Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Just bought a brand new Tech M4 brake, but there's so much lever pull?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Like I can pull the lever halfway and nothing will happen and I have to pull it almost touching the bars to get it to work, and it does, but it’s like all or nothing? Is this normal or is there something wrong with the brake?

Would really appreciate some guidance from some knowledgable folks! I got it from my LBS today (for £100!!) but they’re closed tomorrow!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like it just needs a bleed.

And before jo bloggs says a new brake shouldnt need a bleed. I never had a single brake go through the workshop that didnt benifit from a bleed.

It showed when my return rate for brake issues on new bikes was much lower than the other mechs in the shop,

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better about it! I’ll take it down there on Monday! (:

scotroutes

Do you have pads in? 😆

bruneep

have you adjusted the reach/bite points?

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they said you might get away with just tying the brake lever to the bar overnight and then seeing it has firmed up then

If it was new though i would want them to sort it

woodster

How long is it since Hope have sold the M4? Probably be fine after a bleed though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup needs a bleed or possibly very old pads ? You might try tapping the hose from brake to lever and standing bike on its tail if its rear brake. Will encourage any air towards lever resevoir and I have found that helps.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will encourage any air towards lever resevoir and I have found that helps.

Nothing more than a short term bodge and confirmation it needs a proper bleed.

garage-dweller

Nothing more than a short term bodge and confirmation it needs a proper bleed.

True and don’t turn your bike upside down after otherwise it’ll all get back in the hose and calliper quick enough. 😳

crofts2007
    Free Member

Have you properly centralised the pads and reduced the clearance to the rotor, easy to do, see the video.
    This usually reduces the lever travel.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all, will take it down on monday and see what they say. It seems centralised but l’ll have a look, thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a brand new Tech M4 brake, but there's so much lever pull?’ is closed to new replies.