Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Just got Bike to Work scheme – what new commute should i get??
  • swisstony
    Free Member

It needs to have 700c wheels but i don't fancy a full on road bike, so a hybrid but with more of a leaning towards the road if you know what i mean.

Any suggestions??

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, I bought a Kona Sutra this time last year and it has done a sterling job. Also worked well on a C2C and a few other jaunts, too. Even got used successfully on a Merida marathon when my proper bike was out of action.

organic355
    Free Member

cross bike

I was looking at this on C2W

allthegear
    Free Member

Come to think of it, that means my C2W deal is coming to an end… 🙂

I could do with a folding bike but know absolutely nothing about them – what are the good ones – need to have mudguards, panniers and able to be ridden in a work skirt etc…

swisstony
    Free Member

yeh been looking at kona's no idea they did so many models, thought about a cross bike but i don't think drop bars are for me?

ta

Helios
    Free Member

Can I be first to suggest Cotic Roadrat with flat bar? Has 700c wheels and a mountain bikey feel on a roady frame…

I love mine… the nice chaps over at 18Bikes sorted it for me…

Bregante

cross bike

Genesis Croix de Fer

Mmmm

domino

My current bike to work short list – I fancy a singlespeed
    Kona Paddywagon
    Trek Soho S – with belt drive
    Giant Bowery

Struck off the list due to me being too short – Genesis Flyer and Genesis Day One Cross

Alex

I had a cross bike (old Kona Jake the Snake) but bought a Boardman Team Comp road bike on C2W. Liked the look of that Genesis at the time. Roads round here are rubbish, and cobbles etc near work, but it is so much faster than the CX bike. Proper, silly light as well.

Depends what you want it for, I was a roadbike-hater and never thought I'd have one, but didn't use CX for off road more than twice in two years.

If you're set on a CX bike tho, the Genesis does look very good. Long lead times when I looked.

xander
    Free Member

My Croix de Fer arrives in 2 weeks. Pretty heavy apparently, but looks like a great bike for commuting. I have a set of white chromoplastic mudguards ready to fit!

druidh
    Free Member

If you want a "fast hybrid", then there are some flat-barred road bikes you might want to consider. Marin do their ALP series for this. Check out their website, but something like the Lucas Valley would be worth a gander.

pennine
    Free Member

I've got one of those Marin Alp bikes. Only does C2W and ok on the rubbish urban roads I ride. A lot quicker than my old hardtail

Houns

If your scheme is with Halfords then go for this:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_LTD.html

Very light, very quick

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all, some good bikes there, the Roadrat is top of the list at the mo, it will go well woth my BFe!

matt_bl
    Free Member

Alex – Member

I had a cross bike (old Kona Jake the Snake) but bought a Boardman Team Comp road bike on C2W. Liked the look of that Genesis at the time. Roads round here are rubbish, and cobbles etc near work, but it is so much faster than the CX bike. Proper, silly light as well.

Depends what you want it for, I was a roadbike-hater and never thought I'd have one, but didn't use CX for off road more than twice in two years.

If you're set on a CX bike tho, the Genesis does look very good. Long lead times when I looked.

Where did you see the information on the lead times? I have been waiting three weeks for a Genesis Day-One, but just assumed it was Halfords and their suppliers being slow.

Matt

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just taken the gears off my Marin Lucas valley, now similar weight to the carbon bianchi I have. If your commute is less than 10 miles and relatively flat, it's a winner.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a Marin Mill Valley a few years ago when I wasn't able to ride offroad following a broken ankle and while its been a good bike my new C2W bike is much better, it feels faster, its more comfy and it gives me more (offroad) options on my commute.
    Orbea igorre:-

MountainMutant
    Free Member

If you can top up your C2W scheme then this would be top of my list

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/colnago/super-ss-2010-single-speed-road-bike-ec021227

edhornby

1400 quid for a steel singlespeed just cos it's got colnago stickers???

400 quid ish gets you a mtm bob jackson frame, you could get some really nice wheels, wouldn't need to skimp on chainset or finishing kit and still have about 600 quid left over…..

toby1

It might be worth giving a road bike a try, I never thought they'd be for me either, drop bars and all. But I bought an old one second hand and I've since done loads of miles on it. The distance travelled vs effort put in really is a great ratio compared with my singlespeed 26" wheeled kona commuter.

speaker2animals

Boardman CX or Hybrid. Personally I'd go for the Hybrid. Nice bikes with excellent kit spec.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Just got Bike to Work scheme – what new commute should i get??’ is closed to new replies.