues with hospital environments, they’ve never involved me up till now.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got Hydrochloric Acid in my eye?…

Would that be anything like getting Contact lens sterilising solution, containing Hydrogen peroxide, in your eye?
    That, I can confirm, is excruciating! Problem was, it came with the contact lens, which I couldn’t get out, because my eye was clenched shut like a fist.
    Took about twenty minutes to finally get it out.
    Never did it again…

takisawa2

Peering over a bridge at a passing express train sent a slither of wood through my left pupil. Had a four hour late night op to try to repair it. I was only 7.

Many years later I got acid from a paint stripping vat in both eyes. That hurt. A lot.

I’m amazed you didn’t operate on yourself McM. 😉

Bunnyhop

Oh my, it all sounds too much for me.

You’re very brave, as I too am not good at going into hospitals (which is twice a week atm), however if it’s anything to do with teeth or eyes I’m running off into the hills.

teenrat

When i was first diagnosed with kerotoconus and the consultant said the cure was a corneal graft – big whitey. Thankfully, the treatment has moved on alot since then!

oldnick

Giving a blood sample is a pantomime for me and the long suffering nurse/doctor/phlebotomist involved, and for some reason I often pass out having my blood pressure taken.

I’ve no recollection of a bad experience of either, I’ve just always been like it.

organic355
    Free Member

I was the same when I went to my gp with a suspected groin hernia. He said I needed to go for an ultrasound to check and may need an operation. The word operation sent me over the edge into a cold sweat and head pounding. Had to lie down for a little while while I composed myself

maxtorque

Mental note to self: Don’t plan on relying on Mcmoonter in high pressure emergency situations!

Houns

Chuckle @ BoardinBob 😆

ska-49
    Free Member

I had a steroid injection to help with the pain in my elbow following a fracture. I’m comfortable around needles and doctors. In goes the needle and she starts moving it around in my joint. She was poking around in there for a good 3 minutes. Felt like a life time. Suddenly I just felt like throwing up and I just sweated profusely. I was drenched. Not sure why? Shock? It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Fracturing it was nothing compared to this. Weird.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was just speaking to my brother who recalled the procedure to remove a cyst from under his eyelid. I’ll spare you the details but when it was over the doctor asked if he was ok. He said he was fine, stood up, and in his words, it was like someone stole all my bones, as he collapsed on the floor.

I forgot to mention in my OP that the A&E guy did a swift inspection of the rest of my eyeball by wrapping my eyelid around a cotton bud and rolling it quickly between his finger and thumb to toll it back and forth. It was over and done with before I could gag.

oldnick

ska-49, I had that in my shoulder years ago, bloody needle squeaked as it went in 😯 Then the Dr said don’t move or it will snap off and you’ll need an operation 😯 I spent the next 15 minutes with my head between my knees in the waiting room.

The next patient looked a bit nervous going in…

scaredypants

My wife’s an obstetrician – faints at the merest suggestion of her own blood being spilt, but she’ll happily stand there half way up to the elbows in a patient’s belly 😯

emsz
    Free Member

Dentist: had a filling a couple of years ago (my first) and as he put the needle in, I was literally squirming in the chair, I’ve never gripping onto the arms of chair soooo hard in all my life!!

Makes me light headed just thinking about it.

br
    Free Member

When I went back to have some stitches removed.

“You should’ve come back earlier they said, as the flesh has partially grown over them” – how did I know, they were the first stitches I’d ever had.

15 mins with a blade and (surgical) pliers…

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh for Gods sake, so he is talented, handsome, has a big pile of wood and lives in a dream house but this doesn’t excuse him from getting a big MTFU 😉

STW has changed 😆

Kahurangi

Aye, you can hand your man badge in at your Post Office.

yetidave
    Free Member

we had a tool box at work a little while ago. A sparky had cut a bit or armored wire with a pair of pliers. A bit of armoring split off and lodged in the blokes eye. He thought “oh there’s something in my eye”, and pushed the bit of wire right through to the back of his eye.

I always wear eye protection at work now..

ricky1
    Free Member

I once had an abscess in my tonsil which the doctor had to drain with a long needle,the pain was intense and the sight of the syringe filling up with green gunge made me pass out,call me a pussy but it’s the first time it’s ever happened and hopefully the last

Basil

My 86 year old gran had her cataracts done with a local.

Northwind

I can see no benefit to remaining compos mentis in that situation, fainting seems like an excellent plan.

underthethumb
    Free Member

I hear you Ricky1 – peritonsilar abcess, even the doc having a look see with the big lolly stick was enough to get me worried about what was coming next.
    Lucky for me he beat me to it and had me under a general to cut my abcess out, though he did miss a bit and had me back in surgey again the next day 🙁

jimmy

Fainted every time I’ve broken my collar bone and even for a twisted ankle. Wasn’t bothered at all but my inner self was having none of it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I’ve had the needle treatment a few times (i’m a slow learner), but it all pails in comparison to having a dental implant. No pain but you lie there ‘feeling’ them cut the gum and then scrape it off your jaw, drill a hole then with a diddy little clicky wrench screw in self tapper implant – checking each quarter turn to make sure it hasn’t split the bone.

crikey
    Free Member

Ladies the lot of you.

Slogo
    Free Member

After the first procedure he unwrapped a second needle and then things went into a blur. I heard him calling my name as I fell onto the floor as he rushed out to get a nurse. I came to in a puddle of sweat piss that needed mopping up.

fixed it for you!

stevious

The nurses at the blood donation clinic asked me not to bother coming back because it’s too much hard work cleaning me up off the floor after I pass out.

fasthaggis

Aye, you can hand your man badge in at your Post Office.

🙂 Very good Jon,he could have done it when he got that new tax disc 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I had similar years ago – rusty metal in eye after working under my Mini. Several days later it was still there and a rust ring had formed. Went to the hospital where it was basically poked out with a needle. The doctor kept shouting. ‘Don’t move! Don’t move’ as he attacked my eye with what looked like a fooking knitting needle that close up.

I’m surprised the human race survives with the lack of stones you lot own.

Try having a needle (a f’in big needle, I might add), inserted in your right bollock – and I mean inserted, all the way – and then try to draw fluid off. I was 17 and back at work half an hour later.

(I will add, that I wasn’t stood very upright at said work though) 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Maybe I’m a nutter but I’ve dug broken up contact lenses that have been there for days from the back of my eye myself.

Spinal taps aren’t nice though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Just had the mother of all Whities’ is closed to new replies.