• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bails.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just been in an accident…
  • Daffy

Came around a corner going downhill on a narrow, twisty, double road, and the traffic was stationary on both sides. Tried to avoid but went into the back, right side of the car in front. Hit the car with my bars at around 30mph which flipped me over the bars in between the two cars and onto the road.

Shattered a front tooth, broken wrist, paint damage to the car. I’m a member of British cycling, is this something that’s covered under insurance?

M

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

No idea, but healing vibes.

All info should be: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/thirdpartyliability

Seems like you should be covered.

Junkyard
    Free Member

SHould be and certainly used to be

Heal well and learn the lesson[no offence]

teadrinker
    Free Member

No idea but gently man hugs and heal well.

maxtorque

Roadies eh!

Only joking, get well soon!!! 😆

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ll give you a silver medal, in a similar-ish sort of accident I fractured my upper jaw; lower nose; two metacarpals of my dominant hand;lost two teeth; chipped many others and screwed up my right wrist a little for life ~30 months ago… Never argue with a stationary rubbish lorry around a blind bend! 😉

On a more serious note, have some healing vibes and get back on the metaphorical horse when you are fit again. 🙂

reformedfatty
    Free Member

narrow, twisty, double road, Hit the car at around 30mph

Yep that’ll make for quite a learning experience. Hope the car driver wasn’t too pissed off

Notter
    Free Member

This being STW surely the car driver was at fault for just being on the road?

ransos
    Free Member

This being STW surely the car driver was at fault for just being on the road?

Do you think you could not be a nobber?

OP: get well soon.

avdave2

I hope you got up of the road and ran the rest of the way to work 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

You are covered by BC, and they’re very good.

Healing vibes and that!

jamj1974

Get well soon. Remember though – make sure you can stop in the distance you see. Take care!

tomd
    Free Member

When you say cover…I think the BC cover (I’m a member) is 3rd party so it’ll cover the cost of the damage you caused to the car. The damage and loss to yourself and your property is not covered.

gordy3
    Free Member

Healing vibes mate.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You need disc brakes.

velocipede
    Free Member

Ouch 😕

Heeling vibes & hope you’re out again soon!

philxx1975
    Free Member

Do you think you could not be a nobber?

really replace argumentative STW member with

CAR going round corner going downhill on a narrow, twisty, double road, and the traffic was stationary on both sides. Tried to avoid but went into the back, right side of the car in front.

and you would have driver moron

Should there be an award for double standardist of the year?

njee20
    Free Member

When you say cover…I think the BC cover (I’m a member) is 3rd party so it’ll cover the cost of the damage you caused to the car. The damage and loss to yourself and your property is not covered.

Ah yes, I presume that’s what was meant!

project
    Free Member

You could have hit a power ranger and his mate on a motorised bike, with a camera crew filming it, just as Chris froome then ran into the back of you.

Daffy

philxx1975 – Member

CAR going round corner going downhill on a narrow, twisty, double road, and the traffic was stationary on both sides. Tried to avoid but went into the back, right side of the car in front.

I’m not really sure what’s being said here, but it was an unfortunate set of circumstances on a road I’m quite familiar with, caused (initially) by a person (obviously unfamiliar with the road) trying to tow a wide horse trailer up the hill. The effect being to cause all the descending traffic stop whilst the horsebox tower squeezed past them.

I came down the hill, swung wide on the entrance to the corner, so as not to exit on the other side of the road into oncoming traffic. The bend is a 120deg corner, as I took the apex, I didn’t see the stationary traffic until I was 5m away from it. The road is effectively a narrow (but two car passable) valley in the hill with steep sides and no footpath. There was almost nowhere to go. I slammed on almost immediately, but both wheels slid on a wet road (just in this section, the rest of the roads were dry) and when the front did eventually bite, the backwheel lifted clear of the ground and I endo steered toward the gap between the two cars. My left STI/bars struck the rear tailgate of the Audi Estate (it had to be really, didn’t it?) which pulled my wheel into the rear bumper and to a deadstop. I was launched over the bars, into the side of the Audi and ended up face down on the road with my legs and ass in the air, looking at my own teeth and pieces of glasses. I distinctly remember thinking…”that’s not good”

Like I said, unfortunate circumstances, but ultimately, and unless my insurers disagree, I think it’s my fault.

I’m certain the highway code says something about being able to stop inside the distance one can see… maybe around a corner that’s stretching it a little, but still.

Just to say, the car that followed me through, having had to slow further for the corner, only just stopped before hitting what was left of my bike.

I’m not showing off my new found fighting hillbilly look.

Daffy

project – Member
    You could have hit a power ranger and his mate on a motorised bike, with a camera crew filming it, just as Chris froome then ran into the back of you.

The irony of this was not lost on me whilst waiting for the Ambulance.

PaulMc
    Free Member

100% your fault I’m afraid. BC insurance will cover you for any claim by the Audi driver for damage to the car. Your injuries will not be covered unless you have personal accident cover under BC’s gold level membership. Damage to your bike is not covered.

DezB
    Free Member

Brave lickle soldier

bails

really replace argumentative STW member with

Phil, has anyone attempted to blame the stationary driver? Or say the OP wasn’t at fault?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just been in an accident…’ is closed to new replies.