Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Just finished a mates bike build(pic)
  • knottie8
    Free Member

A lovely On-One carbon 456 to thrash around the Qs. Its on ride to work wheels/tyres but there are some tasty Chris Kings for off road !

Its not often I fancy carbon but this one I’d like although a SSed Whippet might be more my style. Hope you enjoy this JP.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s bloody lovely. A mate’s bike you say? Must be a bloody good one judging by that build.

titusrider
    Free Member

its pretty gorping

get the proper wheels on it and and get all the mudguards off it….
    … and while your there take some spacers out..
    … then change the frame….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    knottie8
    Free Member

its a sweet build Thompson/xtr apart from the wheels. Big vented brakes with carbon colour hoses too.

enfht
    Free Member

That rear mudguard reminds me of a Batman cape

snaps
    Free Member

Is it for JC?
    He’s the only person I know that uses vented discs for UK riding – I rode a V2 non vented front with a Ti6 rear on the G spot for two weeks @ the Mega this year & it was fine!
    Looks nice but those wheel look wobbly because of the rim pattern.

timmys

Disc rotors look as though they are off a supermarket special. Three mudguards. Managing to make normally lovely XT rims look goping. It’s not going well I’m afraid.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That is one minging, badly coordinated bike there.

_tom_
    Free Member

The rims and mudguards make it look messy. Guess it rides nicely though 🙂

Bernaard
    Free Member

Sorry but having seen a carbon 456 in the flesh I am so glad I went back to steel
    Take the guards off

takisawa2

If your mates happy thats all that counts.
    Have to agree, the brakes are a bit OTT. 🙂

sc-xc

Cripes. I’d hate to see a bike you built for an enemy….

Klunk
    Free Member

damn thats gone quite a few rounds with the ugly stick.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

those mudguards look awesome. And 203mm discs on an xc hardtail? Awesome.

pricey
    Free Member

Ever tried riding to work in the rain and having a wet arse all day ? That’s what the mudguards are for !

Euro
    Free Member

As a whole, it manages to be less than the sum of it’s parts.

wwaswas

I suspect that the downtube is actually slightly wider then the majority of the front mudguard?

trick with rear crudcatchers on a hardtail is to run them fairly close to the tyre rather than a foot away from it.

mogrim

Mudguards rock, but those rims are quite amazingly ugly…

mudsux
    Free Member

minging rear mudguard
    towering headset spacers
    underwhelming skinny tyres
    OTT braking

other than that — its alright 😉

rOcKeTdOg

some sod has wrapped an old inner tube around the fork crown

rOcKeTdOg

pricey – Member
    Ever tried riding to work in the rain and having a wet arse all day ? That’s what the mudguards are for !

does he ride off road all the way to work? that’d be fab, lucky boy!

knottie8
    Free Member

OTT BRAKES ? Not if your twenty stone + and ride fast as f##k !

maybe post some pics of your own beauties ?

neil853
    Free Member

Give the guy a break man 🙄 , mudguards (majority) will come off when he goes off road I presume. With the different wheels and tyres I bet it looks very night

Janesy
    Free Member

I realy dont understand this “Im fat heavy so have huge brake rotors.

barbus
    Free Member

Not a fan of the Carbon 456 but can see why some people are, Im sure the cost plays a big part too.

Other than the OTT brakes I like it.

Besides, no mater how it looks we all know with a good rider on board it will fly.

Good effort I say.

barbus
    Free Member

Just had to take another look. Don’t know why.
    There is just something about it..I cant help but keep looking.

The bike equivalent to Rachel Atherton, a bit average to look at but with such excellent credentials, there is just something that makes me give some respect.

specialknees
    Free Member

The bike equivelent of Rachel Atherton.

Is anybody with me?

soobalias
    Free Member

i have no problem with mudguards, but that rear one achieves nothing at that angle surely.

of course if it adds a “batman cape” feel than its all good.

tell your mate to get a dedicated commuter and put some real tyres on what is otherwise a nice bike.

mildred

I just get the feeling the if a big lad going fast as f***k was to grab handful of those brakes on that frame it would drag the back end off.

Please, if you go riding together, wear a headcam to share the moment it happens with us all.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

FUGLY doesn’t do that justice… 😕

Dylan08
    Free Member

Nice forks & build kit! The frame is gash!! 😉

mos

Just needs a fluro yellow smiley face wheel disc (not disc wheel) to complete the look, oh and some bar ends.

miketually
    Free Member

Has anyone built a nice-looking C456 yet?

wwaswas

I liked my one when I first built it up;

It’s got some white forks and wheels now and I’m not so sure.

beanieripper
    Free Member

they are fugly frames at the best of times, wwaswas’s is one of the nicest looking ones i’ve seen and that monstrosity is probably the worst..

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah that all-black one looks nice. I suppose with this frame you have to try to make it as subtle as possible as not to draw attention to itself, so it just kind of blends into the background 😆

Olly
    Free Member

OP: Gopping.

1/10

[edit] sorry, that wasnt very productive. but i think its hideous, brakes look RIDICULOUS, as do the wheels.
    never like the 456 carbon frame either, i dont know how they made quite such a hideous mess of that frame

vdubber67
    Free Member

What they all said above

sharki
    Free Member

Enjoy your new build Pricey.

Is that all the parts off the Marin?

BTW, welcome to the strange world of STW and many of it’s over opinionated users.

Most mean well, but they do suffer from a bit of penis envy now and again.

pricey
    Free Member

This is my bike well one of the three I own ,got the frame on impulse as i thought it would b nice to own a hard tail too but was realy disappointed with the Qualty and the way it looked ,so I have decided to ride it to work hence the wheels and mudguards , it’s all xtr and got Chris king off road wheels to go on as all my bikes, but prob won’t see any mud ,a big thank u to knottie who kindly put it togeather for me .as for the brakes they work every time after trying different makes and the discs going blue and the pads catching on fire went for the biggest I could find ! If I was behind u your b glad Ive got them so I can stop and not ram u like I have mates in the past .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Just finished a mates bike build(pic)’ is closed to new replies.