Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Just bought a new Tamiya RC car and need help !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

Was in Reading today and noticed the model shop was closing down/liquidation sale so after a bit of umming and ahhing I bought this (for the kids honest!!)

Ive always wanted one ever since my mate let me have a go with his Hornet model years ago !!

On the side of the box it says I need some things !!…..

There is a ESC in the box so I dont need that but Im not exactly sure about the other stuff?

What do I need ?

Where can I get said stuff as cheap as possible ?

Thanks

Steve

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t know if they are the cheapest but these guys have lots of bits and bobs.

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/index.php

Bought Scalextric stuff off them in the past. Going to but a Tamiya Grasshopper and all the bits soon.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You need 2 channel RC gear. Throw the esc away and get an electronic speed controller.

Also 7,2v battery and charger.

Cheap as anything from ebay etc.

Have fun

martymac

ive used gold star stockists many times, very helpful and they know their stuff.
    they are AKA time tunnel models, with a physical shop in stevenage town centre.

renton
    Free Member

I take it that is doesnt have to be Tamiya stuff I use?

richmars

No, any 2 channel will be fine. Just check the servo fits (only need one as the electronic speed control doesn’t need one – another reason to throw away the supplied esc.)

monogramman
    Free Member

Why throw away the supplied esc it is electric. It’s not a mechanical one so doesn’t need a servo

northernmatt

I was in another branch on aforementioned closing down model shop. I got told in no uncertain terms that if I bought one of those I would not have been having any more children.

Bargain for £100 though.

renton
    Free Member

I got a tenner off as well so felt better @ £90 quid !!

robdob
    Free Member

I was in another branch on aforementioned closing down model shop. I got told in no uncertain terms that if I bought one of those I would not have been having any more children.
    Bargain for £100 though.

So you wouldn’t have to have any more annoying expensive children AND you get a sweet RC car?

That sounds like deal of the century!

stumpy01

What does the ‘esc’ look like? If it’s a rotating part with some copper contracts, then it’s a mechanical speed controller and requires a servo.
    If it’s just an electronics box, then you might as well keep it and use it, as it is a proper Electronic Speed Controller.

Aside from that you’ll need a 2 channel controller, which might come with a couple of servos or might not. You’ll need a servo for the steering, a couple of batteries and a charger. Plus batteries for the transmitter.

renton
    Free Member

It’s got lots of wires coming out of it so I’m guessing it’s an electric one! Will see how it fits!

clubber
    Free Member

It’ll be a mechanical one using a resistor to limit speed. It’ll work fine but an electronic one will usually make the battery last longer but obviously cost more. If suggest you stick with the mechanical one for now.

You need :

2 channel rc transmitter, receiver and two servos. These will usually come as a package.

Battery. Iirc 7.2v stick pack

Charger

That’s it!

Lunchboxes are great fun.

renton
    Free Member

Just looked at it again and it says ‘TUE – 104BK TAMIYA ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROLLER’

is that any good?

clubber
    Free Member

Ooh! Things have moved on. If it’s this then it’s an electronic one and you only need one servo

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=45041

renton
    Free Member

That’s exactly it clubber!!

clubber
    Free Member

My son’s five. I’m wondering when I can get one “for him” 😉

Mind you my mum and dad have just recently found these in their attic so I may have to get them running again…

pictonroad

Just don’t try and show your little boy how it can go up the compost heap really slowly, the esc will overheat and your lunch box will go up in flames.

Like mine.

toppers3933
    Free Member

There’s a decent model shop in crowthorne near the station called apex models. They have a good web store too. Worth a look.

http://Www.apexmodels.co.uk

smartmonkey
    Free Member

Renton,
    Where was it from, I’m in Reading and could do with a new one of those.
    I’ve got all the fancy bits to make it work if you need advice.
    Last set of Radio I bought was £30 with a servo (which is the bit you need for steering)
    Batteries are not hugely expensive.
    I’ve probably got an old battery and slow charger that you can borrow to get you going, but it’s old with not much capacity.
    SmartMonkey

clubber
    Free Member

Picton road, sorry but that really made me lol

pjm84
    Free Member

I have one gathering dust in my garage. At least yours is battery. I went with a petrol one, two speed gearbox. Run great and then blows up. I think I used it 3x and it must have cost me the best part of £800.

beefheart
    Free Member

I just bought one of these, “for the boy…” 🙂

I’m so excited.

renton
    Free Member

Smartmonkey it was the model zone shop in the shopping centre that has argos and wilkinsons etc in

clubber
    Free Member

Beefy – is that nitro?

househusband

Throw the esc away and get an electronic speed controller.

The Tamiya TEU101BK is an electronic ESC and will work well… 🙄

beefheart
    Free Member

No, it’s electric but brushless ready.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The Lunchbox comes with an electronic speed controller so you only actually need one servo for the steering. Look for a 2.4ghz radio and receiver which you can get for around £30, servos are £6 for cheapies, go with NiMh batteries as they are less temperamental than LiPo’s and don’t burst into flames if you look at them wrong.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk will sell you all the bits you need, here is a radio well worth looking at:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-cr2s-v2-2-channel-2.4ghzradio-control-system/rc-car-products/376271

clubber
    Free Member

What does brushless ready mean? I understand the concept of a brushless motor but what’s the difference in the car?

Would a brushless motor fit in my cougar 2000 above (with a new esc of course)

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They are far more powerful than brushed motors but probably too much for a lunchbox, you’d also need to check that the ESC works with a brushless motor (not all do).

tc3nitro
    Free Member

http://www.rccarshop.co.uk

Ring these guys and they will sort you out

renton
    Free Member

Built………………

Just got to paint it and sticker it up once we have decided on the colour !!

Also got to sort the tracking out to !

Its a bit quick mind!

demonracer

Looking good, I have a midnight pumpkin sitting here waiting to be built up which uses the same chassis.

renton
    Free Member

one thing I have found is that when I turn the steering one way its fine but the otherway it hits the suspension leg on full lock ??

Normal or shonky building??

wwaswas

I suspect you need to adjust the track rod ends to even out the lock.

demonracer

Does the radio you bought have end point adjustments for each channel? If so then you should
    Be able to adjust these to remove the problem.

rOcKeTdOg

this track is just down the road from me, speed of some of the petrol cars is amazing, as is the cornering
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuA0OhAGtY[/video]

demonracer

Oh … Just read the bit about the tracking being
    Out, adjusting the rod ends should sort you out if that’s the case 🙂

trevron73
    Free Member

My first rc was a Vannessa’s lunch box too ,they are awesome .If you put the battery in the low normal part in middle of chassis its in jump mode .Put it in the tray high up at the rear and its wheeli mode yyeee hawwww?

I wants me one of these – 2 speed so crawls too. £600 though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a new Tamiya RC car and need help !!’ is closed to new replies.