• This topic has 36 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by evh22.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Just been knocked off my bike – how to proceed?
  • Jamz
    Free Member

So I’ve just been knocked off my bike and I’m not sure what to do now.

A woman pulled out of a junction into me, I went over the bonnet and hit the ground. I’m pretty much okay, nothing broken, just cuts and bruises, but my bike is not. The front wheel is buckled and I’m not sure if the fork is compromised or not. One of my Look blades has has also been wrecked.

I bought the bike from Evans last Wednesday, its not even a week old yet!! 😥 😥 😥

I’ve never been in an accident with a car before, what should I do now?? I guess the bike will need to be looked at (it’s a BMC TM02 – carbon fibre) should I take it back to Evans? Are they even capable examining it properly?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

glad to know you are ok, don’t have first hand knowledge but here’s a good link to start

Bike accident advice

faustus

Did you get their full details including insurance?! If so, then claim against them and also report to Police that an RTC took place…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Info info info.

Report it to the police.
    Record details of any witnesses.
    Photograph the scene.
    Keep a diary .
    Photograph injuries.
    Photograph damage.
    Get bike checked over.
    Get you checked over.

Plan like this is going to get very messy and be a ball ache of a fight.
    Count yourself lucky if any part of it is easier than that.

Glad you don’t seem too beat up.
    No matter how “nice” the driver was, or how they offered to sort it out, they will back pedal once they find out your bike is worth more than £50.

Rorschach
    Free Member

CTC are very good for this here even if you are’nt a member

mattyfez

If you have the drivers details, cal thier insurance company, report the accident and advise you want to claim.

mike_p
    Free Member

Names, details, car reg. no., insurance details, times, etc. Make a full list of damage. When you speak to the insurer tell them that the driver admitted liability at the scene (even if they didn’t). Do not under any circumstances say “I’m okay”.

Sounds likely that the fork/frame may be a write-off, so if that’s the case demand nothing less than the full price that you paid for the bike, plus damage to kit, and DEFINITELY tell the insurer that you’ll be getting a medical check-up. Word it all carefully – they’ll pay you whatever you ask for bike/kit if they think it likely that you won’t proceed with an injury claim.

Also if you paid by credit card the bike may be covered by that, but you can’t claim twice

Jamz
    Free Member

Okay so the best course of action is for me to phone her insurance company and report the incident and tell them that I will be making a claim.

I shall also report the incident to the police.

Then take the bike to get checked over. Should I take it back to Evans or to a decent bike shop? Im in Leeds.

Thanks for the advice so far.

kimbers

Id go back to Evans, Im sure they will be as good as anyone else

have you been checked over medically, worth making sure?

also clothes, helmet etc

Onzadog
    Free Member

Police – yes. Why wouldn’t you.

dingleberry
    Free Member

I’d claim for ANY damage to kit – it might only be a scuff, but wouldn’t be like that if the driver was paying attention.

And you say you’re ok now, but be prepared to feel like you’ve been hit by a train tomorrow morning… Take it easy for the rest of the day.

jekkyl

the expensive watch you were wearing got smashed and your mobile phone is all done in, your cycling kit is rapha isn’t it? *cough*

thecaptain
    Free Member

don’t be afraid to claim for all incidental ex
    penses too

ads678

Deffo Police!

Deffo insurance, it’s the only way you’ll get paid out properly.

What did the woman say? Is she admitting it?

Form Evans website: We’re committed to finding the right bike for you.

Which is why when you buy a bike from us, if it’s not the one for you, you can change it within thirty days. No questions asked.

Welcome to the Right Bike Guarantee.

Well you never know!! 😉 Glad you’re ok 🙂

Poopscoop

Glad to hear your ok mate.

Did you happen to take pictures after the event?

I realise you were probably too shaken up to think of that, but they are gold if you did.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Should I take it back to Evans or to a decent bike shop

Lol.
    Glad you’re reasonably okay OP. Had a near miss myself today, was turning right, signalled and pulled over to the centre line and was about to make the turn only to see some muppet accelerating hard and drive around me on the other side of the road.

devash
    Free Member

Whereabouts in Leeds did this occur?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Evans import BMC so wherever you take it (and theres no reason for you not to take it straight to them) it will end up bank in their hands for inspection if it requires it,

i wouldn’t want to ride it again and would be pushing for a replacement from the insurers

edlong
    Free Member

I think others have covered most of it. Just a couple of things:

When you speak to the insurer tell them that the driver admitted liability at the scene (even if they didn’t).

Hmm, okay, well, I wouldn’t. It doesn’t sound like you’re going to lose this one by telling the truth, maybe go with that. All it needs is the driver to produce a passer by as a witness saying that they definitely didn’t say this, or it turns out the audio recorder on their phone was accidentally switched on and hey look, YOUR credibility is shot to pieces..

should I take it back to Evans? Are they even capable examining it properly?

Should I take it back to Evans or to a decent bike shop? Im in Leeds.

Of course, everyone’s entitled to an opinion and lots of people don’t always have nice things to say about Evans but, er, if that’s what you think of them why on earth have you spent serious money on buying a bike there??

(And if you want to go to an independent in Leeds, you could do worse than Garage Bikes in Morley btw)

amedias
    Free Member

Glad you’re mostly OK OP, it’s an awful thing to happen!

Make sure you do get properly checked out by a doc too, for two reasons

1. you may feel fine now, you may feel awful tomorrow. Adrenaline can do magical things to mask injury, took a full 24-36 hours last time I got whacked before all he aches appeared, and a couple of weeks before some of them subsided.

2. They will be able to provide notes if asked which will support any investigation by the police or insurance. If you don’t get checked and it isn’t logged it can harm the investigation if you are making claims about injury that can’t be supported

You must log it with the police if there has been an accident involving an injury, the police will log it and make any necessary investigations.

You should also get your bike to a shop for inspection and get quotes for repair/replacement of ANY parts that are visibly damaged, and any parts that you cannot get verified safe. Include clothing and accessories in the quote if they were also damaged.

Contact her insurer and register that you will be making a claim, find out what their process is so you know what to do, and if you have any personal or home insurance they often offer a free advice and help line as well.

nealglover
    Free Member

the expensive watch you were wearing got smashed and your mobile phone is all done in, your cycling kit is rapha isn’t it? *cough*

There’s always one 🙄

Yay, fraud !

Bez

Oh, well done to everyone hinting at or explicitly suggesting committing fraud. WTF?

As above:
    – report it to the police
    – make notes now of everything that happened and all other details you can recall, so that you won’t have forgotten it by the time the police ask for a statement
    – make a detailed list of all the damage, photograph it, and find out the cost of repair or replacement for each item
    – where appropriate, get a professional statement regarding the damage, eg (if relevant) a written statement from a bike shop on headed paper stating that the frame/fork is beyond repair or may be unsafe
    – be patient and be prepared for the fact that insurance companies are generally extremely keen to minimise their costs: this is where diligence in obtaining quotes and professional statements comes in
    – kind of obviously, you’d think: do not commit fraud

project
    Free Member

Report to Gp and say RTC on a bike with a motor vehicle.

Take bike back to evans , if you need a taxi keep receipt,

http://www.bikeline.co.uk

or cycleaid 0800 387 815 i got a free cycling jersey off them and i didnt make a claim, but lots of info on their web site.

darthshearer
    Free Member

These people saying you were wearing XYZ will be the ones moaning why their insurance is so high too.

Glad you’re ok mate anyways.

Jamz
    Free Member

Sweet, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!

Incident has been reported and I’ve spoken to British Cycling as I remembered I’m a silver member so I’m hoping its in good hands. Got the bike booking into Evans on Wednesday.

I’ll see about the docs tomorrow depending how I’m feeling. Im not actually registered Leeds yet (I’m a student and only moved back in yesterday – great start to the term eh!!) the car only hit my bike and I hit the ground so its (hopefully) just superficial.

Actually my phone screen was cracked, it was in my back pocket!

It was in Headingley, just off the big junction by Salvos, to the east, a little further down where Grove Lane sweeps round and there’s another road off to the left. Quite a dodgy junction but still, conditions were perfect so there’s no reason she shouldn’t have seen me. That was her excuse anyway! She seemed just as shaken up as I was to be fair.

Thankfully I managed to get the number of a bloke who was down the road cutting the grass so can use him as a witness. Didn’t take any photos tho, wasn’t really thinking straight.

I have to say it’s a very surreal moment when you realise that you’re about to collide with a car, I remember it exactly but I can’t actually remember hitting the road or anything much at the moment of impact. Weird.

Jamz
    Free Member

Oh and I had to buy the bike off Evans because they’re the only ones that sell BMC in the UK. The particular geometry of the M/S TM02 was recommended by the Bike Whisperer to suit my dimensions.

darthshearer
    Free Member

What did the Women say?

Its an awful round there for drivers not paying attention.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Nothing to add other than “bugger”, hope you’re alright in the morning and get sorted out with a new bike ASAP! I’ve heard good things about BC from mates who’ve been involved with accidents so hopefully you’ll also have good things to say.

Every cloud…if you didn’t like the BMC you’re not stuck with it now 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ll see about the docs tomorrow depending how I’m feeling. Im not actually registered Leeds yet

As you seem sorted with the bike/claim etc, I’ll recommend a doctors surgery for you to get registered at.
    Nice place and great docs. Just along from Carnegie Stadium.

Home

ads678

If you’re not registered at a docs try a walk in centre, there’s one in burmantoffs, and there used to be one in the light but not sure if it’s still there. Or just go to LGI/minor injuries unit in middleton not sure where others are.

Get checked out though as anything documented will help the insurance claim.

As other have said check you’re helmet ( 8O) and other clothes for damage and take photos as you should be getting paid out for them as well.

sandboy

To reinforce what others are saying, I got hit and rode my bent bike 8 miles home. I felt fine but the next day I could hardly move. Hope this is not the case for you.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Pleased all seems ok, but as everyone says, get checked out properly.
    Reading this has though made me think I could possibly do with some legal cover/insurance in case of something like this.
    I’ve commuted for years (again into Leeds) and been ok so far, but near misses are a regular occurrence – just looking at British Cycling and their “Ride” membership is only £22.85 if pay by direct debit and use promotional code CYCLESCH (usually £33).
    Think I’d probably get that back quickly with the extra discounts on CRC/Halfords/Evans etc.
    Might be worth it for some.
    S

evh22
    Free Member

“2. They will be able to provide notes if asked which will support any investigation by the police or insurance. If you don’t get checked and it isn’t logged it can harm the investigation if you are making claims about injury that can’t be supported”

They may wish to charge you for this, it’s not NHS work. Obviously if you have had an accident and are injured and require medical treatment that’s different but if you are just feeling a bit achey you wouldn’t normally go see your GP would you? I’m not entirely convinced that’s what the NHS is for. When I was in an accident they just sent me a form to fill in to say what injuries I had and how it affected me.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’d always err on the side of caution in terms of bike damage, and I’d imagine any bike shop would too. I got banged a few years ago and had the front wheel pringled but never really checked anything else out on the bike (tricky to do when you’ve only got one wheel). Guy was okay about it and stumped up the cash for a wheel rebuild but my forks were never the same again afterwards.

Once you start asking (legitimately) for £300 forks, £150 wheel, £100 helmet etc. drivers enthusiasm often wilts away…

amedias
    Free Member

They may wish to charge you for this, it’s not NHS work. Obviously if you have had an accident and are injured and require medical treatment that’s different but if you are just feeling a bit achey you wouldn’t normally go see your GP would you? I’m not entirely convinced that’s what the NHS is for. When I was in an accident they just sent me a form to fill in to say what injuries I had and how it affected me.

Only going on what I was advised by the Police officer who interviewed me, he said if I had ANY injuries at all to get them checked to make sure it was nothing serious (see point 1 about them being worse later) but also so that they have a record of examination on file to request if needs be.

I’m not in any particular disagreement with your comments about it being chargeable, but I would expect that being given the once over by a medical professional after being knocked to the ground by a motor vehicle probably comes under acceptable use rather than an example of taking the piss.

Maybe it should be chargeable in all cases and the cost claimed back as part of the insurance claim. But then that would probably produce a list of ‘insurance approved’ medical assessment centres, with corresponding vastly overpriced services and incentive to find injury* consequently pushing the cost of insurance up even further…cynical? me? no…..

* or worse, deliberately downplaying legitimate injury to reduce payouts

evh22
    Free Member

Only going on what I was advised by the Police officer who interviewed me, he said if I had ANY injuries at all to get them checked to make sure it was nothing serious (see point 1 about them being worse later) but also so that they have a record of examination on file to request if needs be.

And this is why the NHS is in the s**t. Police officers talk a load of nonsense. You should use your own judgement to decide whether to see a doctor. Surely that is possible??? If you do go, be straight up at the start about what you want and can cut through the crap and focus on how to get you better.

There are already insurance approved assessment appointments. If the insurance company wants a medical assessment they will arrange for you to go see a doctor. Yes it will cost more money but that’s the game you play if you want to play medical compensation.

TBH it doesn’t sound like the OP was asking about medical claims so I don’t think this is the point of the thread.

EDIT: sorry about the quotes.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Just been knocked off my bike – how to proceed?’ is closed to new replies.