Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • just bought a van! inspire me for interior fit out!
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

so we succumbed and just bought a 1996 T4 for camping/biking/kitesurfing/surfing duties. I’ve changed jobs recently and had to give back my T5, but am actually more excited about this one as I can do what I want to it.

So, ideas please for internals – I’m looking to fit two bike, be able to sleep in it, and have permanent surf/kitesurf kit storage in there….

heres the picture at the moment…..

Finally, I’ve heard it’s always good to get the cam belt changed when you get a second hand VW – is this true/how much does it cost?

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh – I think I’ll keep an eye on this thread. I should have my van (SWB Trafic) in a couple of weeks and this might give me some more inspiration.

So far, I’ve decided to replace the twin front seat with a single, put both front seats on rotating bases, fit tracked seats in the back (a single and a double I reckon), remove the existing ply and put rockwool behind it. Thinking about a vent too.

crazy-legs

I quite liked this:

So tacky it’s cool.
    😉

Just looking at vans myself; driving around in a Vivaro at the moment having written my car off, I’d love a van conversion.

steveh

Getting the cambelt changed on any second hand vehicle is a good idea if you don’t know when it was last done, no more or less reason to do it on a vw. Depending on which engine you have it might need the water pump changing as well at the same time (known for bearings to fail and lock the shaft which throws the cambelt off), budget around 300-350 at a local independent.

alfabus
    Free Member
    geoffj

Think about power sockets and lights early on so that you can put the cables in with the insulation / lining etc.
    Also think about a leisure battery / inverter / split charge relay.
    Sounds in the back? I got some truck speakers and a cheap amp off eBay to plug the iPod into.
    Mesh panels from demontweeks for storing stuff and cheap cord frpm carpet shops is good for the lining.

falkirk-mark
    yunki
    Free Member

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

brilliant!

thanks for the tips chaps. looking forward to some van DIY

mtbfix

Do a search on the forum. There have been a few similar posts over the past few months with some sweet conversions on display.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘just bought a van! inspire me for interior fit out!’ is closed to new replies.