Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • just bought a bike from classifieds and ………
  • renton
    Free Member

Im not happy.

just bought a bike which was described as being in as new condition and only been ridden 6 times!!

ive got it home to find it needs new pads front and rear as the ones fitted are down to the backing plate .

it also had frame patches on the forks to stop cable rub , ive took them off as they were a bit tatty and was going to replace them and there are great big **** off gouges out of the fork crown where the cables have been rubbing!!

argh !!! im mad.

should i just chalk it up to experience??

wwaswas

take it back and ask for a refund.

you have the law on your side and why should you put up with fraud just 'cos it's through the classifieds?

renton
    Free Member

i met the lad at the mway services so i guess its sold as seen??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

you had a chance to decline the deal, you didnt, get over it

wwaswas

if it's sold 'as new' and it's not then you should be able to get your money back.

I wouldn't have peeled frame tape off to inspect for damage.

the pads could have worn away to nothing in 6 rides, I guess, but the seller should have been upfront about the crown damage.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You can easily wear the pads down in one ride ditto the cable rub can appear very quickly, it certainly did on my Stumpy.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

what Rockhopper said. Sorry, if you want a new bike, buy a new bike. wear like that can happen after one muddy ride.

boxelder

It looks in very good nick on his pics. You can some scratching of the fork brace. Contact him and ask for a goodwill reduction – did you pay asking price?

the_prophet
    Free Member

i'd be tempted to say that as you saw it in person before handing over the cash and doing the deal, its down to you. you had the chance to check the pads etc when you first saw it, if you didnt then thats your fault imo. if you look at it from the sellers point of view, then you could of done anything to it since it left his possession. could have just changed your mind for all he knows.

if you had received it through the post then i'd be a lot more on yourside but unfortunatley, you bought something pretty much sold as seen, and its down to you to pick these things up.

Me
    Free Member

Ok I'm not a stalker, just bored of revising, but:

OMC – Member

I have an 09 enduro and think it's a very good all rounder. I've done all day XC rides, endurance races, loads of trail centres and DH at Cwm Carn.

from here

Probs not just been ridden 6 times then…! BUSTED!

renton
    Free Member

all sorted now thanks!!

ive just had a reply from the chap i bought it from offering to refund me some cash which is cool.

cheers

steve

the_prophet
    Free Member

good result and very generous of the chap you bought it from

Kato

AH shame, I thought there was going to be another lynching

br
    Free Member

Either way, you had a chance of declining when you saw the bike.

You didn't.

And its a mountain bike, and 6 rides could easily be a couple of hundred miles in filth/rock, and as the recent Gorrick Enduro showed – 1 lap (10m) twatted practically everyones brake pads.

kaesae
    Free Member

renton

Always check what you buy mate including taking the rear shock off and going over the frame inch buy inch. Same rule applies for a whole bike.

Most used frames or whole bikes need a lot of work, blown shocks, ruined bearings, bent mech hangers, brakes that need new pads or rotors, forks that need serviced. Ask the person when the bikes or parts where last serviced and then varify what they say when you see the bike.

I think you would be better of buying a frame from ebay, that way you have time to check it out.

Sorry to hear about your new ride, I get a lot of hassle with the frames I sell so I tend to take the side of the buyer. If the frame is described as like new, I would expect it to be with very little ware and everything working.

You should chalk it up to experience and simply learn from it and get some new pads to stop further cable rub and cover the existing rub up.

Ridefree!

bobbyspangles

bellend.

hamishthecat

How are the bearings on it? 😉

Dancake
    Free Member

I recently stripped my Meta to change frames and was shocked by its condition after that in 6 months light winter use. (1 trail centre plus a handful of local rides)

Headset, BB both goosed, cable rub agogo, (and cracks of course)

Unless you strip your bike after every ride, all sh bikes will be this IMO.

_tom_
    Free Member

Good to hear its been resolved by the seller 🙂 I've been disappointed a few times when buying s/h but never had a resolution as I didn't care enough to take it up with the seller – comes with the territory imo. Sometimes you get a bargain, other times maybe it needs a bit more work.

If you need a cheap/quick fix, Superstar brake pads are great for the money.

Edric64
    Free Member

I would meet in the sellers house not at mway services it could be nicked

OMC
    Free Member

Hi Renton

I thought this might pop up on here. So although we have since been in contact I feel I have to reply.

I hope you are now happy with your purchase and that the cosmetic issues and break pad problem is now sorted with my offer. It was never described as 'As New' I said 'Top Condition' which I guess is open to personal interpretation. However Im sure you will agree it is in excellent condition.

As for the 6 rides (I really have only ridden it 6 times and in a message to Renton I have detailed these) Top marks to ME though for his detective work. I have to hold my hands up and say that that was an enthusiastic new owner wanting to tell people how great I thought my bike was and that anyone who wanted one should get one, bragging I guess. I feel foolish and childish for this and I apologise. While I had planned to race and do DH on it, it spent most of its life in the shed while I dreamed of doing those things.

I am sorry that acquiring your new bike hasn't quite been the experience you (or I) would have liked but I hope it is now sorted and that you are happy and looking forward to enjoying it.

OMC

renton
    Free Member

Hey everyone like i said this has been sorted out now.

i guess i was just a bit disappointed as i sold my immaculate 2010 pitch this morning which had only been ridden 3 times so really was as new.

I thought having only been ridden 6 times that the enduro would be in a similar condition.

When i seen the marks on the crown it got me thinking that there was no way that it could of only been ridden 6 times but as a lot of you have said you can get that sort of wear after 1 ride.

anyway ive just been out for a quick blast and it all feels nice and tight still and very fast!! so mechanically its good!!

so my apologies to matt(omc) for not letting him get back to me before i posted on here!!

cheers

steve

firestarter
    Free Member

edric if i were a seller id prefer to meet away from home that way potential buyer doesnt know where i live and then come back and rob the bike later after he decided he didnt want to buy.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

glad u sorted it all, definitely a top price for the bike so you got a deal there. If i could sell my pitch and get that instead i definitely would, although the pitch is a very nice bike at a fraction of the price

Edric64
    Free Member

I can see that point as well, bit of a problem on the trust point both ways really

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘just bought a bike from classifieds and ………’ is closed to new replies.