Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Just found an old cheque – will I get the money?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not a life changing amount of money – only a hundred quid – issued as a Building Society cheque – i.e. I don't even know who made it out to me – it's just from the BS. I think a client made it out as part payment along with another bank cheque, which obviously got lodged. It's dated 02/08/2007 – one assumes it'll still get paid?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I thought it was 6months on cheques then at discretion of the issuing bank.

psychle
    Free Member

it'd be stale wouldn't it?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

A normal cheque has to be cashed within a year but a BS cheque which is cleared funds may be different. I would imagine it is in a BS clearing or suspense account, not with who sent it to you so it might be at least trying to cash it. If it fails, get in touch with the BS.

clunker

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Bradford and Bingley?

scraprider
    Free Member

bang it in mate .

fadda

Banks don't even check the details (dates, amount in words/figures, or even signatures) on cheques of that little value, they're just cleared. So your problem is more likely to be whether or not the bank you pay it into will accept it, rather than whether it gets paid at the drawing bank…

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Banks don't even check the details (dates, amount in words/figures, or even signatures) on cheques of that little value, they're just cleared. So your problem is more likely to be whether or not the bank you pay it into will accept it, rather than whether it gets paid at the drawing bank…

They do, once had a cheque for £35 but words and numbers were different by a few quid, the lower amount of the two was credite but letter also sent, checking that the cheque was kosher.

fadda

Should have qualified. I've worked for 3 different clearing banks over a 22 year career and, in that limited experience I know that the volume of cheque transactions is such that those under a financial limit (£1000 in two cases, and £500 in the third) are not routinely checked for correct completion or for signature. I can't speak for the other banks, though.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Cheques don't have an expirey date so it will still be valid unless they have cancelled it.

tyke
    Free Member

As ComradeD states a cheque doesn't expire and as it's a BS one you should be able to get the money fairly easily. Either pay it into your account and see if it doesn't get picked up as too out of date. Or go into a B&B branch and get them to cash it for you; if this fails get them to give you the address for the head office and if you send the cheque into them they will issue a new one.

antigee

Cheques don't have an expirey date so it will still be valid unless they have cancelled it.

so our bank HSBC routinely refuses cheques more than 3 months old as they have most likely been cancelled by the issuer which means more admin costs for the bank
    – remembers to go and rummage thru mrs antigee's vast collection of possible places has put odd chqs

ComradeD
    Free Member

tell HSBC to bugger off and get them to cash it.

I work for a bank and we'll cash any cheque.

Spongebob
    Free Member

A cheque may not be honoured after 6 months. I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

If you are unsure, ask your bank!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it was a personal cheque, I wouldn't even think about lodging it. I'd be pretty peeved if someone held onto a cheque of mine for 2 and a half years and then lodged it. However, it's a BS (Nationwide) cheque which means my client (whoever it was) would have had to "pay" the BS to issue the cheque wouldn't they? Therefore, the client has already "paid" and it's sat in a fund somewhere in the BS waiting to be drawn surely?

Of course I'll be lodging it anyway, but nothing like getting a few urban myths out on STW is there…

VanHalen

i was told 6months only on an old personal cheque i tried to bank (£10 value – Natwest – 8 month old cheque found in the 'useful' drawer)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Just found an old cheque – will I get the money?’ is closed to new replies.