Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Just got some hayes disk brakes of ebay and the rear break uses then right lever
  • mrajb52
    Free Member

They are fitted now and also bed in, can I easlily change over the levers from front to back by removing the hydraulic cable from both levers or will I loose all the fluid then have to bleed the brakes?
    Any instructions appreciated. The breaks are hayes dyno comp.

tomhoward

removing the hydraulic cable

The what now?

Aren’t hayes levers flipflopable (yes it’s a word) so just swap them?

benpinnick

Pretty straightforward swap.

1. Set the levers to they are both verically pointing upwards, this will prevent oil dripping out.
    2. Unscrew the hose from the lever where it goes in (probably an 8mm spanner.
    3. Once the retaining bolt is loose slide it down the hose out of the way. Do this for both hoses.
    4. GENTLY waggle the hoses while pulling to release them from the levers. Be careful not to wave them about or you’ll lose oil. Once one is done, tape it to the bar to stop it flailing about and spraying oil while you do the other. You dont need lots of tape,just a little to stop it moving about. Release the other from the other lever the same way (but dont tape it).
    5. Put the lose hose into the other lever, slide the retaining bolt back up and tighten it back into the lever.
    6. Untape the other hose and bolt into the remaining lever.

Job done. If you’re careful then you’ll get away with no bleed. Its not tricky, just try not to be ham-fisted about it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

What’s broken I’m confused?

100mphplus
    Free Member

Aren’t hayes levers flipflopable (yes it’s a word) so just swap them?

Apart from Dyno Comp’s!!

As ‘benpinnick’ said above ^, but prior to undoing anything, first remove wheels and pads and pump both levers a couple of times to push the caliper pistons out a bit.

Swap hoses over as above, then when all tightened push pistons back in calipers using a small ring spanner. This will effectively bleed the system and push any air in the hose into the lever reservoir.

peabrain
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my son’s new Hayes Stroker Ryde Comp.

Do I do the above faffing or just install the levers upside down? Only difference it will make, as far as I can tell, is the logos won’t be visible…

100mphplus
    Free Member

The strokers are flip-flop so just turn them upside down.

peabrain
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Just got some hayes disk brakes of ebay and the rear break uses then right lever’ is closed to new replies.