Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 290 total)
  • just been assaulted
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

lol

donsimon
    Free Member

I can’t believe this, I fought in two world wars and gave my life. TWICE! For this tripe?
    I gave you the right to defend things, but come on! Defend something a bit more important than a 20p freaking ticket!!!
    It’s nearly Christmas.

legend
    Free Member

watching this thread (and the locked one) going full-retard goes very well with a cup of tea 🙂

I have nothing useful to add

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You make a very good point. As the trains have to go back and forth anyway, all passengers should just be allowed to get on and off for free.

Let’s have a little maths question shall we?

If I try to charge you and 3 of your colleagues £150 each to drive you all from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then your colleagues pay but you run away without paying once we arrive, how much has it cost me?

A) £150
    b) the cost of my fuel and time for the whole journey
    3) the extra cost incurred by having a little extra weight on the journey
    iv) some other made up response unrelated to the question

surfer
    Free Member

But this isnt about the economics is it. Questions on marginal cost dont apply.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But this isnt about the economics is it.

What isn’t? My my maths question or my response to the valuation of cost to the train companies, the original topic of discussion in this particular thread or something else completely?

druidh
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – seriously, mate. Stop digging.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – seriously, mate. Stop digging.

(iv) it is then. I guessed you’d say that. Thanks for playing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its still theft Charlie.
    One that one journey it probably doesnt cost much at all, but thats not the point is it. If a train cannot run at a profit then it may not run at all. so late night / early morning services could be cut back. In fact if the service as a whole doesnt bring in the cash, the whole service could be cut back, or withdrawn. See Wrexham and Shropshire railway company shutting up shop earlier this year due to lack of use!

falkirk-mark

Charlie
    D) the next load of passengers would be charged more to make up ‘lost’ revenue.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Its still theft Charlie.
    One that one journey it probably doesnt cost much at all, but thats not the point is it. If a train cannot run at a profit then it may not run at all. so late night / early morning services could be cut back. In fact if the service as a whole doesnt bring in the cash, the whole service could be cut back, or withdrawn. See Wrexham and Shropshire railway company shutting up shop earlier this year due to lack of use!

I don’t question that. All I’m questioning is the use of inaccurate valuation by the train operators, who are often overcharging already, to make it seem as though train fare bunkers will have a direct impact on the cost of our fares. Such that we think we have anything financial to gain by stopping them.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

D) the next load of passengers would be charged more to make up ‘lost’ revenue.

The revenue is only lost if the chap in question was ever going to pay.
    I’m glad you put ‘lost’ in inverted commas. You too realise that the revenue is not really lost and that the financial cost is largely imaginary.

donsimon
    Free Member

Does this mean that once a company starts making profit, I can start unloading them of unnecessary profits?

GrahamS

Charlie I suspect it is actually a combination of (A) with directly “lost” revenue from people not paying for the service they are using; + a fair amount of (iv) for the cost of measures to counter fare avoidance (ticket barriers, CCTV, ticket inspectors, legal costs etc).

I’m sure they’d give you a full breakdown if you asked nicely.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I agree with you. The lost revenue isn’t actually a cost.

Cheers

falkirk-mark

Apparently the transport cops are now investigating.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno. Easiest thing to do would have been to let him stay on the train till the next stop whereupon Auld Bill could have dealt with him (as Edukator said happens in France).

Big Man was silly to take it into his own hands – could have escalated into something far more serious had No Pay been up for the fight.

In the Summer of ’89, I travelled all over London and only ever paid when I was asked to or IIRC, you could buy a travelcard from a newsagent that would continue to work for around 3 or 4 days afterwards. Mind you, if I’d been asked to leave the train, I’d have just got up and gone, not refused.

If I could find a way of easily dodging fares now, I would. Hopefully, I’d manage it without bumping into any of the STW Hardman brigade.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I could find a way of easily dodging fares now, I would

I wouldn’t.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.

Neither would I, it’s simply theft.

Jamie
    Free Member

If I could find a way of easily dodging fares now, I would. Hopefully, I’d manage it without bumping into any of the STW Hardman brigade.

*cracks knuckles*

You’re on thin borrowed time ice, sunshine.

grantway
    Free Member

And your asking us for your fare home ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Easy for me to say of course given that I hardly ever have to use the train or bus. And thankfully, there are enough people that will happily cough up the inflated fares to cover the massive loss I’m causing the train company.

EDIT: With the caveat that if the railways were re-nationalised, I’d happily pay.

higgo
    Free Member

Let’s have a little maths question shall we?

If I try to charge you and 3 of your colleagues £150 each to drive you all from Edinburgh to Glasgow, then your colleagues pay but you run away without paying once we arrive, how much has it cost me?

A) £150
    b) the cost of my fuel and time for the whole journey
    3) the extra cost incurred by having a little extra weight on the journey
    iv) some other made up response unrelated to the question

Is there a contract?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Really does surprise me the number of people in this country that are happy to steal because it’s from a faceless organisation. I used to travel on the manchester->liverpool trains daily and could absolutely guarantee to see about 20-30% non-paying because the ticket control was useless – most stations had no ticket guy, the train conductors often didn’t even show their face (especially when crowded) and they opened the gates at lime street and just let people walk on by without checking. I started doing the British thing and writing letters to them telling them they need to up their game as I’m sick of paying price hikes while watching 30% of their revenue walk off down the road. Never did get a reply.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Did you put a stamp on it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is there a contract?

Only of mutual understanding.

higgo
    Free Member

That’s beautiful.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Really does surprise me the number of people in this country that are happy to steal because it’s from a faceless organisation

Have you heard of torrents?

If I could find a way of easily dodging fares now, I would.

I also share your lack of moral fibre

nealglover
    Free Member

…..they opened the gates at lime street and just let people walk on by without checking

York station has no platform control at all, no gates to be left open.

just walk in.

Anyone can wander in and get on a train with no ticket.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I also share your lack of moral fibre

too much moral fibre gives me moral diarrhoea

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

too much moral fibre gives me moral diarrhoea

🙂

CountZero

…..they opened the gates at lime street and just let people walk on by without checking

York station has no platform control at all, no gates to be left open.
    just walk in.
    Anyone can wander in and get on a train with no ticket.

Most stations are like this, Chippenham station has been for donkey’s years, but you have to then avoid the ticket Stasi on the train.
    This whole cost thing is interesting, if I book a ticket to That London for three weeks time, I could pay around £10. If I turn up at the station, it’ll be around £28-30. Same distance, same destination. It’s purely supply and demand driven, not the actual intrinsic cost of that journey.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That London for three weeks time, I could pay around £10. If I turn up at the station, it’ll be around £28-30. Same distance, same destination. It’s purely supply and demand driven, not the actual intrinsic cost of that journey.

So the amount you cost the train operator when bunking the fare depends on which kind of ticket you didn’t buy.

j-cru
    Free Member

You didn’t have a ticket, the guards eyesight was good enough to see all the other tickets on the train were valid. You caused a lot of delay on the one of the busiest lines in scotland. Got of lightly IMO.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sorry j-cru 🙁 i’m a bad example for my fellow teenagers. i’ve slapped my face with a kitten 3 times to induce an allergic reaction as a punishment

thegman67

Their is a story in today Sun with youtube footage of a guy getting thrown of a train in Scotland by a big block for not having a ticket is this the same guy

yunki
    Free Member

just watched the video of this on AOLs homepage..

I think the sarcastic guy might have been allowed to stay on the train if he hadn’t kept shouting

**** Swinley then ya **** aye

GrahamS

Their is a story in today Sun with youtube footage of a guy getting thrown of a train in Scotland by a big block for not having a ticket is this the same guy

No, it was just that phil was

about that story.

DezB
    Free Member

guy getting thrown of a train in Scotland by a big block for not having a ticket is this the same guy

Nah, this one was thrown off by a man.

BruceWee

Didn’t see anything particularly wrong with what the big man did in the video. Seemed to me that the ned was being abusive to the old guy who was doing his job. The force used wasn’t unreasonable. Can’t tell for sure but I doubt there were any injuries.

I saw someone getting kicked out of a pub in pretty much the same way last weekend. Some guy was being abusive to the barmaid (who was the only member of staff there) so a couple of the punters got him out of the pub in pretty much the same way as you see in the video.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 290 total)

The topic ‘just been assaulted’ is closed to new replies.