Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Just had a 'Isn't riding great' day.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Surprising really as this morning the skies where black and the wind was howling. I had decided against traveling down to the Chiltern Classics reliability trial, instead I’d do my own 100k.
    First of all I rode down to where the towns new club meets, they’re all new to the sport so I was surprised to see three out. I knew two where better than they thought and the new guy was well equiped enough in the bike and gear department to lead me to believe he could ride.
    I put forward my proposal to do the old Luton CC trial route, I mentioned the bail out and they where up for it.
    We set off in proper bad conditions, no way could you do a hand signal.
    The new guy was also very very slow and he used the conditions to opt out, that meant we could press on.
    It was really nice to ride under my normal pace and pass on my shonky knowledge to the guys with me. I should say now, these guys are Clydesdales good and proper, but hats off to them.
    With about 25 miles to go, as I was explaining the next bit of the route we were passed by a guy on a Cervelo. That doesn’t usually happen I said. They wanted to chase him down, but I said no. I said we will catch him anyway don’t worry. I tried to explain the etiquette of the road, and the important rule of never looking like you are trying, and my personal 35 year old rule ‘No use of drops outside of racing’
    The guy was trying but we caught up, I put up my hand to let them know we weren’t going to pass him. The guy was on nice kit and was big ringing it. I know how I would feel if some old bloke on a cyclo cross bike and two sixteen stone ‘gezers’ passed me!
    Any way we did it in about 3 hours 50 mins which is bloody good I thought.
    Riding back home I felt fresh and decided I’d add my 45 mile route to the day. I said my good byes and turned off to do a loop of the Chilterns.
    I was surprised, that I was surprised that going steady meant I could put a good day in the saddle. I kept it easy thinking about a future riding Audax, and how it was a shame I wasn’t down for a 200k today.
    I also decided that I wouldn’t re new my racing licence. I wasn’t getting anywhere, it was now hard work and all I had to show for 33 years racing as a senior was a sixth place.
    Towards of my extra 45 I thought about getting home and what excuses to give the missus, when I really wanted to go to a cafe and spend this tenner I’d been lugging around all day.
    I’m not sure how far I went. The 100k route is a known, it’s about 8 miles out and 8 miles back to the start and my final loop of about 45 miles -so about’ish 123 miles.
    Such a good day in such poor conditions. And any lessons learnt? yes 23mm tyres filled with 130PSI is harsh after a while.
    Bath time now.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nice.

crikey
    Free Member

Nice one fella.

I managed 2 hours then my forks broke, but to be honest it was a toil, wind behind me uphill, so sweating like a fat man in a cake shop, then grinding it out at 12 mph on the drops into the wind.

More miles needed…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Yep it was. Top Gear and an organic cider should round the day off nicely.

oldgit
    Free Member

crikey I saw the pics, is that a gonna now?. The wind was mental wasn’t it, on two occasions I was nearly blown into traffic. Though once over Ivinghoe Beacon (if you know it) it was pretty still?

crikey
    Free Member

The bike is old, but Trek said the forks are still covered by the warranty, so hopefully…

oldgit
    Free Member

trek have always been good like that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Just had a 'Isn't riding great' day.’ is closed to new replies.