Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Just come off my bike at the chase.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

And it was a proper OTB moment! I was on the Monkey Trail and there is an unofficial steep rooty muddy DH just before the Upper Cliff climb, it bypasses the fire road descent. Great little section.

Anyway I was going down there and hit a compression while braking and there was a big root just after it. Que a full on superman over the bars and somewhat ungraceful landing chest first on a thick branch. I now have a nice set of bruised ribs and a bruised leg. It bloody hurts. Going to be interesting trying to sleep tonight.

It could have been worse, the branch could have had a little sticky out bit.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is the bike ok ?

crispybacon
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

Oh the ironing 😕

shifter
    Free Member

An ungrateful landing?! Or ungraceful? Disgraceful?? 🙂

seven
    Free Member

don’y think he will be up to doing much ironing tonight. 🙂

heal well OP

I_Ache
    Free Member

First thing I checked for was blood second was the bike, I snapped an O ring on my GPS mount.

My username is very appropriate, I chose it because I do ache pretty much all the time. More than normal tonight.

Shifter I don’t know what your on about. 😉

The red wine is flowing now, hopefully it will help with the pain/sleeping.

Scamper
    Free Member

Is it that crap looking new trail which will have your rear mech off which has opened up after all the recent harvesting, or have the old bits been re-opened?

rOcKeTdOg

if it hurts now, just wait for about 2 days time, i pulled rib muscles 3 weeks ago, still flipping hurts if i sneeze

I_Ache
    Free Member

Scamper that sounds like the one. Went for a look for the old one but it seems to have disappeared after the logging. The new one is good fun if you have some front end grip and the back is sliding all over the place. Well it is if you don’t fall off.

Next time I think I will walk up it first and get rid of a load of the loose logs and sticks.

iain1775
    Free Member

Loved the old pre forestry trail, despite coming off in similar fashion to you there once, bent front wheel and cracked rib..
    Was disappointed to see old trail had seemingly been completely thrashed when I was down there the other week (first time there in about 6 months), has new trail been cut in last couple of weeks then?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Iain its a bit further along than the old one. Just after the big dip that you have to hammer down just to get up the other side.

composite
    Free Member

It’s almost 6 months to the day that I had my last crash at Cannock and broke my arm. Not been back since.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The worst is when you land straight on your head and you ALMOST get knocked out and go woozy. Getting sparked out’s okay…. you don’t feel the acute pain just the throbbing headache after. Getting bannged up by the ground/a tree so that your head feel’s like someones hit a bell over your head Tom and Jerry style is the worst…. after broken limbs lol….

markcurtains
    Free Member

I fell off twice yesterday, my first real falls at speed since I was a kid on my BMX – all my other falls to dat have been comedic slow ones due to loss of uphill momentum. First one was hardest, first lap of my local XC trail, front wheel dug into some loose stuff and I landed on a combo of my left arm and chest. My chest hurts and I’m struggling to get my left arm higer than my shoulder if required. I’ll live though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

there is an unofficial steep rooty muddy DH just before the Upper Cliff climb

I thought this had been flattened during that round of FC thinning about 6 months ago? The one that headed off left just after a marker post, on the fire road heading out from 5-ways. I had an innocuous low-side off, on the upper section of that about 15 months ago and I can still feel it in my left shoulder, which is still noticeably weaker than my right. I’m now officially old.

Did you manage to sleep OK?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

How do you get on mentally? Bruise.. Broken ribs.. Heals in their own time…

Still havent recovered mentally my last OTB down the chase. 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

crispy bacon – Member

I_Ache – Member

Oh the ironing

He gets the maid to do that.

therealhoops
    Free Member

You’re dam right it could have been worse. No riding till Feb for me 🙁

Read all about it.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Hope the ribs are OK today OP, just over a year since I broke mine hitting an overhanging branch and it wasn’t until the next day the agony really started . Painful.

Must have been a day for it yesterday I had a big off myself, got into a tankslapper down a super fast rocky downhill, I thought I’d managed to hold it but next thing I remember was the rocks approaching my face and weirdly “seeing” my dx fakeleys coming apart. I reckon I must have still been holding the bars as I went down and the peak of my crash-helmet and the glasses took the full impact! Crash helmet is split right through in two places at the front and the right lens from the fakeleys (I had gen. oakley clear ones fitted) looks like the ones they have shot at for the adverts 😯 Top marks for the £10 frames though all the bits snapped back together and they’ll fight another day, possibly saved me from serious face/eye injury too.

The Tom and Jerry bell that Bwaarp describes has passed. A few cuts and grazes on my right arm, right shoulder very stiff and a couple of 2mm cuts on the bridge of my nose from the glasses that will look odd to customers I talk to at work. Oh and my right little finger appears to be broken – I cant move it and its a weird purpley, yellowey, bluey colour and the width of a cumberland sausage 😯

teamslug
    Free Member

realhoops…funny blog. hope all goes well.

therealhoops
    Free Member

teamslug – aww thank you, I do try 😮

I_Ache
    Free Member

I thought this had been flattened during that round of FC thinning about 6 months ago? The one that headed off left just after a marker post, on the fire road heading out from 5-ways.

Yea that one had been flattened, if you carry on down the fire trail just after the steep down that goes straight back up there is a new trail that is on the left. Not quite as good as the old one but still good fun. I will try and upload my GPS data to show where it was.

Sleep was better than expected, I kept waking up in pain and on my side but the red wine and ibuprofen helped.

patriotpro – Member
    crispy bacon – Member
    I_Ache – Member

Oh the ironing

He gets the maid to do that.

Very good.

The most annoying thing is that while I feel bruises for some reason they don’t come out very much so I have nothing to show for it, yet. Hopefully I will get a massive purple bruise across my chest so at least my kids think that I’m a hero.

Oh and as for the mental factor, crashing like that doesn’t bother me in the slightest it’s all part of it. I will ride that trail next time I’m up there. Mud tyres would have helped me as the rear tyre was fully clogged up and sliding all over the place.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Do you need an additional permit for falling off at Cannock?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Technically you do but in reality you only need the additional permit if you want rescuing. You need to get yourself to a main road if you don’t have the addition and your in need of a lift to hospital.

iain1775
    Free Member

Chase trails are going to love the exact description and location of unofficial trail posted all over twinterweb 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the location I_Ache…I’ll find it!

Ta,
    R

I_Ache
    Free Member

Its pretty obvious if you ride past it but point taken. If anybody is unsure of where it is mail me and I will send you the link to my GPS download page.

scruff
    Free Member

I dont recommend sending out GPSs of that area. If its still shut they are still working there even if you dont think they are, a biker going through there may come face to face with Killdozer and I know who will win that fight.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Not shut any more scruff. Has been open at least a week now.

scruff
    Free Member

Which bit, the very last bit or the cheek from the top ?

I_Ache
    Free Member

There are no signs in that area saying logging is taking place. There were signs up a couple of months back.

Chase Trails only have one diversion marked up on the blog.

http://chasetrails.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/monkey-trail-diversion-update.html#comment-form

EDIT

In fact I just found the diversion lifted entry.

http://chasetrails.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/monkey-diversion-lifted.html

rocketman
    Free Member

Chase trails are going to love the exact description and location of unofficial trail posted all over twinterweb

With all due respect it would be quite hard to miss it, or for that matter any of the multitude of ‘cheeky’ trails that are in the area. The tyre tracks heading off into the woods tend to give the game away.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Just come off my bike at the chase.’ is closed to new replies.