Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Just get out and run?
  • irelanst
    Free Member

Along with starting running I would start doing eccentric calf lifts – at some stage your achilles and/or calves will hurt, so you might as well start strengthening them now. Side planks with legs raises are also good for hip flexors which don’t get much of a workout from cycling but can hurt after running particularly off road.

brassneck

Plus any ride seems to involve a certain amount of faff to get out of the bloody door, 10mins for road, >15 for mtb, I have no idea why, it’s more like 2 minutes for a run.

This – no more Excuse Monkey. Almost enjoy running now, and knowing that I’m a sight fitter when I’m running than not helps a lot.

miketually
    Free Member

I really need to get back into running again; every time I try I get out of the habit and stop but I seem to get the urge to start earlier each year so maybe it’ll stick one day.

jimification
    Free Member

Some randoms based on my very limited running experience:-

– If you’re a reasonably fit cyclist, you’ll be able to run fast enough to annihilate your leg muscles.
    – The first few runs WILL give you DOMS, just make them short and easy and not before a bike race or anything.
    – Run off road, not on tarmac or concrete. It’s MUCH less bad for your joints and seems to take less time to recover from.
    – Running is VERY injury prone. I don’t think I know anyone who runs who hasn’t had some form of injury from it.
    – Running shoes are annoyingly expensive for what they are and need replacing regularly.
    – I find it great for just getting out for a bit when the weather is shit in the winter.
    – It’s very easy to measure your improvement with running, much easier than biking.
    – Cycling is better for running than running is better for cycling (if you see what I mean)
    – Parkrun is brilliant.

brassneck

Cycling is better for running than running is better for cycling (if you see what I mean)

Think I do but I disagree – climb much better when running regularly.

Pieface

The cause of most problems is too much, too quick, even for seasoned runners.

Once you get over the initial ‘curve’ and find you start to achieve things you’ll start pushing yourself and may strat getting injuries.

IME its really important to spend a few minutes each day stretching and a few exercises on the supporting muscles to maintain the supporting muscles, in my case Lunges, Squats and Clam exercises.

Main benefit of running is minimal prep / faff / maintenance and expense, unless you go to the physio alot or get obsessed with shoe / clothing choices. There’s just as many nerdy gadgets to buy if you want them, but thankfully you’ll still struggle to spend more than a few hundred pounds on even the flashest bits of kit.

Also you get to places / see things you wouldn’t otherwise. Running around the less selubrious parts of your town at 6am in the winter is quite interesting.

miketually
    Free Member

– Running is VERY injury prone. I don’t think I know anyone who runs who hasn’t had some form of injury from it.
    – Running shoes are annoyingly expensive for what they are and need replacing regularly.

According to the Born To Run book I just read, these to facts are related, and it wouldn’t be an online running discussion without a ‘barefoot’ debate 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

New Godwin’s law: Any running thread won’t get past the second page before someone mentions barefoot style. And it wasn’t even me this time 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

According to the Born To Run book I just read, these to facts are related, and it wouldn’t be an online running discussion without a ‘barefoot’ debate

Sorry, I was busy. Here we go:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4[/video]

scaled
    Free Member

You bastards – the first 2 posts were exactly what happened to me. Aerobically fit, completely not ready for running.

I’d got some bloody stupid shoes as well – the cat did me a favor pissing on them.

I got off my arse, ran 5k and I literally couldn’t walk without discomfort for a week.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Just get out and run?’ is closed to new replies.