Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • just had my bike written off by a motorist… what's the next steps?
  • vintagewino
    Free Member

forgive the stupid question but this is the first time this has happened to me. Motorist turned across the flow of traffic and right into my path, nowhere I could go but into the side of her bonnet. I’m ok bar a few bruises etc. but my bike is a writeoff, frame & bars bent and the rest. We exchanged details and I am now at work. She was VERY shaken and knows it was her fault. So what next? Do I need a police report? Get my insurers to contact hers? any help appreciated!

devash
    Free Member

She was VERY shaken and knows it was her fault.

Going by quite a lot of similar threads on here over the years, once the adrenaline wears off and / or she realises how much it will cost to replace your kit, she may suddenly decide the blame rests elsewhere i.e. you.

Report it to the police 101 number asap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Always report to the police, for one it goes on the stats, 2 you were injured and 3 she might have a habit of things like that.
    Got legal cover through BC or ctc?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Any witnesses? Stories change once money is involved.

vintagewino
    Free Member

yes I have a witness, a colleague of mine happened to be 20m behind me when it happened. No legal cover but another colleague has sent me the BC link.

Hooter
    Free Member

Get your GP or A&E to check you over, just in case the bruising is hidding more serious injuries. As you have been injured you have to report it to the police and get a reference number for the incident. Get lots of evidence together just in case, ideally you need two witnesses. Photos of the scene also help, potentially strava or similar gps logs. Cycling UK has resources which could help

bails

Read this, do what it says : https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/131099/

Keep a log of all aches, pains, bruises etc as a result of the collision. Report to the police ASAP.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As others have said.
    Report to police.
    Write down the incident details with a diagram and pictures of the incident site. Memories fade, so best commit to paper sooner rather than later.
    Pictures of the car involved is useful to demonstrate the damage caused and severity of the impact.
    Get yourself checked out by your GP.
    Get your bike checked out and a replacement valuation from your LBS.
    Keep a dairy and receipts of any costs related to the incident and not having your bike. Travel receipts, clothing replacement etc etc.
    Check your house insurance and see if it has legal cover and engaged them.
    DON’T BE FOBBED OFF!

vintagewino
    Free Member

thanks all, much appreciated. I have an incident number now, pic of the car & my bike, a witness, the evans I got my bike from is in the same complex as my office so I will wheel the damage in there at lunch. The police are coming to visit me at work at some point today. And I’ll read that LFGSS link now. cheers all.

kimbers

devash – Member
    She was VERY shaken and knows it was her fault.
    Going by quite a lot of similar threads on here over the years, once the adrenaline wears off and / or she realises how much it will cost to replace your kit, she may suddenly decide the blame rests elsewhere i.e. you.

Report it to the police 101 number asap.

this

I saw a motorbke have the same thing happen

had to be a witness for insurance as the driver changed her story later

mrlugz
    Free Member

Similar thing happened to me last year.
    I rang the 3rd partys insurance company direct, they contacted the 3rd party.

Fortunately they admitted liability and my claim was settled within a month. All I needed to provide was an estimate from my LBS.

The insurance company seemed to always mention an injury claim, even after repeatedly telling them I was uninjured apart from a whack to the old man on the stem.

I called 101, but they werent too interested as i wasnt really hurt.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

vintagewino
    yes I have a witness, a colleague of mine happened to be 20m behind me when it happened. No legal cover but another colleague has sent me the BC link.

Who you’d just rinsed in silly commuter races!

vintagewino
    Free Member

thanks for all your help. A cheque going in the post from the driver’s insurers today. new bike time!

Stoner
    Free Member

excellent. Out of interest is the size of the cheque acceptable/taking the piss/generous? Did you have to fight hard for it? Did you get a replacement valuation from a shop to make your case for the cheque?

vintagewino
    Free Member

the cheque is good because the quoted replacement bike is full whack and I got mine for 25% off 18 months ago. Bike shop said once all the damaged bits were replaced I might as well be buying a new bike. Plus I had aftermarket wheels on so I claimed for them too – front wheel was well bent.

Stoner
    Free Member

sounds like an insurer not being dickish. nice to hear.

matt_outandabout

new bike time!

In which case we need a new ‘what bike…?’ thread to vicariously engage with you…

thecaptain
    Free Member

They were grateful you didn’t claim for injuries. Not surprising they made a quick small offer

vintagewino
    Free Member

They were grateful you didn’t claim for injuries. Not surprising they made a quick small offer

yeah this did occur to me.

new bike thread coming!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘just had my bike written off by a motorist… what's the next steps?’ is closed to new replies.