Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Just had "the chat" with my missus about my old bike
  • Harry_the_Spider

After yet another trip to the LBS that was like taking a 14 year old spaniel to the vets I had “The Chat” with the missus.

I mentioned that they had offered me a 2014 model at a silly price and she said something along the lines of…”You ride bikes, that’s what you do. Why don’t you buy it out of our savings?”.

So… A new bike that is costing my wallet £0.00.

If I wasn’t already married to her I’d ask her to marry me.

However, a small part of me suspects that I have walked into some sort of trap.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

She ias clearly having an affair or she is a bloke and you haven’t noticed. 😀

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Picture me with a squid head..

wwaswas

some sort of trap

Possibly but you’ll still have a new bike 🙂

beamends
    Free Member

its a trap!

chip
    Free Member

She has a large purchase in the offing, and now you won’t be able to say no because,
    “You just bought yourself a new bike”

MoreCashThanDash

Does she have a sister? 8)

Harry_the_Spider

I don’t care.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgUAX5rmXNY[/video]

Rubber_Buccaneer

What’s the bike?

thegreatape
    Free Member

What I like best is your man maths. Pay for it from savings = £0 = free bike!

Harry_the_Spider

Trek Fuel EX8 29er.

Harry_the_Spider

What I like best is your man maths. Pay for it from savings = £0 = free bike!

I’ve already saved it you see, so it is effectively already spent.

Kahurangi

You have a nice wife. Keep her 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Quite. When I bought my new bike last summer I had already spent the money in my head, so it was unavailable for anything else, and since it couldn’t be spent on anything else, spending it on a bike didn’t result in any sort of loss to the family finances.

binners

You can’t retire that bike! It manages to make mine look good accetable

cookeaa

…Why don’t you buy it out of our savings?”.

I’d have just assumed this line was loaded with sarcasm And carried on riding my knackered old Bicycle, without losing a testicle.

Harry_the_Spider

You can’t retire that bike! It manages to make mine look good accetable

It will be a donor for my SS and her HT. She’ll get the transmission, brakes and wheels. The SS will get the forks and saddle.

weare138
    Free Member

It’s a twap

crosshair
    Free Member

I bet a tiny part of you went flat inside and thought “oh, that was easy, I don’t really want it now 🙁 ” when she said that 😀

Bregante

Yep. Prepare yourself for the worst.
    Her Acid Zumba classes are moving to 8.15 every Monday.

dazh

I have this very same conversation with my Mrs every year. In the past she used to cite lack of space as the show-stopper. Then we bought a new house with a massive garage, now she uses the lack of money argument. Can’t win. Think I’ll try that accounting slight of hand on her next.

Trekster

Had the same conversation last year, bought an RM Altitude 😆
    Gave son old bike, 10yr old Kona Dawg.

m0rk
    Free Member

I showed my wife the thread to reinforce the purchase I expect to make later this month 🙂

To be fair…. She does let me buy what I need like

nemesis
    Free Member

New kitchen on the way for the OP… 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA[/video]

matther01
    Free Member

You realise you’ve publicly stated you’d marry her again. I see a very expensive renewal of your vows on the horizon…or that new kitchen she’s been eyeing up 😉

dazh

Is a new kitchen an exclusively wife thing? I’d quite like a new kitchen seeing as I’m the main cook. Trouble is the wife thinks bikes and kitchens aren’t as important as getting new windows and a greenhouse. Who cares about windows?!

scotroutes

I never have this conversation with my wife. If I buy a new bike she knows we can afford it.

tomaso
    Free Member

You have clearance, buy the bicycle and worry about any consequences safe in the knowledge you have shiny new bike to gawp at and ride. How bad can the trap be?

robdob
    Free Member

I am buying a touring bike and I’d saved up for it – had the chat with my wife – I knew she wouldn’t mind as she knew I really could use one. I thought I’d sell my road bike as I didn’t really need both but my wife surprised me by saying that I should not sell the road bike as what if I wanted to go on a fast road ride?

She’s ace!

But I don’t have much space to keep all these bikes…. :-/ 😀

stevestunts
    Free Member

Has anyone else spotted the problem in the OP’s post?

she said something along the lines of…

What she actually said was “You ride bikes”, at which point you switched off, thinking you’d got the go-ahead. What you didn’t hear was the five minute diatribe which followed, during which you were called a bastard several times and the welfare of your knackers was brought into question, should you purchase a new bike.

The

Why don’t you buy it out of our savings?

section was actually “If you pay for it out of our savings, I can guarantee you’ll wake up with a dogshit-covered, spring-loaded, movement-sensitive wooden spike positioned five millimetres above one of your eyeballs. Try it sunshine, just try it”.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

“You’ve got the new bike you wanted….”

“I’d like a baby.”

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mate of mine needed to spend £400 on overhauling his bike once. I was there’s as he explained this to his wife. She said, oh good, I’ve got £400 to spend on what I want.

Without stopping to think, I e sponded with u s, that’s right, if you’re 7 year old siblings.

Mate nearly wet himself.

taxi25
    Free Member

Reading these threads I thank god in the taxi family, I have my own money Mrs taxi has her own money and there’s the household budget. If I can afford it I just buy it.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Why don’t you buy it out of our savings?”.

Buy it and you’ll find out why, sounds like trap.

martinhutch

You ride bikes, that’s what you do. Why don’t you buy it out of our savings?

If that’s verbatim, you should be OK. Or were the words ‘just’ and ‘then’ missing from the middle and end of the question?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Mate of mine needed to spend £400 on overhauling his bike once. I was there’s as he explained this to his wife. She said, oh good, I’ve got £400 to spend on what I want.
    Without stopping to think, I e sponded with u s, that’s right, if you’re 7 year old siblings.
    Mate nearly wet himself.

Guess you had to be there?

tomd
    Free Member

Sounds very much like a trap.

I got the nod to buy a new bike that was a “must buy bargain” in the On One sale at the end of last year. Almost encouraged to buy it.

It was leverage for her getting a very nice new mac book thingy. So budget for 2x the value of the bike.

boxelder

Are you sure she doesn’t think you were euphemistically describing some enhancement in the trouser department?

pnik

It is possible harry and wife’s marriage is not a war of attrition but a partnership based on respect and dare I say love?
    I guess not, igmc

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Just had "the chat" with my missus about my old bike’ is closed to new replies.