Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Just been Hit & Runned. A couple of questions.
  • Nothing too serious, it happened at fairly low speed on a roundabout.

This one.

I came from the petrol station on the right, intending to take the 3rd exit towards the top of the map.
    A car pulled out of the road on the left and I went in to the side of it.
    I ended up lying in the road alongside the car with my bike between me and the car. The car stopped, the driver looked at me, then drove off. His right hand rear wheel then went over my front wheel.

I called the police and they took a statement from me at the scene. The registration number matches my description of the car.
    I’m OK, just minor grazing to my elbow, hip and knee.
    The front wheel’s got a bit of a wobble now though, although not enough to stop me riding it home.

So, before I have a go at trueing the wheel myself, is there a recognised maximum wobble in a rim before it is considered scrap ? It’s about 6mm, which doesn’t sound much, but looks pretty bad when I’m riding it.
    It’s a Stan’s Flow rim on an Industry9 hub with those fancy straight pull aluminium spokes if that makes a difference.
    Should I be claiming for a replacement rim and wheel build ?
    Am I likely to get anything if I do ?
    Should I get legal advice ?

Anything else I ought to be doing ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Should I get legal advice ?

Yes.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Should I be claiming for a replacement rim and wheel build ?

Yes

MadBillMcMad

Do not use one of those b$$$$$$d sue & screw law firms.

Join the CTC & ask them.
    Not sure if they will still give you advice for an accident that happened just before joining but they might.

Taff
    Free Member

Join the CTC & ask them.
    Not sure if they will still give you advice for an accident that happened just before joining but they might.

Or ring up citizen advise bureau.

The police should be able to put you in contact with reputable people

binners

Fuckem and leggit accident claim lawyers at your service sir 😀

pjt201
    Free Member

follow the advice on here:
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread4213.html

they seem pretty switched on about stuff like that.

crazy-legs

This thread on London Fixed Gear & SS forum is very useful.

Leaving the scene of an accident is very serious – in fact he’s probably in more trouble for doing that than he is for actually hitting you.

CTC won’t help if you weren’t a member at the time of the accident. They might put you in touch with a cycling solicitor though. While you’re at it, join CTC or British Cycling. £24 a year for peace of mind in case of such an incident – well worth it.

Good luck getting it all sorted and at least you’re OK.

I’ve been thinking about joining CTC or BC for a while for the legal service since I had a near miss with a pedestrian a year or so ago.
    Maybe this time I’ll actually do it.

So, how do I pick a good solicitor, lawyer or whatever then ? One who’s likely to know the difference between straight pull and J bend spokes for a start ?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Do not use one of those b$$$$$$d sue & screw law firms.

Join the CTC & ask them.

Don’t they just forward you onto there preferred “sue and screw” firm that you can get access to anyway?

D0NK

Leaving the scene of an accident is very serious

haha hoho not that serious it seems
    have had 1 H&R taken seriously and 1 no one seemed to care much about*

*well ok they got in touch with driver and made sure his paper work was legit but nothing else.

Oh and CTCs legal firm (who are supposed to be quite good normally russel something?) said case no 2 wasn’t serious enough for them to take on (only £45 worth of damage)

Junkyard
    Free Member

any other witnesses to back you up?
    Not saying i dont believe you but just how eactly would you prove your account
    Glad you are ok

Ps get his details from the DVLA and bombers and wee

Aidy
    Free Member

haha hoho not that serious it seems
    have had 1 H&R taken seriously and 1 no one seemed to care much about*

Yeah, I’ve reported two.

Have the police done a damned thing? Not a chance.

jimster
    Free Member

Make sure the Feds get a signed statement off you, one should be through the post in the next couple of days, the statement you gave at the roadside/office isn’t good enough YOU have to complete a witness statement form and sign it away from them.

If there are any witnesses make sure they have their details too. In my case there were no witnesses and the signed statement disappeared was lost in the post.

Lots of witnesses, but I didn’t get any details, which is pretty stupid as part of my job is initial reporting of out of hours RTAs involving buses and I always tut tut at the drivers for not following the proper procedure.
    It was on a trading estate, but it’s unlikely that that bit of road is covered by CCTV.

The policewoman who attended seemed to be taking it seriously.
    I told her I was on my way home along the canal and came on to the estate to go to Halfords. She mentioned that she cycles along the same canal.
    The driver of the car is local and she was going to visit him as soon as she left me.

butcher

I once had someone bump into my car in the carpark at work. Minimal damage and I wasn’t in the car at the time (I was sat watching from my desk), and the police wanted to charge the driver with leaving the scene of the accident.

I think it’s positive that the Policewoman was also a cyclist, as leaving someone lying in the middle of a roundabout after you’ve smashed into them with over a ton of metal is not really on!! I’m sure she will appreciate that.

Definitely claim for any damage.

thomthumb
    Free Member

please go for a conviction too.

at the moment you probably aren’t too bothered about it – that is possibly becasue you aren’t dead.

yes you should get a new wheel – you shouldn’t have to out up with a ‘run over and repaired’ wheel, you should have one as it was this time yesterday.

join the CTC.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this MTG.

FYI CTC use Russell Jones and Walker for such things and, if you’re a member they will take the case regardless of admission of guilt (I’m told). I’m not a member but they handled my claim no bother, but as the guy who knocked me off admitted liability they were hardly going to lose.

RJW also trade as Claims Direct so avoiding

sue & screw law firms

may be impossible as they all seem to be the same

Edit:

at the moment you probably aren’t too bothered about it – that is possibly becasue you aren’t dead.

This was my experience, one of my friends pointed out that if I’d had a narrow miss I would have gone bat-shit at the driver but was just thankful not to be dead, so was pretty relaxed about being mown-down.
    He was right.
    I’d not hesitate to press charges against someone who knocked me off & scarpered.

foxyrider
    Free Member

This happened to a mate Sunday – left him on the tarmac after parking around the corner to have a quick peep (so his number plate wasn’t seen) – Scum! Throw the book at the little git!

thegreatape
    Free Member

the statement you gave at the roadside/office isn’t good enough YOU have to complete a witness statement form and sign it away from them.

What do you mean?

higgo
    Free Member

The policewoman who attended seemed to be taking it seriously.
    I told her I was on my way home along the canal and came on to the estate to go to Halfords. She mentioned that she cycles along the same canal.

She doesn’t ride on that canal. In fact she almost certainly hasn’t got a bike.
    She’s asking you out, you big fool.

sparksmcguff

I’m a little concerned that even cyclists seem to be becoming blase about being hit by vehicles. That the police don’t take the matter seriously is of course concerning but surely as road users we also have a duty to lobby for better, safer access.

My personal experience with being run off the road and threatened was the police were willing to pursue the case as a crime though I just wanted the guy to be ‘spoken to’ (no damage to bike or myself) – which the police duly did.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not sure why you are being advised to see a lawyer, minimal injuries/damage, not worth claiming for IMO.

foxyrider
    Free Member

You never been hit Cynic-al? Sorry even if his bike is not damaged he left the scene of an accident which is a criminal offence if I am not mistaken (fair enough if you don’t want to claim damages but I would pursue with the police) – He might think this is OK and may not give a toss if he does it again in the future – he needs to realise this fact! [personally speaking of course]

Raindog
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

Not sure why you are being advised to see a lawyer, minimal injuries/damage, not worth claiming for

So he should just put up with a bent/weak wheel, or pay to replace it himself?

http://www.bikeline.com aren’t usually considered to be sue and screw, and who I’d recommend. No need to be a member of anything to use them (and there’s no advantage to what legal help you’d get if you were a member of any organisation).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It’s exactly this type of reason I never let my BC Gold membership lapse, Leigh and Day once fought my corner over an RTA and were excellent.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m surprised the car isn’t a write off 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was only talking to the wife about joining the CTC a couple of days before being hit by a pizza delivery bloke on a roundabout, who then eventually drove off.

In my case I got the insurance details from the police who collected his details from the pizza firm he worked for – access to the policemens notes would cost me £81 so I don’t know if he is admitting liability.

I phoned his insurers the other day to ask about claiming costs in case my bike is damaged and also medical in case I need some remedial massage/physio, as I would prefer not to get blood-sucking solicitors involved, and they indicated that this was possible.

However, some insurance firms seem to insist on the solicitor path, which obviously pushes costs up a lot.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

His wheel is 6mm out? <5m to true or £10 on LBS, lawyers won’t bother suing for that, he can claim directly.

As for pursuing the driver re. the criminal stuff, no lawyer required.

toys19
    Free Member

In my experience witnesses will really help, perhaps go back same time tomorrow and canvass?

Houns

I hate driving around there mtg never mind riding, glad you’re ok

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member

CTC won’t help if you weren’t a member at the time of the accident. They might put you in touch with a cycling solicitor though. While you’re at it, join CTC or British Cycling. £24 a year for peace of mind in case of such an incident – well worth it.

Good luck getting it all sorted and at least you’re OK.

can anyone confirm whether BC or CTC ‘sell’ their claims to RJW /Leigh Day (I suspect they do unless someone can convince me otherwise)

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

aracer – Member

http://www.bikeline.com aren’t usually considered to be sue and screw, and who I’d recommend.

why are bikeline any different to any other solictors (Bikeline is a trading name) – they will still run claims on a CFA/No Win,No Fee (I assume) like 99% of solicitors out there. How else will it be funded.

Sue & Screw. What exactly does that mean. Do people not realise that all solicitors are regulated by the Law Society and they take a dim view of malpractice.

project
    Free Member

Glad youre ok,
    try http://www.bikeline.co.uk

Theyre cycling solicitors and have got good results acording to fellow cyclists tround here.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

LCC pass you on to Levenes. As far as I can tell these firms are all much of a muchness but CtC/LCC recommended will be familiar with cycle claims. When I got taken out by a bus I made their claims co a (very fair, probably too low) one time offer and made clear if refused would be passed to solicitors. Levenes costs would have been >1500 which seemed unreasonable when I was only asking for 1k

gingerss
    Free Member

Personally I’d get the bike fully assessed for damage and claim directly with his insurer for new rather than repairs. There may the other damage you’ve not noticed. I did this after being hit a few years ago and it worked out well. I’d only get solicitors involved if I had any problems with the insurer, or if there was more involved such as personal injury. If nothing else happens at least you’ve bumped up his premium by a few hundred pounds and you don’t end up out of pocket.

I’d also ask the police to press charges as by the sound of it he’s stopped, considered his options and then decided to leave the scene.

For me, if he’d got out and apologised I’d take a very different stance.

Hope it works out well for you.

nick3216
    Free Member

Paul Darlington at Smith Jones Solicitors.

01282 855400

cynic-al – there’s a time and a thread to be a contradictory arse. this is not that thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Just been Hit & Runned. A couple of questions.’ is closed to new replies.