Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Just back from the vets, bad news
  • ac505
    Free Member

Bugger… Our cat has a satsuma sized lump in his intestines, so either some form of perforation or cancer. He’s lost about 25% of his body mass, not eating much and regularly sick.

Vet reckons £500 to open him up and remove the lump, then there is the cost of post operative care….

I hate to put a value on the cat, but it is just a cat, he’s at least 11 years old so no kitten…. Going to be some interesting conversations with my good lady and our 4 year old lad to determine what we do….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a tough choice and one I hear the other end of every day here from the OH the Vet, £500 is not a bad number really for what stuff costs. Things can be tough but sometimes the innings is up. Any chance of a biopsy before surgey?

ac505
    Free Member

No point really according to the vet. The lump needs removed and the prognosis for either really isn’t the best. I think the kindest thing for the cat is to put it to sleep, as he’s not really going to feel that spritely for some time post op even if the op is a success.

JoeG
    Free Member

ac505 – I was in a similar situation. Daisy was 13, lost weight, was vomiting and/or not eating. Very experienced vet did an ultrasound and said that it was almost certainly intestinal cancer, which is pretty common in older cats. Surgery was possible, but likely would only get the cat another few months. I didn’t think that surgery would be fair to her for such a short gain, so I had her euthanized. While I still miss her (and always will) I do believe that I made the right decision, and would not do anything different.

Rinky, the replacement, is purring on my lap right now…

blurty

ac505 – chin up mate, you know what needs doing.

chewkw
    Free Member

ac505 – Member

Bugger… Our cat has a satsuma sized lump in his intestines, …

Same thing happened to our cat but our cat was butchered by a dodgy vet(in the far east) who we think did not qualified as a vet.

Our cat died few hours after the operation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Just back from the vets, bad news’ is closed to new replies.