Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Just done a regular mountain bike ride on my new crosser.
  • globalti
    Free Member

Got back from Khartoum yesterday so took a day off work and went up to Dunsop Bridge (centre of the UK) in the Bowland Forest, where I thought I’d try the bike on Hornby Road, which is a very ancient track running NW about 10 miles from Slaidburn across the tops of the fells.

The first five miles on tarmac were fine although definitely slower than on the carbon roadie then I got on to worn out concrete shooters’ track and dropped the tyre pressures a bit. The tyres are slicks so quite skittish on gravelly surfaces but with a bit of yomping I made it to the top of the fell. Turned left then and took a cheeky trail down into a little valley that leads back to Whitendale Farm. Riding down a gentle hill on tussocky grass was when the off-road limitation of the bike became clear – I just didn’t have the confidence that I’d have had on the mountain bike and ended up walking some bits I know I’ve ridden in the past. Got to some horribly boggy sections and the bike was pretty good, bearing in mind I was on slicks it ploughed through bogs well, holding a good line and not sinking in as much as I expected – maybe the 700 size wheels are better for crossing boggy ground. Having quite a stiff ali frame might help as you feel as if all your effort is going straight to the back wheel.

Once I got back onto smoother ground it was great, blasting effortlessly along singletrack, then farm track and down through fields at a good rate, then really fast for the last 4 miles down a nice smooth tarmac access road. Back to Dunsop Bridge as darkness fell and drank a pint of tea in the cafe while yarning with Trevor the owner by a nice warm log fire.

Altogether a good couple of hours out. A bike like this would have been great for the Polaris trailquest events I used to do a lot, the speed would definitely give you an advantage…. I wonder if Polaris allow crossers?

Clover

Thanks for that. Full suss has been laid up for a bit and I’ve been very surprised at where you can take a cx bike. Sounds nice. Almost rideable from Todmorden… hmmm… maybe in the summer…

charliedontsurf

Cross bikes are ace. Give it some stick and everything is doable.

spacemonkey

What bike/frame/spec/brakes are you running?

jonba
    Free Member

The difference in braking and grip is always fun compared to a road bike. Just takes a bit of a different approach. Hardest for me is anything steep. Going down slopes in the drops is a little unnerving at first.

I’ve been surprised how capable the cross bike is. Some races have used sections of bmx track so I know you can even jump them.

nbt

It’s not wrong, it’s just different, I’ve reallay enojyed using CX for commuting and riding some regular MTB trails on it – much slower speed, and much greater feeling of acheivement on finally cleaning it

globalti
    Free Member

What bike/frame/spec/brakes are you running?

It’s a Specialized Tricross, ali frame and forks, Tiagra, brakes upgraded to BB7s. I’ve fitted mudguards too so apart from wet feet I was completely dry and clean all over, which was rather nice.

I think I would summarise the ride by saying that it’s faster than a clumpy old mountain bike but heavier and slower than a good roadie so over mixed terrain over a middle distance you feel as if you’ve had a good ride – ideal for the purpose for which I bought it, which is as a winter trainer. With some cross tyres on it I’m expecting it to be excellent in snow as the geometry is very stable.

surfer
    Free Member

Go for some CX tyres as oppose to the slicks, bit slower on the road but great off!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They’re a very capable bike when you get the hang of them.
    I took mine round one of my usual loops after finishing building it to get used to it before racing the following weekend.
    Best thing I ever did though was buy a set of Challenge Grifo tyres-they’re awesome! Only thing better would be Dugasts, but I’m not running tubs.

birdage

My tricross went everwhere my mates mountain bikes went, Friston and Stanmer and was never out performed. Road bits obviously more fun. Only things that convinced me to get a rigid 29er was the occasional surprise root and hole that threw me off and tiredness from very bumpy rides.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Just done a regular mountain bike ride on my new crosser.’ is closed to new replies.