Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Just been out on the '3rd bike'
  • jkomo

A twenty year old GT Borrego. I was pretty much set on this as a pub bike.
    However, last week I raided the parts bin, put on a Eastern vice stem and some wide-ish Monkey Lites.
    It had a really long flat stem originally with narrow flat bars, which put the weight so far forward I was always flying over the bars.
    Took it out for a cross country ride, cos I don’t want bikes 1 or 2 to get dirty (yes I said that).
    It was just ace, rigid, steel, with stx chainset, LX mechs and shifters.
    It is on the original chain BB and gear cables.
    Everything works perfectly, didn’t even need fettling. But standing on the pedals and giving it full beans was brilliant, obviously no bobbing, just full speed flat out fun.
    We weighed it by hand and I swear wasn’t any heavier than my mates carbon hard tail with Reba’s.
    The cantilever brakes however, are shit.
    Unfortunately it has no disc brake bosses.
    It looks ace too.

alexpalacefan

Swap tO some V brakes and you’re good to go (or rather to stop!)

APF

Northwind

I ride my 20 year old Carrera more than any other bike I have. Time has not been as kind on it though (mostly the first year, which I spent growing, to be fair)

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 V-brakes, pick some up cheap on ebay

Lester
    Free Member

what about magura h33 hydrauliv rim brakes?
    should do the trick

RustySpanner

Out on the old rigid Rockhopper with V’s last week, just for fun.

Took about half an hour to recalibrate but still ended up with arm pump and a moist chamois.

Fastest run eva on Hurstwood trails though innit, amazing how fast you can corner when you can’t stop. 😀

Loved the light weight, the steering and the feeling of being a kid again, but my arms and wrists were screaming after an hour or so.

Can’t imagine what canti’s must be like these days.

tthew

Them foam-y ESI grips that were a Tuesday prize when Charlie the Bikemonger was featured a few weeks ago make a big difference to the rigid bike arm pump problem.

I think it’s more to do with the fact you don’t feel the need to perform the handlebar death grip than the extra padding.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – Retrobike is for you! 😀

crush83
    Free Member

what about magura h33 hydrauliv rim brakes?

I have some of these on my ss converted rigid marin palisades trail. Good stuff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Just been out on the '3rd bike'’ is closed to new replies.