Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Just degreased drivetrain, wet lube again or dry lube?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had a pleasant couple of hours in the sun removing 6 months of built up grime from the bits of the drivetrain I usually can’t get to during a quick clean.

Usually use Finish Line wet stuff but I’ve got a bottle of Squirt sat here begging to be used.

Irrespective of which weather God I will upset, do I stick with the wet stuff or do I make the switch to dry?

creamegg
    Free Member

Been using dry lube all year round. Would never go back to wet.some are better than others, think the one i use is muc off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Try whatever is new

martinhutch

Finish line wet will produce a depressingly filthy drivetrain even after one dry ride. Use dry, just remember to wipe down and reapply before putting the bike away!

xcstu
    Free Member

+1 for Squirt!! not used anything else in years!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Squirt for me too. I’ll never go back to wet

Yak

Squirt ftw!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just be carefull if you google it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just don’t use Finish Line wet lube as it is just too sticky. Since I stopped using it, I’ve been getting much better life out of my drivetrain. However, it is very good for cleaning and lubing fork seals.

I just buy whatever non-wet lube is going cheapest on t’internet.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers.

Squirt it is then! How much do you put on the first time? Tried it once last year and it ended up looking like I’d melted a candle over the chain which put me off a bit. I guess I used too much?

Must admit the chain is black after a couple of miles with the wet stuff, once dusty it’s the same as grinding paste.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

been using but R&R blue for a couple of years regardless of the weather, not keen on going back to any of the gloopy wet lubes

sam_underhill

Another view for r&r blue here. But it’s hard to get hold of. I read on here that there is no longer a UK importer. I’ve just picked up some 1/2 price prolink gold extreme from halfords. Seems a popular choice so worth a go. No way would I go back to a wet lube.

iainc

I use Squirt this time of year and progold extreme in wetter months. Both very good, Squirt keeps things cleaner. Can’t see me ever using my C3 Ceramic Wet stuff again – pity as have a full bottle !

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

So what’s the best way to apply it? Drizzle it on the chain whilst back peddling as shown on YouTube?

iainc

Squirt ? Yes, drop on each link while back pedalling slowly. Give it a few hrs before riding ideally. Make sure chain clean and dry first. After riding a quick wipe with a rag and a relube.

ksmatharu
    Free Member

Another vote for Squirt. I just apply liberally over each chain link. I guess it doesn’t matter too much if you accidently gets loads on the chain. Let the stuff dry, ideally overnight, and it should change colour from white to clear. I’ve not had to clean my chain having switched from wet lube a few years ago 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Only use wet if you’re riding through rivers. The stuff will just suck in crud and destroy your drivetrain.

Thing is wet lube doesn’t mean what people think, i.e. for use in wet weather. It’s a thick wet consistency lube. Yes for keeping water out, but dry lube is also suitable for wet weather.

+1 Squirt, but full degrease is important before applying. It’s wax based and you don’t want oil or muck in there. Let it dry, ride and ride and reapply from time to time, but you’ll generally have a clean shiny chain all year round, and the cassette will be fairly muck free also. Gentle hose the bike and wipe chain, apply a little more and keep going.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Just finished my bottle of Finish Line Dry and bought some Squirt lube on the strength of the recommendations here. A few folk saying degrease the chain before first application… I have a relatively new (200 miles?) chain which has only had aforementioned dry lube on it – should I still degrease?

jsync

yes

mikey74
    Free Member

Squirt barely lasted 5 miles for me before my chain sounded like a rusty chainsaw again. I put quite a bit on as well. I’ve gone back to Finish Line Dry. Wet lube is awful stuff and should be avoided, as should Mud-off C3. I’d rather re-apply regularly than use wet lube.

freehighlander
    Free Member

Never Never Never use that DRY SHITE just use oil wet or other wise stop being lazy and clean after every run simples dry ? just as well using sand LOL 🙄

Goldigger
    Free Member

I always you finish line dry lube..
    My 2009 anthem is still on its second chain, cassette.. Bearing in mind I would clean my bike after every wet muddy ride.
    If my bike is covered in trail dust then it would also get a quick wash, chain cleaned and lubed on the bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Ultimate bike solution.
    There is a thread on here

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Just degreased drivetrain, wet lube again or dry lube?’ is closed to new replies.