Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just got rid of Sky TV…what are my options now.
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

After 8 years we have cancelled our Sky TV subscription. We had the F1 HD package and Discovery channels, phone and broadband. For that we were paying £80+ each month. The wife likes the pause and record option on Sky+ and I really liked Eurosport for the winter sports coverage.I have kept the phone and broadband at the minute until I can find an alternative.

So what alternatives are out there. Don’t fancy BT and no cable in the area.

What are STW using?

zigzag69
    Free Member

For TV, get Freesat.

Get a nice Humax DVR for the pause/record functionality.

For broadband, its a shame you don’t have cable – you could have avoided the phone line rental fee and just used a VOIP phone.

So just choose a decent DSL supplier and take it from there. Can always subscribe to Netflix, Amazon for on demand TV.

PePPeR

+1 for a Humax, gives you the pause and record you’ll miss.

I’ve also got a Roku stick for movies and Now TV

http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    riddoch

Mate has got rid of sky in the hope that they would get a better deal.
    He is using Now TV and freesat using the sky dish.

ton

cardshare sky box. let me know if you are interested.

nickc

So what alternatives are out there

there are literally millions of books…

molgrips
    Free Member

Netflix and/or Amazon Prime Instant Video. Far cheaper than Sky and for us, far more stuff to watch.

there are literally millions of books

Can’t watch TV on them though can you? 🙄

hammyuk
    Free Member

EE for phone/bb
    Netflix and Amazon for series.
    Smart TV has all the channels on catchup anyway so “live tv” can go swivel along with the license fee.
    Add in Redbull TV, Vimeo, etc and i save ££’s

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pssst…Amazon Fire TV Stick with Kodi loaded on it. Available on Ebay.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I cancelled mine last week. I’ve kept broadband and weekend calls as they finally caves and gave me it for fee (12 months) still line rental though. They also gave me the Sky+ functionality for 12 months, so I can pause and record the channels I’ll still be able to get (normally £10 a month)

shuhockey
    Free Member

Plus last time a cancelled 2 months later they offered 50% off, one month after that it was 75% off (and then I caved)

Cougar

there are literally millions of books…

I see what you did there.

isto
    Free Member

I have just got rid of sky after having it for about 10 years. We still use one sky box in one room for freesat HD but have also added an amazon firestick sideloaded with KODI…as mentioned above. In the other room we have signed up for BT at about £10 a month and we also have the laptop hooked up to the TV so also have KODI running on that.

We haven’t really missed Sky at all – although we decided to add BT recently as realised we had nothing to record on and there are no catchup services if you use your old sky box. BT (including BT sport) worked out the same price as enabling recording freesat on one sky box so makes much more sense.

nickc

thank god it wasn’t wasted

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

What do you get on Kodi? Is it a monthly subscription or a one off payment?

Probably go for the Humax box and the fire stick.

isto
    Free Member

What do you get on Kodi? Is it a monthly subscription or a one off payment?

You just have to buy the device to run it on. KODI is open source software that can run on lots of different devices – one of which is the Firestick (albeit unofficially). It can be used to read a media server or you can also use it to run add-ons such as Genesis which can stream tv shows/movies. There are several videos on Youtube that will run through the installation process.

spawnofyorkshire

Anyone using EE TV?

I’ll be leaving sky soon and looking at freeview based alternatives

EDIT: I already have a chromecast and use it all the time for netflix/redbull etc

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Anyone know much about these zgemma boxes you can get?

stevious

For Eurosport they have an online service for ~£4/month. Then you just need some kind of device to run it into your telly.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Firestick with Kodi installed, i can watch nearly every channel I had on my Sky subscription with the added bonus of most of the latest movies in hd quality, best £35 I’ve spent for quite a while

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m looking to ditch Sky and use Freest as most of what I watch is available on Freest as my TV has twin Freest tuners so by plugging in an external HDD I can get the Sky Plus recording and live pause functionality. However I recently realised that on Freest you can’t seem to get a lot of the HD channels you can get on Sky (things like ITV4HD and other more minor channels in HD), so have held off. I could go Humax but not sure if you can get ITV4HD on that ether.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just got a Minix Android box and added Genesis. All the movies I could ever want. Any show that’s on Sky Atlantic we can now watch for free. Kids are made up as every episode of the Simpsons ever made is now viewable for free instantly.

We were paying 110 a month with sky. Now just paying 16 quid for phone and unlimited fibre broadband and stream everything except for terrestrial channels.

Not even got round to adding any other plug ins yesterday as genesis seems to have all we need. Adding it was a breeze though just by followung an step by step guide online.

loddrik
    Free Member

One of these. Bought off amazon for £115.

silverbirchdan
    Free Member

Popcorn time on my Android tablet and a chromecast. Sorted.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just got rid of Sky TV…what are my options now.’ is closed to new replies.