Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Just bought a new bike from Evans, got no bits ie. Bleed kit, tubeless valves
  • ticsmon

Bought a mondraker foxy xr from Evans, first new bike I’ve ever bought. Should I have got tubeless valves for the wheels (was told on the phone that the wheels come set up tubeless but came with tubes in). Also Thought I’d have got some bits for the breaks and reverb but nothing.

legend
    Free Member

Don’t know of any bike that comes setup for tubeless (the sealant would dry up long before it got near the shop). Also wouldn’t expect any service kit to come with it. All I’d expect is a fairly worthless bike manual, and some slightly more useful suspension manuals

rOcKeTdOg

It’s a bit of maverick thinking, but why not ask Evans?
    what things for the brakes & post were you expecting though?

bigjim

All I’d expect is some reflectors and a generic manual explaining how to do up quick releases that aren’t even on the bike in 12 languages.

Jason
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect any of those things to be supplied with a new bike, although I would be pleasantly surprised if they did. The last couple of new bikes I have bought came with tubeless valves (one had the wrong type for the rims!) and one came with a shock pump – although it was a high pressure shock pump which is fairly unusual.

Also I bought a bike from Evans a few years ago and I don’t think it came with valves. I popped into another branch to buy some and they gave me a couple from the workshop FOC, which I thought was pretty good of them.

daver27
    Free Member

You never get a bleed kit with an OE Reverb, ever.
    Sometimes you get the valves, IF its with a factory wheelset, if its a wheelset that the manufacturer builds up from separate parts, I.e. mavic ust rim, no name hub, you won’t get valves.

akira

The wheels will be tubeless ready but as people have said very few new bikes comes actually tubeless, I think Bird do but they’re a bit more bespoke.

ticsmon

Wasn’t really expecting a bleed kit. Never bought a new bike before but thought I’d of got tubeless valves. The wheels aren’t tubeless ready if you have to pay extra for valves are they. Didn’t even get the useless manual.

tomhoward

Both my Santa Cruz full builds came with all the various bits you get buying aftermarket. Admittedly one was a custom build so would have, but the other was off the shelf. Both came tubeless too.

breadcrumb

The wheels aren’t tubeless ready if you have to pay extra for valves are they.

They’re more tubeless ready than regular rims. You could say the same because you got no sealant.

A pair of valves is about £6 from Superstar.

jimw
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that both of my friends’ YT Capra’s came with a bleed kit for the Reverb stealth they came with., but not the enduro collar

wrecker
    Free Member

My Reign came with rim tape and valves in the box. The DT Swiss wheels were not set up tubeless but already had the tape on. No Stealth or brake bleed kit though.

felltop

My Canyon Spectral came with tubeless valves, and a bleed kit for the Reverb.

rickon
    Free Member

My Specialized Enduro came with tubeless tape on, and the valves in the box.

You wouldn’t expect a bleed kit, as the brakes and reverb will have been setup by the shop, so why would you need to bleed them?

If the shop, or manufacturer didn’t set them up, then I’d expect a kit.

It all depends on what manufacturer you’ve bought from, rather than the shop. As it’ll be up to them what they supply in the box, not the shop.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My Cannondale came with valves and sealant but it was a pleasant surprise because I wasn’t expecting it. I’m happy just to get a free pedal spanner!

iolo
    Free Member

I bought a car from a dealer. I was quite surprised there was no bleed kit supplied for the brakes.

chakaping
    Free Member

was told on the phone that the wheels come set up tubeless but came with tubes in

Point this out and ask them to supply a tubeless kit?

ricky1
    Free Member

Got a free squirty bottle of muc off with my new bike,didn’t really expect any other bits,can’t imagine them handing out,reverb bleed kits,brake bleed kits,tubeless valves…..or even a book so you can navigate your way around all the gimmicks either.

ricky1
    Free Member

However,I rode my bike as much as I could and used all the gimmicks to their limits,thus pointing out the bleeding and what not on the 6 week service……….they did offer you a 6 week service didn’t they?

deadkenny
    Free Member

A lot of shop bikes will be full of oem kit that doesn’t come with end user bits like bleed kits. If built in the shop stuff gets lost or boxes chucked away with the bits in.

A place like Evans, unlikely it’ll be set up tubeless. Seen that where someone was told it was tubeless but that’s just because it says tubeless on the rim, but sure enough a tube inside. A custom build by a local independent may be another matter, although you probably still have to ask it’s set up tubeless as it’s extra faff for them.

Ps if it’s got a Fox shock on it, ask for the shock pump that it came with. Likely they haven’t got it, or again oem and didn’t have one, but really you are entitled to one.

eshershore
    Free Member

all the Giant FS mountain bikes we sell come with tubeless valves, tubeless tape and all the manuals for the bike plus suspension, plus any additional cable guide spares (if the bike is setup 1 x 11 it will have guides for 2 x 11, etc.)

we tend to bag all these items and then seal the bag along with the bike frame number / stock number so its specific to each bike we sell.

when I worked for Evans, there wasn’t any mechanism to store these items, so they were often lost, as bikes would be moved between multiple stores before being sold. the manual would often be given from a huge pile in the corner of the workshop, if we could find a manual for that specific bike brand!

benpinnick

Things you should/might expect based on what comes with OE stuff as standard.

Pikes/Lyriks/Yaris – 2 tokens, sticker, Manual*
    Other RS forks – sticker, Manual*
    RS Shocks – sticker, Manual*
    CC shocks – Vol spacers and tuning guide
    DT/SRAM/Mavic/High end Shimano/Easton wheels – valves & manuals
    Brakes should alwasy be supplied with pad spacers

* A leaflet that says go to the website

deadkenny
    Free Member

benpinnick – Member
    Brakes should alwasy be supplied with pad spacers

Should yes, but don’t think I’ve ever had them except when I’ve bought a bleed kit, whether brakes were on the bike or separate ones I’ve bought.

esher shore – Member
    the manual would often be given from a huge pile in the corner of the workshop, if we could find a manual for that specific bike brand!

Had that with a bike from Halfords (yes, I know. It was a GT though 😉 ). Think the manual was for an Apollo or something equally shite 😆

benpinnick

@deadkenny – I mean the thinner ones that fit between the pads. Not bleed blocks… although OE shimano brakes do actually come with bleed blocks too

Also

Reverb – Sticker & Manual

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the ones. The blocks in the kits I’ve got have double end though that act as spreaders on the thin ends, but yeah they’re not the spreaders that it should come with.

Stickers though – got piles of them. They just come with everything, and then the shop chucks in a load of their own on top.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect any of those things to be supplied with a new bike, although I would be pleasantly surprised if they did.

Depends on the brand.
    Whyte, for instance, generally come with tubeless valves, some nice cable rub patches, reverb bleed kit and tokens for Rockshox forks if they’re needed.
    Treks come with valves if needed and a Bontrager 4mm torque tool on the more expensive ones, and possibly some other bits like Blendr mounts if the stem is compatible with that system. The wheels on my Stache already had rim strips fitted too. I just had to add sealant and inflate. Ones with higher end Bontrager wheels come with matching rimstrips. (Mine are Sun Ringle)

Cougar

Regardless of what should or shouldn’t be supplied, under the Consumer Rights Act (successor to SoGA) goods should be “as described” and that includes verbal descriptions. If you were told on the phone that the bike will be a certain way, and it turns out not to be, then (assuming you haven’t misunderstood) they’re legally bound to put it right.

If a tubeless kit is like £6 I can’t see any reason why they’d quibble it for a bit of good PR other than, y’know, it’s Evans.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

The DT Swiss spline wheelset does come with the DT valves from Silverfish, Evans should have them somewhere in their myriad of parts.

Saccades
    Free Member

I didn’t even get a reflector with my new bike (PX), they even quoted the part of the law telling them that they should have to me as a defence.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure how the law works with reflectors as thought they are supposed to be supplied fitted from a shop bought bike, unless it’s a kit. Evans and Halfords seem to usually fit them, but many independent shops wouldn’t dare when handing over a £2k+ off road rig to a customer. Not sure if there’s an exception or it’s just they don’t bother as no one would ever check anyway. If challenged they can just hand over some.

You can rip off the reflectors anyway, though I think officially you’re supposed to have reflectors on pedals.

Saccades
    Free Member

Pedal Bicycles Safety Regulations (PBSR)

Every new bicycle has to come with:

Any hand-operated brakes arranged left-hand rear, right-hand front
    A bell
    White or yellow reflectors on both sides of each wheel or tyre
    A white wide-angle front reflector, or a front lamp
    A red wide-angle rear reflector
    Yellow reflectors front and rear on each pedal

Exceptions are:

Tiny kids bikes, unicycles, tricycles and recumbents.

There’s also an exemption for bikes that are made to the design and for the use of an individual customer, but only if that customer intends to use the bike in competitive events.

Since the 2010 revision, the expression “bicycle” now includes a substantially complete vehicle (whether or not assembled) even if one or more parts are omitted. This closed the loophole by which retailers used to dodge this regulation by not including pedals.

So although the PX bike was custom (I chose the bits from their selection) and had no pedals, I’ve no plans to use the bike in an event, it’s for commuting and it’s heavily advertised/pushed as a commuter.

So by law I should have been supplied with reflectors. PX could get around it by asking in the build if you will be using the bike for competitive events (as I’ve told them) but they don’t.

I’m in two minds about pushing it further tbh

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The DT Swiss spline wheelset does come with the DT valves from Silverfish, Evans should have them somewhere in their myriad of parts.

That can be a bit tricky . For example if you buy a set of Bontrager MTB wheels they will come with Bontys own rim strips and valves . If you buy a bike with those wheels fitted you don’t get anything .

leftyboy
    Free Member

My LBS converted my wheels to tubeless for no additional cost and as it’s a Whyte it came with a bleed kit for both the Pikes and the Reverb. By mistake the LBS included 2 extra tubeless valves which next time I popped in offered to return but they said keep them.

Was reasonably impressed because although I’ve bought a lot of smallish stuff from them over the last 5 years this was my first bike purchase from them. Have always chatted when they had time to and taken biscuits in when they’ve rushed a wheel or drivetrain fix through the workshop so have built a relationship with them.

Had a coffee and a chat when I picked the bike up and heard first hand a guy trying out some Exposure lights after which he asked for a 20% discount before finally saying he’d get them online!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a new bike from Evans, got no bits ie. Bleed kit, tubeless valves’ is closed to new replies.