Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just got a new (old) watch
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My old ma was having a tidy out and came across a watch that belonged to my long departed dad
    To her knowledge it hadn’t been wound for at least forty years, so gave it a few turns of the winder and to my surprise the sweep hand started to turn.

She insisted I have it and must say i’m well chuffed with it, no idea how old it is, ma reckoned about WW2 sort of time. Looks a bit art deco to me, once a new strap has been fitted will be getting regular use, keeps good time too

Bit dirty and could probably do with a clean/new glass, but think i will leave it for a while

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Lovely mate, timeless and priceless, won’t take much to make it everyday-able.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

that is a handsome watch indeed.

CountZero

Cracking piece, that! Very stylish, a professional clean and service would be worth while, certainly.
    Rotary have always been good watches, if that’s around sixty years old, it could easily go for another sixty, looked after.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As CountZero said get it serviced, cleaned and look after it.

dannybgoode

Jealous! That is a nice timepiece. Elegant and stylish…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s mint! (well, It’s not but you know what I mean)

bearnecessities

You may already know this, but that’s a ‘small seconds’ type; a really lovely feature that’s still used today by Omega etc in their high end ranges.

If you wanted, that could get brought up a treat.

Old watches are ace, for so many reasons 😀

Cougar

timeless

Not really a feature you want in a watch.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just had a look on the Rotary website and this picture would suggest ma had it about right with her WW2 estimation.Looks a similar style, puts my watch at approx seventy years old give or take Rotary Watches

You may already know this, but that’s a ‘small seconds’ type

I didn’t know that, thank you for letting me know

My everyday (only other) watch is an oldie too, but lot newer than the latest one. Don’t know anything about watches apart from not keen on battery ones.

Other watch

matthewjb
    Free Member

That’s a lovely watch.

Maybe a gentle clean and service would help. The scratches will probably polish out of the glass.

I can suggest someone if you’re interested. They did a nice job on my Father in law’s watch which had been bashed about. They fixed the problems but didn’t remove the history.

Untitled by Matthewjb, on Flickr

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mrs Coolhandluke recently took an old watch she was given years ago (some relative or something) to get a new battery put in as it had stopped, the bloke behind the counter wound it up for her!

Oh how we laughed

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Me too… Only mine’s not quite as old…

Got a Citizen Automatic NY2300 off ebay for $65. Lume on the hands really quick to charge up. Number “dots” a little slower. Leaving it outside this morning and this arvo for the 30c + sun to charge it up good n proper. Won’t be as good at night as my Luminox but still, classic looking watch nonetheless.

palmer77
    Free Member

Some lovely watches here. While we are on the subject, does anybody know where I could find out a bit more about this Sekonda? I bought it on eBay a few years ago with no real information. It’s a steel case, with a very profound glass which has a slight dipole in it indicating a fairly low-tech production process. It also has ‘USSR’ and ’19 Jewels’ on it, and has a sweeping hand of sorts, by which I mean it ticks 4 times per second.

[/url]
    Untitled by bushmills77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]

[/url]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just got a new (old) watch’ is closed to new replies.