Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just finished the SDW.. what a difference in the wet
  • brack
    Free Member

Rode it a few weeks ago and was flying along..

6 Of us have just completed (2 days) it yesterday following the crappy ( normal) weather weve been having recently.

I know this is hardly shock horror news but wow what a difference a bit of water makes..50 miles a day became a bit of a slog.

wwaswas

Strava KOM’s around the sdw are safe until next year now.

Even up top it gets pretty sticky after a few days rain. Green chalk seems to be back with a vengeance too.

brack
    Free Member

Sorry but [*]What the **** is a strava kom ?

wwaswas

I don’t like suggesting do forum search for Strava but do a forum search for Strava.

It’s a GPS ride recording thingy, basically, that allows you to compare times with other people.

catsplums
    Free Member

and the fastest up a certain section gets King of Mountain

bigyinn
    Free Member

Has the green chalk actually gone away this year, really?

brack
    Free Member

Sorry I was going to google 8)

wwaswas

The last month’s been pretty good around Brighton but rain this weeks brought it back with a vengeance.

Lots of spinning wheels on cross tyres last night 🙁

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Sorry but [*]What the **** is a strava kom ?

Sorry but where the **** you been hiding?

brack
    Free Member

Holyzeus

Sorry mate…Im clearly not in touch anymore.

But then again you could just argue…I just ride

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Me too, with Strava 😉

superfli
    Free Member

Not nice in the wet. I rode the SDW 3 weeks ago and it was lovely. Hard packed and fast. I rode parts of it last Friday and there was a big difference. Climbs up chalky slopes were very slippy, with the big sliding sideways moments, I would not like to ride been riding that down at pace. Some of the chalkier descents would be pretty treacherous – Washnigton, Harting for example. Then it dries slightly and becomes gloop. Fk that, wait till spring!

Lummox

7 of us attempted a sdw double in one just as the recent storm hit, to say it made a difference is an understatemend, i was out after multiple crashes and a very very black mood at 60 ish miles with another, the remainder completed a one way finishing at 3 in the morning taking 21 hours in total. We’d set a 20 hour limit which was 6 hours over our predicted time based on training rides. Reluctantly the return was canned as brake pads were gone, mechanicals and injuries were plagueing everyone.

Usually you can enjoy the downs and make up a bit of time on them, not at the moment, i’m still having nightmares about green chalk

smiff
    Free Member

the green chalk is an algae, and yes it’ll have you skidding along using your chin as a brake* before you even knew you were coming off..
    *possibly just me?
    the good thing about this is its so slippery you take a while to come to a stop, and don’t get too scratched, just winded/broken ribs.

usually only a problem on less ridden areas, main trail should stay clear of green?
    need to get the rangers up there with some WetNForget (patio cleaning fluid) :p

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just finished the SDW.. what a difference in the wet’ is closed to new replies.