• This topic has 64 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tonyd.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Just had my pins and plate removed after 11years
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Collarbone, August 2011. It pinches a bit where the scar tissue rubs against the edge of the plate. Often think about having it taken out…

[/url] photo 3 by shermer75, on Flickr[/img]

p8ddy
    Free Member

wwaswas…

Ahhh… Ok totally different to me then (although the pins look to be located exactly the same).. We bot appeared to have ended up with an adverse reaction to the pins though….

Pity – I was curious as to full recovery times. Mine is still a bit up and down, but I got a lot of stuff done at once. 😀

yunki
    Free Member

My hip is similar to wwaswas’s used to be but with a big plate extending down the femur held in place with another half a dozen screws..

It’s been there 20 odd years now and the bone will have grown to envelop much of the metalwork.. I don’t get much gyp from it but slackness with physio immediately following the injury has left me with a dodgy gait which causes all sorts of problems.. The knee on that side is **** now too as a result of a more recent injury

chico
    Free Member

Iv posted on here before about a car hitting me head on causing multiple fractures etc etc last April, but the worst thing for me was the 40mm leg length difference caused by the steel plate failing and causing the hip to go Varus on my right hip/femur. On March 6th I had the plate removed and a rod put inside my femur also the hip rebroken and aligned, they used liquid bone and the bone from the centre of the femur to speed up recovery. I’ve been off work and the bike since April. I’ll be off for at least another 6 months but to have my legs back to the same length is worth it. Some pics here, https://www.dropbox.com/sc/97o8alt4jfir7dk/5P-Yhau63y
    I did have a large wedge in my shoe until this op.

soops
    Free Member

I must say after seeing what others have had done my poxy 7 pins and a plate in the heel seems small fry!!

Found another xray of the pins.

willv

Did the same to my heel nearly 4 years ago now. Came off the bike at kirroughtree – 3 weeks before my wedding !!

Can bad a bit achy but no urge to take them out though.

ben10
    Free Member

I broke my left femar 7 years ago got a knail full length of my femar 22mm think inside the bone screwed at the hip end. Was screwed at the knee end but had them out after a year. Thay wanted to take it out some years ago but I said no chance. Now have carbon insoles in my shoes to correct the length and the oflinement of my hip and knee my legs about 14 mm shorter the my right. I didnt ride for 5 yyears due to the paine and musle weakness still lost about 40% musle in left leg . I also broke my foot in two places and my tib and fib in three different accident over 5 years of racing moto cross

soops
    Free Member

Willy – mine went beyond achy. Even though it has only been 3 days since the op and the stitches are healing I can feel the plate and 5 of the pins have gone through the pain. Its a strange feeling!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I was taken out by a van in February, luckily only my knee cap was destroyed and is now being held together by wire.

I was told that it’d be coming out at some point other wise I’ll never be comfortable kneeling down.

All these other injuries are making mine look a bit tame, but then I seem to go for quantity rather than quality of breaks! I worked out the other day that I’ve been in a cast on average once every 2 years since I was 16!!!!

Time to start looking after myself now I think! Anyone up for cottonwoolwrappedworld.com?

benjamins11
    Free Member

Reading this stuff makes me feel mega lucky. 5 years ago I fell 9m onto my head from off stanage. Save being knocked unconscious for quite a while and a big head lac I got off scot free. Got a ride in a helicopter too, grim experience!

I anesthatise for a lot of these metalwork removals. Seems as has been said they only remove if causing pain or impinging movement. Often best left as osteomyelitis is not fun!

shermer75
    Free Member

Osteomyelitis?!?!? Don’t tease, explain!!! 🙂

benjamins11
    Free Member

Osteomyelitis is basically infection in the bone. Takes along time to treat with antibiotics, can need amputation. Not cool.

soops
    Free Member

Well 4 days on and I am walking on the ball of my unpinned foot unsupported. Very happy with progress and I have stopped the extra pain relief as I do not need it. I can feel the stitches stretching but no bleeding. 8)

mmannerr

Had my extra hardware removed this Wednesday and it occurred to me to check if there are similar stories here. 7 screws and 2 nails removed, pain from surgery is still there but at least there is no longer feeling of bone being drilled.

soops
    Free Member

Just had my stitches out today after 2 weeks.
    I can definately feel that the pins and more so the plate are not in anymore. Its a strange,nice feeling and I can’t wait for it to settle down and get the full benefit.

Pics to follow of today

soops
    Free Member

wwaswas

I’d get some moisturiser on that foot!

Glad it’s all going well. I’ve never regretted having my bolts taken out.

soops
    Free Member

No moisturiser until the scar has settled down.
    Hopefully will be able to hill walk again which is something I have mossed .

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Home at the moment with 3 cannulated screws in neck of femur (broken hip).Had the opp 7 weeks ago on Monday and all is going well.Been doing some light spinning classes this week and hopefully!will be crutch free next week and back to work.
    I need to get back to work being self employed, also being stuck indoors is driving me insane.

soops
    Free Member

So its been just over a week since the stitches came out and I am walking OK and back at work.

The surgeon told me that the plate had been catching/rubbing in 2 places. I can’t believe the difference in not having all that metal work in. 10 bloody years I have been putting up with this nagging pain and now its gone.

I know that I will still have some pain in the joint but I can put up with that.

Just looking forward to getting out on the bike again and hopefully being able to do some hill walking in the lakes again after 11 years of not being able to!

Cheers!

soops
    Free Member

I am back out riding!

I can’t believe that i put up with the pain for so long. I still have ankle pain but that is nothing compared with what it was.

For those of you with pins and plates and a nagging pain, i can say it was worth it for me having them out.

Cheers All!

wwaswas

Good news 🙂

Hope the foot looks a little less, errm, messy now!

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, what a fascinating thread.
    Can’t contribute, but did crack a metacarpus once 😉

soops
    Free Member

It is still swollen. It is weak but i am on with the exercises from the physio.

Happy Days.

tonyd

Were you awake when they removed the metalwork? I still have a plate in my ankle after high siding a mini motorbike 15 years ago, it hurts from time to time and is a bugger when I get new boots as the top of them rubs the plate.

My ankle was also pinned, but the pin removed after 3 months or something like that. It was removed under local anaesthetic which was very odd – all I saw was the surgeon disappearing behind a sheet with a large screwdriver. Shortly afterwards I realised the creaking noise and vibration in my knee were the result of him unscrewing the pin 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Just had my pins and plate removed after 11years’ is closed to new replies.