Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Just discovered – I'm still paying phone insurance (13 years after cancelling!!)
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Just received a letter from phones 4U offering me to upgrade but also more interestingly instructing me that I am paying £5.99/month for phone insurance on a Nokia 5110……which I cancelled in 2000!! 😯
    Obviously after 13 years I have no recollection (or proof) that I cancelled the insurance along with the phone but I’m pretty sure I would have done. The reason I never picked up on it was because it appears on my bank statement as ‘policyadmin services’ so I wrongly assumed it was something to do with the Natwest.
    Does anyone with any consumer law knowledge know if I have any claim against this insurance company for the £950 approx I have paid over the last 13 years or do I simply have to put it down to me being an idiot and not checking what the DD was for (if the latter – can anyone beat 13 years?!) 😆

onandon
    Free Member

The same thing happened to me around 6 years ago. Phones 4u were still billing me for insurance and were doing so for five years. My bank,natwest actually refunded me the money and recouped the funds from the phone company.
    it was around £570 or so.

binners

Stupidity tax, innit? We’ve all done it. Though you deserve an extra pat on the back for 13 years! Outstanding! 😀

Flapjack
    Free Member

Happy days! I’ll get onto the Natwest in the morning! Did you have to present any proof of cancellation?

Flaperon

NTL billed me for two years of broadband after moving to a non cabled area. Natwest (bank at the time) refunded the money straight away.

Flapjack
    Free Member

Thanks Binners! we all have a skill 😆

philbert31
    Free Member

I have skills with a bowstaff

Dickyboy

I chased a refund from Rose bikes for some stuff I’d ordered & turned out not to be in stock, they then also refunded me the £50 odd I’d paid some brakes & not received about a year earlier!

vickypea
    Free Member

That also happened with me and Phones 4U but luckily only for several months rather than several years. I had a bit of a rant at the man in the shop about it, but he didn’t care!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

4-5 months is the best I can manage, wouldn’t be so bad but it was about £130 a month! Old insurance DD that I thought I’d cancelled, I def didn’t renew the insurance. Damn you Direct Line, refunded very quickly I must say. 13 years is awesome!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Just discovered – I'm still paying phone insurance (13 years after cancelling!!)’ is closed to new replies.