• This topic has 70 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gk74.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Just checked M&S turkey bought yesterday and 14.12.16 use by!!
  • gk74

Ordered an M&S turkey online weeks ago, collected Friday from store. Other half has just checked cooking time and we have noticed it is use by 14.12.16!! It looks fresh, plump and smells fine, certainly doesn’t look wrotten, is this a mis coding issue or a #badturkey? I’ve tried to contact M&S on social media and no response…. now it might be a pigs in blankets and veg Christmas dinner!!

bearnecessities

*bookmarks*

newrobdob
    Free Member

M and s turkeys didn’t arrive in store until the 15th of December (14th for turkey crowns) so it’s likely to be a coding misprint.

zzrmatt
    Free Member

We collected from M&S on Friday and noticed the date on ours was the 16th when we got home. They swapped it over and refunded in store this morning.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh ohhh! It’s one of those as it’s Christmas shall we risk it scenarios. *also bookmarks*

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Me too I can’t sleep and I have to be awake in 8 hours so I will also *bookmark* this #badturkey saga.

rmacattack
    Free Member

booked

Jamie
    Free Member

Beans on toast it is.

steveirwin
    Free Member

Thing is you just gotta feel for the turkey. Didn’t even get eaten…or did he? *bookmarked*

BigJohn

Seriously, just rely on your nose. If it smells OK, then you can be certain it’s within date.

At this time of year nobody is producing turkeys for consumption in November.

convert

Not good – as an M&S turkey it wouldn’t have been going cheep.

IGMC

gastromonkey
    Free Member

How many people are eating the turkey and how many toilets have you got?

It could be an interesting boxing day in your house.

boxelder

It’ll be fowl…..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get it cooked and gobble it up..

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Have you consideted that m&s are open today? Well our local one is to pick up food..

myti
    Free Member

If it smells ok should be alright but maybe cook it very well. If it’s higher welfare and good quality you are less likely to have nasties living in it.

shermer75
    Free Member

American date format innit. It’ll be fine for two more months 😉

Sandwich

Also watching this thread with interest.

ferrals
    Free Member

Turkey carpaccio?

gk74

Thanks all for comments! I have phoned, tweeted and facebooked M&S, no response yet! Local store is closed today, otherwise I would be down there.

We will be returning the M&S turkey and seeing what response we get! Now working on Christmas Dinner V2 🙁

geetee1972
    Free Member

I fully expect to see this story in The Daily Fail

pondo

Nightmare – good luck…

Rockape63
    Free Member

If it was me I’d cook it. A turkey will stay fresh for 10 days if kept in a fridge. If it smells okay it will be fine. The date thing is an error.

You would definitely know if it was going off.

ferrals
    Free Member

Do you have any kids? Tell them Santa hates them and they are never getting a present again, then kick them in the shins, when they are crying nicely film it and upload to M&S Facebook page showing the result of a turkeyless christmas. Definitely voucher worthy

greentricky
    Free Member

Surely if it was ten days past it’s use by, it would be honkin?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yea a voucher for more out of date food.

gk74

Hi Ferrals….I like the plan….I have two kids, only problem they are still in bed (teenagers and Christmas day!) I also get the rolling eye balls when ever Santa is mentioned…I am starting to question whether they still believe 😉

bearnecessities

Surely if it was ten days past it’s use by, it would be honkin?

You’re thinking of Goose.

fin25
    Free Member

I used to be a butcher. A 10 day out of date Turkey would smell worse than a camels aresehole.

Open it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, if there is no smell then it will be fine to eat.*

*I accept no responsibility for whatever you choose to do.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If it was me I’d cook it. A turkey will stay fresh for 10 days if kept in a fridge. If it smells okay it will be fine. The date thing is an error.

This! Give it a good rinse out with cold water & slam in the oven.

And this!

martinhutch

This! Give it a good rinse out with cold water & slam in the oven.

Err…no. 😀

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/washing-chicken-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do it outside & wear an NBC suit?

wallop

For the love of god why do people wash their chickens!?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Was it frozen when you picked it up?

wrightyson
    Free Member

A mate who works in the food production industry was quoted once saying “you could eat a dog turd if you cooked it for long enough and got it hot enough” ….
    He worked as a manager for a curry company supplying the bagged up stuff for the supermarkets. We always make our own.

scaredypants

Was it frozen when you picked it up?

ours was chilly, to say the least = covered in goosebumps 🙁

ferrals
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    A mate who works in the food production industry was quoted once saying “you could eat a dog turd if you cooked it for long enough and got it hot enough” ….
    He worked as a manager for a curry company supplying the bagged up stuff for the supermarkets. We always make our own.

A friend of mine worked in the fire service, was called to a fire in a curry house, turned out to be arson by a competitor, the owner knew it was a competitor because “the b@£tard sh@t in my stock pot – I bloody well had to throw half of it away!”

zanelad
    Free Member

Thanks all for comments! I have phoned, tweeted and facebooked M&S, no response yet! Local store is closed today, otherwise I would be down there.

Why on earth do you expect a response on Christmas day?

What do you expect them to do? Open a store especially for you?

You did by some beef, pork or whatever as well, didn’t you? Have that.

slowoldman

If it smells OK I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just have a bucket handy in case.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For the love of god why do people wash their chickens!?

No idea. It probably stems from when I had one with a bit of an aroma coming from the cavity, gave it a good rinse & it was fine.

I struggled to keep hold of it though, it was flapping while I was holding it & trying to hose it’s arse out at the same time. 😆

*This is NOT a true story*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Just checked M&S turkey bought yesterday and 14.12.16 use by!!’ is closed to new replies.