Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • just been refused entry to my local tescos……..
  • Stoner
    Free Member

not wall to wall. Persian rugs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I never notice the floor as they have a boy to carry me around…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Berm Bandit hits (toe)nail on head.

just been refused entry to my local tescos……..

1) consider it a badge of honour annd evidence of how ‘cool’ and non-formist you are. Wild-eye radical thing.

2) So what?

toby1

What pedals for shoelessness?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What pedals for shoelessness?

DMR V8

toppers3933
    Free Member

I got so pi55ed off with people moaning about me not wearing shoes I now wear vibram five fingers. People still get mardy about them. Especially at work. We have no dress code but I’m constantly being told I’m not allowed to wear them for H&S reasons. Until I point out that all the ladies wearing open toe’d shoes and massive high heals are perfectly fine.
    People are really scared by feet. If I’m bare foot it’s because I want to be, not because I want to be non conformist. And I’m certainly not a hippy. There isn’t anything on the bottom of my feet thy wouldn’t be one the bottom of my shoes. If I stand on something and it hurts my foot then that’s my fault. It is after all my choice.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If I stand on something and it hurts my foot then that’s my fault. It is after all my choice.

no it’s a workplace accident, which may need reporting under RIDDOR IIRC

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There isn’t anything on the bottom of my feet thy wouldn’t be one the bottom of my shoes.

Does anyone know about this? Is flesh more lurgerific than rubber / leather?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

no it’s a workplace accident, which may need reporting under RIDDOR IIRC

I would tend to agree – insisting on marching around barefoot in a workplace would place additional pressure on an employer to ensure the floor is safe from any source of danger.

Personally I don’t think it is particularly out of order to expect your workforce to sufficiently protect their feet.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I don’t go bare foot at work. I wear my fivefingers. So it wouldn’t be a workplace incident. My work comment was more about suitability of footwear. Although there are people who walk round the office barefoot.
    And riddor wouldn’t apply anyway. Unles it was very severe(in which case would a pair of hush puppies have saved me) or got heavily infected causing me to have more than 3 days off work.

peachos
    Free Member

it’s a stupid rule – as someone else pointed out the kiwis and to a greater extent aussies do this a lot. i’ve walked around supermarkets over there and here barefooted and most likely will do again over the summer.

remember going to a pub with a mate who got refused entry by the doormen because he had sandles on. they blamed it on H&S – possibility of broken glass etc. still wouldn’t let him in after he pointed out all the ladies with their open toe shoes.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I totally agree about sufficiently protecting my feet at work. Hence I wear boots on site and shoes in the office.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t go bare foot at work. I wear my fivefingers.

You do now and only under duress. And by choosing to wear that footwear you are showing clear contempt for your employers (fair in my opinion) request to wear suitable footwear by choosing to wear the bare minimum.

IMO

toppers3933
    Free Member

I never said I don’t wear shoes at work. I said I wear five fingers. I wear them because they’re comfortable not because someone says I can’t.
    My point was the difference between what men can wear and what women can wear. There is no rule to govern what shoes I wear in the office so I’ll make an informed choice. Just like you do. My feet are no more at risk than anyone else’s.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

got so pi55ed off with people moaning about me not wearing shoes I now wear vibram five fingers.

Which is why I said you wear them under duress (you originally preferred to be barefoot).

Why not wear some ladies shoes to work then – they aren’t stopping you wearing them are they? And you still get to make your point.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Gary_M
    Free Member

My feet are no more at risk than anyone else’s

Not strictly true. If you stood on a staple for example with shoes on you wouldn’t notice it I think you might in bare feet.

Holmesey
    Free Member

this thread has really cheered up my hungover train ride. more public ridicule and less H&SW please

;0))

Cougar

On the subject of ill-conceived but vehemently enforced policies,

A few years ago now, I went down to Tesco’s at some silly hour, about 1am I think, to get some emergency supplies. Included in my haul was a pack of alcohol-free Beck’s. I knew that they couldn’t sell alcohol after a given time because of licencing laws, but figured I should be alright as it wasn’t actually alcoholic.

To cut a boring story short, I got to the checkout and the cashier woman said, “sorry, can’t sell alcohol”. I pointed out that it wasn’t, and she agreed and scanned it. The till rejected it. I protested. The cashier dragged her supervisor into the fray.

The supervisor told me that, even though it was alcohol-free, there would actually be traces of alcohol in the beer and that’s why they couldn’t sell it to me. I pointed out the tub of “vodka and chilli” pasta sauce that they’d already processed and offered to go and get a few bottles of shandy down for her to try and scan, to which she replied, “I’ll get the manager for you if you like?”

I declined, and left the not-beer behind. I presumed it was just a barcoding error – it was shelved in the ‘beer’ aisle, therefore it comes with all the “check age” baggage. In which case, there’s bog all that the manager can do about it, so I didn’t see much point. I’m sure he’s got better things to do at 1am like counting the sprinkles on the donuts or something.

Both the cashier and the supervisor were very nice about the whole thing, and were pretty much on my side. The whole thing was intriguing for them and for me, and I was of a “hmm, that’s odd” stance rather than an angry customer “that’s just not bloody good enough” mindset.

I took the address of their Customer Services department, somewhere up in Glasgow IIRC, to whom I planned to write and invite comment. Not in a complaining way, just curious as to whether it was an oversight of intentional, and what exactly their reasoning was. Of course, apathy promptly set in and I never got around to it.

Sorry, I’ve no amazing punchline to this, just thought I’d share.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

Just wear something on yer feet, innit?

Can’t believe that someone would get this worked up over something so trivial. It’s their shop, their rules. They can refuse entry to whoever they want, for whatever reason, unless it contravenes the Law.

People used to get refused service for the colour of their skin, and you’re moaning about getting chucked out for having no shoes on? I’d throw you out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cougar – that story circled somewhere around being interesting but never quite got there.

😉

toppers3933
    Free Member

I think you’re clinging on tenacioously to the wrong end of the stick i got annoyed in general because I do prefer to be barefoot
    I appreciate that there are places where being barefoot is not practical, such as the office or on site. I do not and never have gone barefoot at work. An I do not wear them under duress.
    My work took exception to my fives for reasons never explained. They could never explain why they were any more dangerous in the office than the trainers or even sandals that most people otherwise wear. or the footwear that the majority of the females in the office wear which they never complain about. That was my point. I am not condoning being barefoot in the office. I don’t do it and never have/will.

Cougar

Cougar – that story circled somewhere around being interesting but never quite got there.

Yeah. I get that a lot.

(-:

To be fair, it’s part of a longer post culled from my diary(*), it perhaps loses something out of context. Or perhaps, is just duller than I thought it was.

(* – what the cool kids would call a ‘blog’ these days I suppose).

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Toppers.

I sympathize with your point entirely, but if you could cope with the irritation of looking conventional whilst still actually wearing almost nothing on your feet, then get some Feelmax.

I wear them for work all the time. Soles are as thin as your Vibrams, they weigh nothing. You will feel the floor, but no one will bat an eyelid.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or, right, you could cut the soles off a pair of normal shoes, and still walk around ‘barefoot’, but nobody will know, and you can feel smug you’ve got one over them.

It’s a win-win!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am not condoning being barefoot in the office. I don’t do it and never have/will.

and

I got so pi55ed off with people moaning about me not wearing shoes I now wear vibram five fingers

Which is where I am lost – although granted it is not clear whether the moaning was from people in the office.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Elfin your idea is genius. I’m off to get the scissors.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I was pi55ed about the general moaning about bare feet. So I got some fives to stop that general moaning.
    Work just started moaning about my fives.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

On the subject of ill-conceived but vehemently enforced policies

So that’s what we’re talking about ?

The OP almost got barred from Tesco, for walking around like a prat without any shoes.

I feel a strongly worded letter to Tesco’s head office expressing disgust at their vehemently enforced “almost barring” policy is in order.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Sorry everyone if I wasn’t clear in my first post. I’m off to the pub. In shoes.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

People used to get refused service for the colour of their skin, and you’re moaning about getting chucked out for having no shoes on? I’d throw you out.

I agree with El…

ooh! Hold on.

erm… I agree with El… Hmmm. I think the same as El… Gah!!!

Elfinsafety and I are in argument aggregate

I agree with what that bloke said up there. ^^^

wallop

Seriously, why would anyone even want to go into Tesco barefoot?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

(Waits for the edit and FIFY)…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Seriously, why would anyone even want to go into Tesco barefoot?

It’s his God given right. It’s for exactly this kind of thing that the heroes of previous generations fought 2 world wars and one world cup. Yet you seem to choose to ignore that. Throwing it back in their faces. Let’s not forget the sacrifices of those people, we should show them some respect instead of pissing on our flag the way you do. If you like it so much why don’t you just go and live there!?

aracer
    Free Member

elf FTW!

wwaswas

I’m off to the pub. In shoes.

don’t want to risk not being admitted?

timbur of these parts got banned from a pub after taking his spd shoes off to let his feet and socks gently steam dry in front of a pub fire after a wet ride.

Hohum
    Free Member

lookmanohands – Member
    …….I didn’t have any shoes on! Wtf, apparently its down to health and safety. Someone could run over my feet with a trolley?! Flip flops are ok though. I spoke to the store manger and asked to see the policy which she couldn’t find so said I could shop this time so long as I took full responsibility if I damaged my feet. What is the world coming to?

I saw two blokes in Bathgate Tesco last night with flip flops on.

They did look like a bunch of hippies with their big hair dos.

What I couldn’t understand is that it was raining outside and only barely above freezing so their feet must have been really cold when they were outside 😕

wwaswas

good grief there’s a website (why wouldn’t there be I guess);

http://www.barefooters.org/faq/22.html

DezB
    Free Member

I just wanna know what sort of pedals these barefoot hippy freaks people use…

toppers3933
    Free Member

that barefoot site is 24c genius.

‘m off to the pub. In shoes.

don’t want to risk not being admitted?

nah, its just not socially acceptable.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘just been refused entry to my local tescos……..’ is closed to new replies.