Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Just had one of these fly over work:
  • stevied
    Free Member

rossburton
    Free Member

I’d watch out for special forces swarming your office.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Incinerator…..a Decepticon.

milleboy
    Free Member

I’d watch out for special forces swarming your office.

I read that as orifice………must get out more.

They fly around us a bit, they are pretty impressive, very distinctive noise.

cheers_drive

I live near Mildenhall and Lakenheath so get Ospreys going over regularly, very distinctive sound, as has an Apache or Chinook.

teasel
    Free Member

I was walking in Burnham Beeches with my partner when one of those flew over.

I thought it was that thing from The Terminator…

matt_outandabout

Don’t worry the noise won’t be there for long. It will break down soon enough apparently…

bigyinn
    Free Member

There were some military exercises near us Oct 2015, we’d only been living there 3 months, they had those things flying low after dark for a couple of days. First time it went over, proper shit me up, especially as you couldn’t see much.

CountZero

Don’t worry the noise won’t be there for long. It will break down soon enough apparently…

They certainly had their problems to start with, but the Marines stuck with it and ironed out the problems and they’re a lot more reliable now.
    I understand that our special forces are now using, or will be using the Osprey due to its greater operational ceiling, top speed and load carrying capability compared to helicopters, and with mission demands across Europe and further afield the Osprey is pretty much unique in being able to operate as an aircraft but still be able to insert teams directly into an operational zone.
    Remarkable aircraft, there were several taking part in some excercises locally, last year, across different services and nationalities on Salisbury Plain, this is where the SAS were getting operational experience with them.
    Shame RAF Lyneham is no longer an operational base, otherwise they’d probably be around more often.

dovebiker

Osprey reliability was appalling – less than 50% at times and they were nearly canned

Murray

Not unique in having a rocky start – Phantom programme was nearly canned as spin recovery was problematic*

*problematic as in often fatal

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ospreys flyover our house pretty often. No idea where to & they come back within an hour or so. They head west-ish towards Menwith Hill (but more North)
    There’s usually only one at a time.

nickc

I understand that our special forces are now using, or will be using the Osprey due to its greater operational ceiling, top speed and load carrying capability compared to helicopters

it has an un-pressurised cabin, so it can’t fly higher then a helicopter. Speed, yep faster than a chinook, but it’s range is shocking (about 250 miles), carrying capacity: not much greater than a chinook. It’s expensive and under developed. for somethings it’s OK, for most things that say; the Marines or special forces need it to do, it’s average to poor (at best).

TBF to it, it’s not got the institutional history and capability knowledge that helicopters have, lets hope that at nearly $75 million a piece (as opposed to about $30 million for a chinook) the RAF can learn to use it properly

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I worked on the aerial refuelling equipment on the Osprey – have been on-board, they are pretty cosy in the back! It’s a bit tight!

Currently doing some stuff around turning it into a tanker too – interesting concept!

V-22 VARS

A

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

RAF aren’t planning on buying many of these, are they?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Just had one of these fly over work:’ is closed to new replies.