• This topic has 61 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Just got 'hit' by a car
  • JCL
    Free Member

Nah – I reckon (based on exactly the same information being available) that we was an illegal immigrant paedophile drug carrier with a dead body in the boot. His tyre treads were probably below the legal limit too.

Are they known for being hungover/drunk on NYD more than most then? 12% increase in DUI’s on NYD on this side of the pond.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well I’m with Bails on this. There’s no way on this earth (well the A168 from Boroughbridge to Wetherby at least) that you’d get me riding in ‘primary position’. Not a chance. I use that road a LOT, & I’ve never seen any other cyclists do it either, secondary maybe, in the ‘mini hard shoulder’ often, but not primary.

belugabob
    Free Member

Some drivers don’t know or care what is a safe distance to overtake. A couple of weeks ago I was on the way to a hospital appointment in a medical services transport transit connect when the driver passed a cyclist with literally half inch to spare.
    When I pointed out his driving was piss poor he said don’t criticise my driving then refused to acknowledge me for the rest of the way there or back.

You should have pointed out that his job was to deliver patients, not create them – then question his professional driver status, and report him to his employers.

Tweakie
    Free Member

check in the bathroom mirror – if there is any bruising where the mirror has hit you, and you can ‘add weight’ to your claim that he struck you, by ‘sizing up’ where his wing mirror on that car theoretically would have hit you when in a seated cycling position, if the bruising is in the same place, the Police have to consider it as a form of evidence, even circumstantial. You never know – the guy may have a track record of run-ins with cyclists. If that’s the case, sooner or later he’s going to kill someone! You know the kind of people “we pay road tax” blah blah blah.
    I got hit just over a month ago on an open country road, in broad daylight and frankly I’m lucky to be alive. THE NEXT PERSON MIGHT NOT BE – We all have a duty to one another to try and make the roads safer. We can each do a tiny bit. Eventually, those tiny bits add up to something big.

I hope you get to the bottom of it all and nothing else happens to your detriment.

tom200

Glad you are ok op. I overtake cyclists giving a fill lane, as if they were a car, I often get flashed and gestures from following vehicles as if I am doing something wrong!

I think part of the driving test should be riding 5 miles down a busy A road at rush hour, drivers may the begin to appreciate the vulnerability of cyclist, rather than just seeing them as another obstacle between a-b.

I bet it was and audi!

edlong
    Free Member

I’m mighty confused that you lot don’t seem to have any conception of a possible riding position other than the OP’s

right up near the pavement

or primary, especially when someone’s helpfully
    put up a picture of it – secondary position.

Very much not the same as right up near the pavement, and so many experienced cyclists ime really don’t get this, either riding right in the gutter or ‘taking the lane’ with nothing in between.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IME anyone who decides to ride primary on a 50 or 60 mph single road – given some cars will do more than 70 on this is pretty brave/foolish.

FWIW I ride in primary and in secondary depending on many factors neither choice magically makes me immune from the poor decisions and standards of shit drivers hitting me.

Also, just for a treat, when someone is hit by a car could we sympathise with them rather than blame them ?

crankboy
    Free Member

This was not your fault it was his error or lack of skill , I do find, given that most drivers do not actually want your blood on the bonnet of the car, that ridding a bit further out than you describe prevents them trying to squeeze past without any thought or turning of the wheel and compels them to perform a proper considered over take.On occasions it even makes them slow down for a couple of seconds .

crankboy
    Free Member

Fail to stop is only an offence if there is damage or injury I would say the bang to your elbow amounts to injury for those purposes. (off top of my head not intended to be authoritative)

DezB
    Free Member

Also, just for a treat, when someone is hit by a car could we sympathise with them rather than blame them ?

Indeed. Just come to expect the same old STW bollocks though. “Wouldn’t happen to me cos I’m a better rider than the OP, even though I have no idea of the circumstances or the particular road he was on, I could have avoided any incident cos I am awesome. Can’t you tell by the way I type?”

Anyway, hope the police do something OP. Let us know!

teasel
    Free Member

IME anyone who decides to ride primary on a 50 or 60 mph single road – given some cars will do more than 70 on this is pretty brave/foolish.

FWIW I ride in primary and in secondary depending on many factors neither choice magically makes me immune from the poor decisions and standards of shit drivers hitting me.

I like this post. Best thing you’ve written for ages.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Police attitudes vary massively. My recent road rage incident I reported to the local Police station. If no damage or injury occurred, then generally the Police can’t just go and have a word with the individual responsible, unless you want to press charges. Unfair I know. In my experience, the PC who I spoke to persuaded her inspector to allow her to go and speak to the guy responsible. Report the incident and take it from there.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but using a V88 form from the DVLA may well get you his name and address from his reg number.

jameso

Doesn’t matter where you were on the road. Been in a similar situ myself. If you have a reg and a mark on your arm, an injury of any kind, report it as a fail to stop after an RTA. afaia the police are obliged to follow it up, they did when someone failed to stop after hitting me with the wing mirror and causing injury – his fault in that case, as it is in yours.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just got off the phone with the police, they couldn’t get me on my mobile apparently hence the delay.

Nice officer on the phone who was genuinly concerned and had followed up the case. He had been to the driver’s house to serve him a notice that he may be prosecuted and said the driver was a 71 year old ‘very nice chap’ who had admitted straight away to it and was worried about the matter and hadn’t stopped because he thought I was some sort of army personnel in training (big MTB camelback and camo baggies) and was scared of assault. The officer completely agreed that that was no justification and was happy to prosecute had I wanted to.

I can understand that to be honest, I am 6ft 2 and with base layers jackets and all the winter kit on look quite big, plus I was very pissed off at the time which certainly traspired through my body language. Obviuosly no justification as the officer said in that case he should have gone straight to a police station and reported what had happened.

He also said the driver had been ringing him to find out what was going on so he was defo s****ing it a bit, I don’t want to crucify someone for a minute’s distraction as I hadn’t had any injuries or damage to the bike and in the end agreed that the officer will serve him a warning which will hopefully make him think twice about being a tit on the roads.

What say STW? Should I have taken everything he had? Maybe some old pics of bruises from some MTB crashes?

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’d have pushed for him to be prosecuted – I’m sure he was very remorseful in front of the policeman! Too few drivers have to answer for their crap driving and a few more prosecutions would help with awareness. Age is no excuse either – maybe he hit you because he can’t see properly? Get him off the road.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Prosecute he hit you in his car and fled the scene. His actions speak louder than his sincerity once in front of plod which may be genuine or fake

When it mattered he hit you and **** off therefore IMHO Prosecute

MoreCashThanDash

I’m usually in the forgiving “anyone can make a mistake” camp, but he should have stopped. If he thought you were dangerous he could have stayed in the car and talked to you through a tiny gap in the window.

I’m veering towards prosecution.

bails

+1 to the above. He hit you (strike 1), drove off (2) and then didn’t even bother to report it (3).

If you weren’t injured then obviously don’t claim for anything but I’d have gone for prosecution or (maybe better) an ‘education’ course.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m usually a nail ’em to the wall camp, but nobody was hurt or property damaged, this time.
    Hopefully it will be a wake up call for him.
    I saw similar with my father in law, he misjudged things mostly. It’s not some mental landscape gardener running people off the road intentionally because they looked at him funny.
    It was an accident.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Should push for prosecution – it might lead to a much needed assessment of the guys suitability to continue driving. Very few people will admit they’re no longer safe and our country is so car centric that people see driving as analogous to freedom.

My father was driving long beyond the point where he is safe and the damage to my mother’s car indicates she is too. Should be regular compulsory retests beyond 65.

bugcab
    Free Member

Failing to stop or report a collision that involved personal injury or damage is offence in itself.

Having said that I am not overly confident in police appetite to pursue this kind of incident when they have not even arrested this fella for the clear careless and probably dangerous driving leave alone the following assault!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30846362

tthew

OK, as I already butted in with the primary/secondary position thing. Is there a middle way where the police can require him to take a medical fitness test? I’d be more interested in seeing his licence revoked if he isn’t safe over a few points and a fine then being free to do it again.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Just got 'hit' by a car’ is closed to new replies.