Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Just bought a 650+ bike , ideal tyre pressures ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Only ever rode 26ers, but just bought a plus bike running wtb 3.0 and 2.8 tyres, what ball park figures do people run on there plus bikes ?
    20 psi or less ?

scotroutes

Very much personal preference but I’m in the 16-18psi area

BearBack
    Free Member

1 bar for me on a scale plus hard tail with 2.8 schwalbe nobby/Ralph combo
    Took a long time to figure out pressures though.

wrecker
    Free Member

1 bar

14.5psi from memory. I need to ride one of these new things. I can’t imagine riding with such low pressures, I am intrigued.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I rekon on the front start with 1psi for every stone of your body weight. Run the rear a couple of psi higher.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Didnt do it on purpose, but have mine the same as @davewalsh

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

davewalsh – Member
    I rekon on the front start with 1psi for every stone of your body weight. Run the rear a couple of psi higher.

Wow, so ~14/16 PSI? That’s fatbike 26×4 sort of territory, I expected 3″ tyres to be at least 20.

whitestone
    Free Member

Yesterday I was running 15/17 (I’m 13.5 stone) and it felt a little too firm. Previously I’d been running 12/15 and whereas the front was fine the rear was a little on the squirmy side so for me 12/16 is probably about right. Does depend on the tyres though and at these sort of pressures even a change of 1PSI is pretty significant.

metalheart
    Free Member

Running 20R/18F on 2.8″ and I’m (embarrassingly) circa 17 stone at present.

rOcKeTdOg

Wow, so ~14/16 PSI? That’s fatbike 26×4 sort of territory, I expected 3″ tyres to be at least 20.

16psi in a fat bike tyre??! Is it like riding a space hopper? I run 9f/12R on trails & drop it further for beaches

lazybike
    Free Member

Old school tyre gauge…press with thumbs…not too soft…not too hard 🙂

nixie

12 front and rear for my last ride though the back is leaking so ended up at 10. Back was starting to get a bit squirmy. 81kg rider

jam-bo

I need a pressure gauge. I’ve just been going for the add some air if it feels to squirmy, let
    Some out if it’s too bouncy.

Doesn’t help I don’t think I have enough sealant in so still bleeding a bit of air.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    16psi in a fat bike tyre??! Is it like riding a space hopper? I run 9f/12R on trails & drop it further for beaches

I suspect you weigh significantly less than ~13.5 stone or ~86Kg. 😉

But in fairness, I was using ~14/16 on those awful oem Mission Commands, yet to go off-road in the JJs due to having a rather pants summer from the health prospective. On the road, I was using ~28/30 with the JJs, they flew! 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

12.5 psi front, 13.5 rear for me. Hardtail. I think I’m about 12 stone.

nimo
    Free Member

I have panaracer fat b nimbles set up tubeless on my Tarn and find 12 front and 13 rear perfect for me at nearly 80 kgs. in my opinion a digital tyre gauge is essential as 10 or 15 psi is way out but you would struggle to measure that with a thumb……

Goldigger
    Free Member

Halfords have some great info on tyre pressures 😀

1. Work out the right tyre pressure for your bike

This depends on where and how you’re riding, as well as your weight. We’ve given some general guidelines below, but each tyre should have recommended pressures stamped on the sidewall. Also remember if you’re going really high that your rims will have a maximum recommended pressure too.

rear mountain bike tyres should be at 45 pounds per square inch (PSI).
    front mountain bike tyres should be at 35 PSI.
    😯
    road bike tyres vary a lot and could need as much as 130 PSI, but 100-110 is not unusual for 23mm tyres. Ask one of our experts in your local Halfords for some advice on the best pressure for your bike.

honourablegeorge

I put six tyre anchovies in my rear Nobby Nic yesterday. I think 22 is my safe minimum, there’s a couple of drops with rocky landing on the local trail that tend to puncture me if I go below 20

muggomagic

If I’m riding the usual rooty singletrack I set up the Purgatory front tyre at 10psi and the ground control rear at 12psi. If it’s a more XC ride I’ll go 12 front and 15 rear

rOcKeTdOg

I suspect you weigh significantly less than ~13.5 stone or ~86Kg.
    But in fairness, I

Currently 13st12lbs, I need to lose 13lbs ideally. It is quite rooty around here hence the low pressures

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Just bought a 650+ bike , ideal tyre pressures ?’ is closed to new replies.