Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just been 'chugged' over the phone, flippin cheek
  • PJay
    Free Member

I hate chuggers and the way they give people the ‘hard sell’ to give to charity by signing up for a direct debit, when their real intent is to make money for themselves. I do on occassion however give to the DEC, Red Cross and other organisations online in response to specific appeals (although I’ve never like the fact that you can’t donate online without supplying full contact details).

I’ve just been phoned by someone purporting to be from the Red Cross, but clearly a smarmy ‘hard sell’ salesman, trying to get me to sign up to a direct debit. He wouldn’t take no for an answer and tried all sorts of combinations of amounts and time scales (£20 a month down to £12 twice a year). When he finally realised that he wasn’t going to get anywhere I was told that he was obliged to inform me that he was working for a commercial company on behalf of the Red Cross etc. etc. and that their fee (I think he quoted £27,000) was dependent on the number of folk they signed up).

I feel really peed off that the Red Cross has handed on my contact details (the guy even knew the amount I’d donated) to a commercial chugging company and that I’ve been chugged in my own home. I know that charities have to fundraise, particularly in tough times like this, but I can’t help thinking that this could backfire, I’m not sure I’ll be so keen to support the Red Cross in future or perhaps any charity that requires full contact details off me before they’ll take my money.

footflaps

Write to the Red Cross and complain.

I quit Plan International after they decided to introduce auto DD increases with an opt out rather than asking you first.

Tom83

My missus donates to a cancer charity. They keep sending through post/phone calls asking to increase her donation. We get about one of these letters a month. We find it a bit of a cheek, as a charity is an optional contribution, yet they’re pressing her for more. She’s even considering cancelling the DD, which is a shame for them in the long run.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I find the phone calls less intrusive than being approached in the street. Last time I got one I agreed to £40 more a month to Water Aid 🙂

iainc

‘chugging’ has a quite different meaning here in Glasgow – it would make a terrible sticky mess 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Three step plan.
    1.Put the phone down.
    2.Put the kettle on.
    3.Have a brew.
    Simples innit 😀
    The caller at the door scenario is similar but exchange 1. for Slam door in face.

Raindog
    Free Member

The company I work for has adopted a local hospice as our nominated charity. All well and good, but they keep hassling everyone to donate goods / buy raffle tickets / pay to get the boss “out of jail” etc. I have no problem giving to charity on my own terms, but I hate being hassled to give by anyone, and particularly hate being hassled by my employer.

rOcKeTdOg

“Wouldn’t take no for an answer”

Does your phone not have an “off” button?

flip
    Free Member

Just put the phone down..

Simples.

rustler
    Free Member

“No, sod off”, is my general response. Cant believe people are so weak when it comes to these w8nkrs. And getting chugged on the phone is weakness with gnar.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And getting chugged on the phone is weakness

I don’t think being moved to generosity is exactly weakness…

flip
    Free Member

I don’t think being moved to generosity is exactly weakness…

You got bullied, why didn’t you do it of your own accord?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No, I wasn’t bullied, I was surprised at the low figure I was already giving, having thought it was more, so I increased it 🙂

leffeboy

I feel really peed off that the Red Cross has handed on my contact details (the guy even knew the amount I’d donated) to a commercial chugging company

I don’t think that they will have handed them over for them to do what they want with. The deal normally is that they can use them for the purposes of that particular campaign, not that they can then take that data and sell it on to someone else. From the Red Cross point of view it much more efficient that putting a team together to phone up folks themselves.

But I don’t like it either :(, and if you don’t want them to call you again just tell them. I don’t know what the UK rules are but if someone asks us not to call them, we don’t call them – simples

PePPeR

I visit a lot of Supermarkets in my job and I can’t believe how many chuggers they have for the Dogs Trust in these stores, the lads are all on commission and they are everywhere!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Many charities need to be careful who they sign up to do what. Recently heard of a religious-linked charity that was out actively and visibly giving some sort of comfy shoe to ladies walking home barefoot on nights out. They had employed anyone who would do the work, innocently. Not surprisingly many of these were guys of questionable moral virtue who were observed to take lots of drunk, vulnerable young ladies home. Now when it’s just a guy you met in a bar, well thats your own problem, but when you’re a charity and they’re using your name with ulterior motives…

Lifer
    Free Member

Hopefully the cuts to education will mean performing arts classes getting reduced and therefore less chuggers. Every cloud and all that.

poly
    Free Member

I suggest you email either

supportercare@redcross.org.uk

or their chief exec Nick Young (IIRC the format will by NYoung (AT) redcross.org.uk)

Asking them about the data protection issues, and if they think badgering their existing supporters is the best way to support their activities.

Flaperon

Apparently the fees charged by these agencies are roughly 1 year’s equivalent of the direct debit signed up with. So if you cancel after 9 months, the charity is out of pocket.

Funnily enough, the chuggers who apprehended me in Manchester yesterday didn’t seem to know this.

Del

sign up to the telephone preference service and never get cold called by a UK organisation again.

GrahamS

I give to the Red Cross (£25 a month by DD) because I believe in the work they do, but I do know what the OP means: I get a fairly steady stream of phone calls, emails and letters asking me to give more (which I can’t really afford at the mo with the missus on maternity).

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t put the phone down, say you’re going to turn the grill off and will be back in a tick, place the phone near the radio or TV and leave it there. If everyone does that to cold callers you’ll have less calls.

GrahamS

If you’ve already signed up to the charity then it isn’t cold calling and won’t be covered by TPS.
    And wasting their time is rather pointless given that they are being paid by a charity you give to!

leffeboy

I get a fairly steady stream of phone calls, emails and letters

Ask them not to call you or email you again. If they are any good then they should be able to deal with this info. If you don’t ask though they just won’t know 🙁

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just been 'chugged' over the phone, flippin cheek’ is closed to new replies.