Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Just bought some Lego!
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

I had that train, it’s in the loft at my parents house (I hope) can’t wait til my kids are old enough to get it played with

eskay

My two kids have got a Mindstorms kit each and we made a pair of Bluetooth controlled Robot Wars style bots – great fun.

Managed to pick up a mass of Lego on ebay a couple of years ago for £30, had to drive to Swindon to pick it up but it must have been £700-800 worth new. Loads of broken up kits (including star wars, Lego City, Indiana Jones etc) all with instructions. Came in one of those 4 drawer units on wheels.

iain1775
    Free Member

Got into the Architecture stuff recently, not the most interesting builds but they do look good when finished and displayed, tend to snap them up on the rare occasion they pop up cheap on ebay
    Have got Empire State Building, Willis Tower, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate, Burj, and Leaning tower of Pisa with White House and Trevi Fountain on their way, have only gone for stuff I’ve actually visited. Have also made my own Statue of Liberty base with a mini figure
    Got Ecto1 pre ordered, that was fun, and have got my 4 year old daughter heavily into it which is happy days, she is building quite a collection of ‘girly lego’ already, still. Massive box from my childhood still in parents loft but they won’t let me extricate it as it’s there “for ALL the grandchildren” 🙁

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My kids (nearly 5 and 1.5) love Lego. House we stayed in this summer had a load of old skool stuff in a box and we spent many hours building stuff. They’ve got a load here too to play with but theres a million different colours these days – as a colour blind-o, it makes it hard for me to build stuff!

I do however have one of these:

And I have a fondness for low VWs like this:

Which means I’m going to have to do some chassis tweaks on my bus to make one of these:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh and I really need a Millenium Falcon. Might ask the wife for one for xmas.

matt_outandabout

Oh and I really need a Millenium Falcon. Might ask the wife for one for xmas.

It does make a rather fine Christmas pressie.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/b25vqR]Exif_JPEG_PICTURE[/url] by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

noteeth
    Free Member

It does make a rather fine Christmas pressie.

He gave you that? Good lad. 😀

matt_outandabout

It was our secret santa scheme – you get one big pressie, instead of a half dozen or more cheapo ones. Each family member only buys one pressie, and only gets one.
    Thats one of my brother in laws in the pic, his turn to buy for me that year. WIN

RustySpanner

I’ve got seven or eight of the Hobbit/LOTR sets set up in my mancave.

I can stop any time I like.
    ANY TIME!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

some of the boxes are a bit ratty, but, in my loft, all complete, waiting for monkfingerjnr to get a bit older…

jamj1974

smokey_jo – Member
    I was in the Lego head office yesterday – lots of scandinavian hipsters smoking roll-ups and table football in the cafe.
    POSTED 15 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m that jealous I hate you 🙂

TheFlyingOx

YES! That was proper Lego, back when each kit didn’t have a thousand pieces that were specific to that particular model. Call me old-fashioned, but if you want to build a model Ferrari buy an Airfix.

Harry_the_Spider

I had the fork lift. Got it when I was 8 years old.

It was the start of a long slippery slide into a career ( 🙄 ) in engineering.

Many years later I met the Educational Director of Lego on a flight to Seoul where I was going to do some work in a paper mill. I told him that it was his fault.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrmonkfinger, that brings back memories! I had both the digger and the forklift many many years ago. The pneumatics were brilliant, if a bit slow.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

My wife made the mistake of buying me an X-Wing last Christmas. Since then I’ve also invested in A Millenium Falcon and the VW Camper Van, though I’m trying hard not to open the boxes until my boy is old enough to help me build them. I’ve also been standing in the local toy shop like an idiot feeling The Simpsons mini figure bags. Addictive stuff.

Mr GF
    Aged 36 3/4.

wiggles
    Free Member

I wanted a lego death star for christmas but was told I was too old for it and it was way to much to spend on lego 🙁

I’m only in my 20’s!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The pneumatics were awesome, if a bit fragile.

It was the car chassis that was the real box of awesome. Having that at Christmas aged 9, that was just the best thing ever. 30 years later I still think its a cracking piece of design work by the Lego elves. Loads of features. And all from “standard” technic range parts.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It was the car chassis that was the real box of awesome.

I had that too 🙂 The rack and pinion steering, the gearbox, the differential, the pistons, all brilliant!

Btw, anyone know if you can download instructions for the car chassis (and other old kits) from anywhere?

Edit… I should have just googled it 🙂

Awesome…

spacemonkey

Back in the early 80s I had one of the cars that I’m sure had some kind of (wired?) remote control. Something like this:

EDIT: just noticed this is the same as above. Can anyone confirm if this did indeed ship with a controller? I remember getting the right hump on Xmas Day when my brother (who built most of it) kept playing with it and I thought the battery was going to die!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Nah, it didn’t ship with motors / controller but it did have instructions for adding a motor to the steering and one engine. I only had one lego motor so I had to keep reaching down and turning the steering wheel by hand.

It was completely awesome

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Im waiting till i finish my office at home so i can deck it out with my lost childhood! Ive been cruising ebay for months seeing the prices of classic Lego Space stuff, the prices people are paying for NOS lego is astonishing!

As long as i get an LL918 in the collection i’ll be happy

stewbaccason

Misses has just bought me this:

It is honestly awesome!! So much fun making it. Got 4 bags still to open!! 😀

spacemonkey

As long as i get an LL918 in the collection i’ll be happy

That was the first spaceship I had 🙂 My mum bought it for me in Woolworths – I still remember picking it from the shelf!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

what was the OP’s purchase, i cant see it??

skinnyboy
    Free Member

That was the first spaceship I had My mum bought it for me in Woolworths – I still remember picking it from the shelf!

I remember my first ever Lego ship, my mum bought me from Littlewoods, and that was that I was hooked!

From 1978, I collected most of the space lego from each year up until about 1988, then like an idiot i swapped for a shitty electric guitar. my only regret.

Never mind, I’m going to reclaim that lost youth soon

jools182
    Free Member

Skinnyboy

I used to have that LL918

I still don’t know what happened to all my lego 🙁

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Its criminal isn’t it, if only we had the foresight to be OCD weirdoes back then instead of playing with it, we’d be millionaires Rodney!

I loved Lego, still do, but I am not a fan of the new stuff at all, 5 pieces in a box all specific to that model/series.

I look back wistfully at my collection in my memory and it was awesome, i could play for hours on end doing different setups and baseplate configs, to get that perfect diorama shot in mind, only for my little brother to sneak in a Townsperson or a horse from his lego collection haha.

I pity people who didn’t play with Lego as kids, I feel it gave me my great spatial awareness and problem solving skills that i have now. I can still in my mind build every single one of my old collection without the instructions.

Northwind

Old lego space is the business, proper golden age stuff that. I was just on the edge of that, and the more modern kits with the visors on the helmets and the monorails and things, which were “better” but lost the charm. Old stuff always inevitably felt like bootstrap space colonist red mars kind of thing where newer stuff was a bit too flash and developed.

Still, I loved this one, we ended up designing loads of our own connectable versions, I had the wheels off that teknic car attached to a massive sort of trailer thing that could clip onto the back of the spaceship and become a sort of EPIC MONSTER SPACETRUKK.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Blacktron and Futuron was probably the last years I bought Lego. Great sets mind you. I had the Blacktron Strider/Alienator walker thing and that was just a damn cool vehicle! I always wanted the monorail but it was 100 quid back then and that was a bit much for a paper boy’s meagre income.

molgrips
    Free Member

I feel it gave me my great spatial awareness and problem solving skills that i have now.

I suspect that the reason you liked Lego was because you already had the spatial awareness and problem solving skills…

I loved Lego, still do, but I am not a fan of the new stuff at all, 5 pieces in a box all specific to that model/series.

It’s really not like that, have you bought any recently?

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Aye fella you are probably right, I think thats why i love building bikes now, and get as much joy building them as I do riding them. I rebuild cars for a job and i’d like to think that my lego days as a kid honed my visual and “end result” thinking, much needed when given a Porsche 911 in bits and expected to put it back on the road 100% correct without instructions.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

one of what ffs

beej

Lego Technic Mobile Crane version II.

Steelsreal

I had the technic chassis and the motor kit. You could either make the steering work really fast or replace the crank and pistonst and make it drive except ot wouldn’t move as the diff would just spin!

My favourit kit was this

remember my mum breaking i whilst dusting and me not being best pleased…

sv

£130 for that 373 set on eBay…

ourmaninthenorth

My first two sets were that 885 and LL918. Both bought by my mum and IIRC built together with her. She’s always been cool like that.

I’m fighting hard, but it’s my birthday soon and rather than refuse to be bought anything, I think I might get Mrs and Miss North to buy me something (which I can build with Miss North).

cloudnine
    Free Member

]

lemonysam
    Free Member

My sister was taken to hospital when she was little after eating lego… now a genius has come up with this:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/14585361/CHOCOLATE-LEGOACGUY

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m definitely treating myself to this set when it comes out –

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Tumbler-76023

I was massively impressed with the ghostbusters Ecto1 set, but this one looks brilliant.

woody21
    Free Member

How about this

http://brickartist.com/

He is in London later this month

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Just bought some Lego!’ is closed to new replies.