Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Just broke the glass in patio door!! How much?
  • Matt_SS_xc

Evening all
    A stone flicked up while mowing the lawn and has shattered the outer pane of my upvc patio door. Any know any rough ideas on price before I phone for quotes in the morning? Just seen a new door on wickes for £160. Are they standard size? Easy DIY job? House is 9 years old of that’s relevant? I did some measurements and it seems to match wickes but didn’t know if they differ a lot by a few mm. Any info anyone has would be great. Only moved in a month ago so could do without this!
    Oh and I’m in okehampton Devon if there are any glazers out there!
    Thanks all

carlos
    Free Member

Measure the glass and allow £60 m2, add say £50 for fitting unless you can diy for a rough cost. Or get a local glaizer to measure it, make it and fit it. A lot less hassle than a new door and cheaper

heckler73
    Free Member

uncanny , did the same job for a client last summer, he did same as yourself, shattered outside panel with strimmer, ok, size was around 800 mm by 1800 high double glazed unit, this cost around 200 and i charged them around 100 if i remember correctly…. was a nightmare getting it out though, all the adhesive……… good luck 😀

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

when we cracked the glass in our patio door we replaced it on the insurance – this might be a possibility..

project
    Free Member

Some of the cheaper doors are now made with the glass as part of the door, no loose beads to get it out of, beware of B and q and wickes doors.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had to purposely break mine after a good night out involving a lost key and a rock! Couldn’t get toughened quick enough 5 days before christmas so had laminated which was dearer. I get good rates to be fair so the above prices seem a bit steep. If its externally beaded it’ll be a pain (pardon the pun) because it’s liable to have security tape that will need removing.

jonba
    Free Member

I once broke a curved shower door in a rented house – I almost cried when I got a quote. Only one supplier, special order I don’t think I got much change out of £300 – It wouldn’t have been much more to buy a whole new shower – curved glass is bad….

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Joiner/glazier here– it will need to be laminated for safety reasons, you could measure the glass yourself, height, width and thickness, order from internet, and fit yourself, the cost should be less than £100, however if you do not feel confident, a decent tradesman, shouldn’t charge more than £60 on top of material cost, its a very straightforward job, even with security tape etc, its what we do for our living!

toby1

For this reason I tend to try and mow with my back to the house as for some reason my mower ‘usually’ fires out the front. I did take a stone to the shin a while back though – christ it hurt!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Just broke the glass in patio door!! How much?’ is closed to new replies.