Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Just had my Land Rover stolen
  • jon_n
    Free Member

http://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/rat-trap-makes-land-rovers-hard-to-pinch.htm

But can be defeated by disconnecting the props… 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

Really sorry to read about the landy, the horrible truth is that if they want it then the bastards will have it.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t know much about the mechanics on more recent ones, but presume it’s changed slightly from the series ones – where any transmission lock could be defeated by towing with the rear wheels lifted and freewheeling hubs in freewheel mode! Entertaining when a mate’s S3 broke a half shaft doing a hill start – front hubs in freewheel mode, hence no handbrake available to enable him to get out and re-engage them, IIRC he had to rely on the kerb holding him after steering into it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Would a brake line lock not work? It’s not secure (unless you build a locking box to hold the switch or use solenoid and a secure key switch), but if it’s not common they won’t look for it?

30 seconds or so to nip underneath with a 7/16″ spanner to loosen off a bleed nipple (or 2 on a later dual circuit system) would sort that out.

Edit: I rate the x eng pedal lock as mentioned by trail_rat already. Beyond that, best bet is a tracker or two to find it once nicked. If they want it badly enough, they’ll take it. The pedal lock will deter an opportunist, but if a pro wants it they’ll be getting it no matter how many mechanical devices you fit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They push the brakes on a certain amount as well – not sure if it would be enough to stop it being towed though…

enough to engage the brake light – doesnt actually apply the brake though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They push the brakes on a certain amount as well – not sure if it would be enough to stop it being towed though…

enough to engage the brake light – doesnt actually apply the brake though.

maxb
    Free Member

Cheers guys, yes as various have posted above if they want it they will take it, at 11am in a busy Lidl car park un-challenged and brazen as can be. People have them lifted on to low loaders so at the end of the day you try and make it as inconvenient as possible but there comes a point it’s ridiculous to the owner faffing each time they stop. Starting to sink in now, kids were so tearful last night and little boy was physically sick. It’s a $hit world where being dishonest pays pretty well really for far too many people.

mashiehood
    Free Member

gutted, hope they find them and the landy.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Common mode of operation is for thieves to park it somewhere to see if it has a tracker and/or put it into a container ready to be shipped abroad (containers block the tracker signals)

I was going to post the same as this. you should be scouting around local roads, off site parking etc. it will be there for 24 hours before moving onwards

andysredmini
    Free Member

We had our 3 series nicked a couple of years ago and as mentioned above it was dumped a couple of streets away presumably to see if was being tracked or watched etc.
    We were gutted as the insurance told us there was not much chance of it being found so we spent our savings buying a new car until the insurance paid out. About an hour after buying the new car the phone call from the police came saying they had found our old one.

Its definitely worth having a ride around the local streets just in case.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Let’s put this into perspective…

It’s a car not the loss of a person/pet…

Whilst it’s annoying I grant you that,it can be replaced… Perhaps with something better.

What I’m saying is it’s not that bad really.

Sorry to be a killjoy…freedom of speech an all that

digga
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member

Let’s put this into perspective…

It’s a car not the loss of a person/pet…

Whilst it’s annoying I grant you that,it can be replaced… Perhaps with something better.

What I’m saying is it’s not that bad really.

No but, by the same token, clearly you’ve never owned a Land Rover. To a large number of owners, it’s not just another car and, like the OP, they are bought “for life” or the very long term at least.

IMHO joke the sentences for theft and burglary are a tax on ordinary working people.

OP, I feel your pain.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Any news on your landy maxb?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

oh the irony.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

A few years ago my mates Yamaha R1 was stolen from West Lancs,thought he’d never see it again.A couple of weeks later he got a call from Devon police,they wanted paying for storage as they had it in a compound,it had been dumped in a street in Plymouth.They hadn’t told West Lancs police that they had found it even after picking the bike up,they only contacted him when they wanted paying for storage…

mrsfry
    Free Member

That’s cold. I know when my dad had to part with his Landy he cried like a baby. I agree with the normal chaps that say it’s not just a car.

Some people 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Just had my Land Rover stolen’ is closed to new replies.