• This topic has 26 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by taka.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • just f$&k3d my trek!
  • taka
    Free Member

riding down the road and the fr1ggen seattube snapped off! my fault realy relised there was a small crack on it after last weekend at guisburn forest guess its lucky ive just bought an inbred frame 😯

ah well sh1t happens off to strip my 2 ride old trek down!

shinsplints

This thread is useless without pics !

XC_PK
    Free Member

Pics Please 😉 What was it?

taka
    Free Member

2002 trek fule will do pics in a bit

PePPeR

If it cracked by the dérailleur hanger, where the seat tubes has the funny weld then Trek normlly warranty them!

IT may be worth asking them nicely.

jimr80
    Free Member

i noticed a crack on seat tube my 08 Trek ex9 on Saturday afternoon . took the bike to my LBS this monday afternoon under warranty and 24 hrs later they've phoned me to say they've had a new frame from Trek and its re-built and ready for collection.
    so if your the original owner go back to your Trek dealer as there frames carry a lifetime warranty.

vinnyeh

assuming this is the frame

is that weld on the seatube just above the top tube really supposed to be there (I genuinely don't know, but it looks really suspect to me)? Is that where it cracked?

trail_rat
    Free Member

did you have your monster Ts on this one too ?

UncleFred
    Free Member

Mine broke just above the front derailluer. Trek replaced it with no questions.

I've also gone through 2 rear swingarms, both broke in the same place, right hand chain stay just by the bracing tube. Again both replaced with no questions.

taka
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    did you have your monster Ts on this one too ?

nope manitiou nixons at 115mm

vinnyeh yeh thats the one and thats the weld

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 rides in 7 years?

vinnyeh

well, to put it bluntly, I'd say you've been done. I'd ask for my money back if there's been a repair job done. Seller stated 'it is well used but there are no dents.' To me there's an implication that it doesn't have any other structural failings there. Good luck.

taka
    Free Member

cynic-al its 2 rides old for me

cynic-al
    Free Member

gotcha. Aye that's been repaired. But you could have worked that out before buying. Not very candid of seller.

rolfharris
    Free Member

That weld is meant to be there, it's part of a sleeve that forms the mount for the rocker link- there's a similar weld above the front mech. For it to be rewelded it's a *very* accurate repair and resticker job.

cynic-al
    Free Member

sure rofl? I had one and I don't remember that. Though he's not said that's where it broke.

vinnyeh

thanks for clearing that up then rolfharris- I couldn't find any sign of the weld on any photos I could find, but couldn't find any really clear shots, and jumped to conclusion. Apologies to all concerned 😳

taka
    Free Member

yeh thats the weld it has gone on im not too fussed about it ive been told that my fathers mate can re weld/sleeve it some how? just a shame its broken so soon bikeless yet again yntill i get this inbred bought and on the road hills again 😉

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

tom it will be easy to led that back up!!!

i would make a sleeve to fit about 3" in to the tube and fit a smaller dia seat post!!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure- and if you look at the rest of the bike, bearing in mind if it was re-welded then it'd need a respray, then there's a lot of care been taken on the frame of a £1k bike- right down to the "warning, wear a helmet!" and "designed in usa" stickers.

I think it's just a case of bad luck unfortunately.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ROFLharris

Creg

Another buggered Trek Fuel

Mine has gone on the chainstay, same place that UncleFreds broke.

No warranty replacement for me either….I hope the tosser that sold it to me gets a really nasty case of cockrot

atlaz
    Free Member

taka – either you need to be smoother or you're always buying dodgy frames. I seem to remember you've broken more than seems normal.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Creg,

You can get replacement swing arms from Trek, it's a common fault and although you're not the original owner they should get you one for a good price.

Personally I'd try and get the warranty replacement from a friendly Trek dealer.

Creg

I was wondering about getting a replacement from Trek but had concerns about the frame being pretty old, think its a 2004 model.

Ill find a UK distributor and give them a call. I dont have a local Trek dealer so cant ask them unfortunately.

rOcKeTdOg

just bought an inbred frame? last i heard it was 3 days and counting and no money had changed hands 😕

taka
    Free Member

yes ive just paid for it

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘just f$&k3d my trek!’ is closed to new replies.